606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everton v Doncaster

+6
Blue gazza
Made 4 Gwladys
Tonteau
Rotterdam 1985
Goodison_Gringo
Armchair
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Everton v Doncaster - Page 2 Empty Re: Everton v Doncaster

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Wed 28 Aug 2024, 10:26 am

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:only Doncaster but I thought we did ok... I'm ok if Beto looks shit all game then pops up to slot in a winner or two... Chris Wood does it for Forest.... We need a battering ram sub when DCL is knackered or injured (again) and we ain't gonna get anyone better IMO (maybe Chermiti if he's fit).

I like the look of Iroguhamcheeseomelette and Ndiaye was decent I thought... nice to see Seamus back as that position is worrying, even when Patterson (who is shit) is fit. Also good to see Garner & Myko running around a bit (but not a lot else).

Young is confirmed as really, really shit & Keane remains a worry despite doing ok ... praying O'Brien steps up & we have a choice of 2 CB's from him, Tarks & Branth going forwards

UTFT

Yeah I thought exactly this last night actually. Charlie Austin was another one, did fuck all apart from score a goal every 2 games.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 15169
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Wed 28 Aug 2024, 11:07 am

Scoring a goal every two games seems to be an issue for Beto as well, though.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 16031
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Wed 28 Aug 2024, 11:43 am

Tonteau wrote:Scoring a goal every two games seems to be an issue for Beto as well, though.
he hasn't really had many minutes though... even when DCL was in his glassman phase.
To me he's a bit like Niasse ... and I think he'll end the same way... kinda liked, never given a chance, remembered as a battering ram... and disappeared into oblivion somewhere never to be heard of again

Number of posts : 41293
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Wed 28 Aug 2024, 11:47 am

Tonteau wrote:Scoring a goal every two games seems to be an issue for Beto as well, though.

One in two is more a figure of speech really, the old clichéd benchmark for a striker. it's actually quite rare these days to get that kind of strike rate from any striker outside of the elite.

Beto's scoring record was OK when he was starting for Udinese. He doesn't start for us, so it's still difficult to assess how good of a "shit but scores goals" striker he actually is.

My gut feeling without any kind of actual analysis is that, while he's no Gerd Muller himself, he's probably a bit more clinical than DCL with his finishing. DCL's all-round game is better. Someone on here said recently that DCL would probably bang in more goals for Arsenal because they'd create shitloads of chances for him, and that may be true. DCL's attributes are probably wasted on us but could be made more use of in a more sophisticated tactical setup. A bit like Onana really.

I can't shake the feeling that given our fairly basic tactics, Beto (with a run in the team as the starter) might actually provide more goals than DCL. We may find out soon as I wouldn't rule out us flogging DCL before the window shuts.

I'm not trying to talk myself into believing that Beto is the answer to our problems; I'm well aware of his limitations. But if we were to get two or three more goals a season out of him than we'd get from DCL then that's massive, given that when we're solid at the back we win a lot of games 1-0. Three extra goals could give us six extra points.

The other difference between the two, I think, is that Beto seems more prone to feeling sorry for himself when not scoring. He seems to need goals more than DCL, who in fairness never really let his head drop during his miserable run without a goal last season. So maybe Beto's psychological makeup isn't suited to coming off the bench in the 72nd minute every game and ending up scoring one in 7 or 8.

I dunno, just speculating. I'm probably comparing turds here.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  SEFTON Wed 28 Aug 2024, 12:53 pm

Very Poor first half, Young Tim Iroebunam did him self proud once again, we had a better balance with Seamus Coleman in the team.
Disagree about Beto he needs more game time the lad worked his socks off and wants to play for us, could be a valuable substitute.
N’diaye will be are creative player who runs at defenders got him down as being a future fans favourite.Lindstrom is a class player will take time to settle . Everton’s nemesis is we have too many ageing players like Ashley Young- Seamus Coleman and Gana Gueye who are all slowing down due to their age, we need cover for them but, at the moment we need to bring in a RB desperately with two ageing players and Patterson who Dyche don’t rate we are struggling and a defensive midfielder to support young Tim Irobunam. We have started off badly but I’m sure with a few more additions like Mangala we will be ok.

Good result tonight third round awaits.UTFTs cheers
SEFTON
SEFTON

Number of posts : 10647
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Wed 28 Aug 2024, 1:28 pm

Beto, DCL, the fat bloke from the chippy down the road, it makes no real difference. Dyche plays the percentage game - there's a good fan article on Toffeeweb about it - and so nobody is ever going to score loads of goals for us. Dyche, in fact, is always going on about how the whole team needs to chip in with goals. That's because we rarely play on the front foot and go into most games set up to defend with the hope of pinching one from a set piece. So it's just as likely that Gana will be our top scorer as Beto.

This is just another season to get through without relegation. We only need to win nine and draw nine to stay up. Beto, DCL, it doesn't really matter - neither of them will score more than half a dozen goals for us this season. They're there to hold the ball up and win free-kicks.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 26013
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  SEFTON Wed 28 Aug 2024, 9:57 pm

hairy cataract wrote:Beto, DCL, the fat bloke from the chippy down the road, it makes no real difference.  Dyche plays the percentage game - there's a good fan article on Toffeeweb about it - and so nobody is ever going to score loads of goals for us.  Dyche, in fact, is always going on about how the whole team needs to chip in with goals.  That's because we rarely play on the front foot and go into most games set up to defend with the hope of pinching one from a set piece.  So it's just as likely that Gana will be our top scorer as Beto.  

This is just another season to get through without relegation.  We only need to win nine and draw nine to stay up.  Beto, DCL, it doesn't really matter - neither of them will score more than half a dozen goals for us this season.  They're there to hold the ball up and win free-kicks.

Think if DCL stays he will get more goals, can’t see Sean Dyche lasting the season, he’s been good keeping us up but I just don’t see us moving forward the team needs pace we haven’t got much of that ,sooner a takeover happens the clearer things will be.
SEFTON
SEFTON

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Wed 28 Aug 2024, 10:58 pm

Southampton at home then, next round.

Patterson will start that game but will hobble off after 8 minutes. Young will replace him and will be sent off 45 seconds later. Despite all that, we'll dominate the game but Beto and DCL (on for Beto, 72nd minute) will miss 8 gilt-edged chances between them. We'll then concede a goal late on scored by a bloke I've never heard of. Dyche will applaud the effort and insist that "we're getting there".
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  callmebubbles Thu 29 Aug 2024, 12:27 am

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:Southampton at home then, next round.

Patterson will start that game but will hobble off after 8 minutes. Young will replace him and will be sent off 45 seconds later. Despite all that, we'll dominate the game but Beto and DCL (on for Beto, 72nd minute) will miss 8 gilt-edged chances between them. We'll then concede a goal late on scored by a bloke I've never heard of. Dyche will applaud the effort and insist that "we're getting there".

Pretty spot on, but you missed the early Holgate sending off and the late Keane own goal
callmebubbles
callmebubbles

Number of posts : 5573
Registration date : 2006-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  SEFTON Thu 29 Aug 2024, 9:01 pm

[quote="callmebubbles"]
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:Southampton at home then, next round.

Pretty spot on, but you missed the early Holgate sending off and the late Keane own goal[/quot

I think you’re mistaking Holgate for Ashley Young, although Would never ‘not trust’ Dyche to play both.
SEFTON
SEFTON

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2