606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aston Villa v Everton

+5
callmebubbles
Made 4 Gwladys
Rotterdam 1985
Knight of Thorgothshire
SEFTON
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Aston Villa v Everton  - Page 3 Empty Re: Aston Villa v Everton

Post  hairy cataract Sun 15 Sep 2024, 9:36 am

I only saw the first half but, after seeing the highlights of the rest….

The gulf between the top PL strikers and DCL is alarming.  Ok, Haaland would have had a hat trick ten times out of ten for us yesterday, and so would Vardey.  I reckon Richarlison would have had two on a bad day and three on a good day. Same goes for Havertz.  DCL just about managed one.  Not good enough. The way our defence is looking, we need at least a two goal scorer in a game like that.

Defensively, we are down to the bare bones. Youd expect a decent centre half to have dealt with their first goal - and actually if Coleman had been on the pitch, Digne wouldn’t have got the cross in. Garner was way out of position.  Second goal was also the fault of a makeshift looking defence. Their winner was insane to be fair.

We should have a minimum of 4 points on the board from the last two games.  It’s not just that we’ve thrown away two 2 goal leads, it’s also that we played decent teams who were having off days.  Those two games were gifts to us and it’s like we’ve binned the present and kept the wrapping paper. Total stupidity and weakness.

Generally this currently looks an even weaker squad than ever, especially considering  the injuries, the advanced age of some of our first teamers,  and the players who will be out of contract next season so have one eye on the exit.

Early days, I know, but it’s very hard not to see this going to wire again - we’re going to have to pick up a lot of points in the spring once more.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 26013
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sun 15 Sep 2024, 1:54 pm

hairy cataract wrote:I only saw the first half but, after seeing the highlights of the rest….

The gulf between the top PL strikers and DCL is alarming.  Ok, Haaland would have had a hat trick ten times out of ten for us yesterday, and so would Vardey.  I reckon Richarlison would have had two on a bad day and three on a good day. Same goes for Havertz.  DCL just about managed one.  Not good enough. The way our defence is looking, we need at least a two goal scorer in a game like that.

Defensively, we are down to the bare bones. Youd expect a decent centre half to have dealt with their first goal - and actually if Coleman had been on the pitch, Digne wouldn’t have got the cross in. Garner was way out of position.  Second goal was also the fault of a makeshift looking defence. Their winner was insane to be fair.

We should have a minimum of 4 points on the board from the last two games.  It’s not just that we’ve thrown away two 2 goal leads, it’s also that we played decent teams who were having off days.  Those two games were gifts to us and it’s like we’ve binned the present and kept the wrapping paper. Total stupidity and weakness.

Generally this currently looks an even weaker squad than ever, especially considering  the injuries, the advanced age of some of our first teamers,  and the players who will be out of contract next season so have one eye on the exit.

Early days, I know, but it’s very hard not to see this going to wire again - we’re going to have to pick up a lot of points in the spring once more.

Mate, I’m not sure it’s the full back’s job to stop the opposing full back from advancing untouched into 30 yards of space down our left flank. Garner probably is tucked in a bit too tight to the CB’s but that goal was caused by a structural breakdown which left no midfielder to track Digne’s run. Oh and also Keane apparently not knowing that Ollie Watkins was behind him.

Talking to my lads during the game, we agreed that Dyche’s modus operandi seems to be to win games in bunches and lose games in bunches. It’s rarely win-lose-win with him, is it? I’m quite looking forward to our 5 game winning run.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 15169
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee2 Sun 15 Sep 2024, 3:05 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:I only saw the first half but, after seeing the highlights of the rest….

Mate, I’m not sure it’s the full back’s job to stop the opposing full back from advancing untouched into 30 yards of space down our left flank. Garner probably is tucked in a bit too tight to the CB’s but that goal was caused by a structural breakdown which left no midfielder to track Digne’s run. Oh and also Keane apparently not knowing that Ollie Watkins was behind him.

Talking to my lads during the game, we agreed that Dyche’s modus operandi seems to be to win games in bunches and lose games in bunches. It’s rarely win-lose-win with him, is it? I’m quite looking forward to our 5 game winning run.
SD likes to protect the centre ground, so we often see the winger/overlapping FB in loads of space. It happened several times yesterday, as with most games, and SD thinks we can deal with any cross that comes our way. I guess we are waiting for the return of Braithwaite, Coleman, Broja before we judge SD. Mind you, if Textor buys the club, SD will be gone. Have you listened to Textor's interviews? He's going to go for a less austere manager. He'll be encouraging Thirlwell to get CBs more in the Stones/Guehi style methinks.
So, Southampton's next.
Yankthattoffee2
Yankthattoffee2

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2023-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Sun 15 Sep 2024, 5:46 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Yes, there was a piece on Toffweeb, I think, about that. Usually a bunch of wins in December when it’s a crowded programme, then again at the end of the season. Essentially when other teams are knackered.

It’s all a bit depressing really. I’m going up for the Palace game and if we’re still on zero points after that then I’m moving into officially shitting my pants mode
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sun 15 Sep 2024, 10:32 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Yes, there was a piece on Toffweeb, I think, about that.  Usually a bunch of wins in December when it’s a crowded programme, then again at the end of the season. Essentially when other teams are knackered.  

It’s all a bit depressing really. I’m going up for the Palace game and if we’re still on zero points after that then I’m moving into officially shitting my pants mode

There's also the run of four or five draws in succession to look forward to. That's our "solid at the back but supine up front" phase. Usually 0-0's but with the odd 1-1 thriller.

My biggest concern at the moment is that there are no obvious Sheffield Uniteds knocking around this season. Southampton looked decent against Man U, for 30 minutes at least. Forest have just won at Anfield. Ipswich could still be anything but are unlikely to be as bad as Sheff U and Burnley were last year. If I weren't so used to all this, I'd probably be depressed. As it is, I remain somewhat ambivalent, resigned to another relegation battle but far from convinced that we're going down.

It's all about Branthwaite, really.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Sun 15 Sep 2024, 11:21 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Yes, there was a piece on Toffweeb, I think, about that.  Usually a bunch of wins in December when it’s a crowded programme, then again at the end of the season. Essentially when other teams are knackered.  

There's also the run of four or five draws in succession to look forward to. That's our "solid at the back but supine up front" phase. Usually 0-0's but with the odd 1-1 thriller.

My biggest concern at the moment is that there are no obvious Sheffield Uniteds knocking around this season. Southampton looked decent against Man U, for 30 minutes at least. Forest have just won at Anfield. Ipswich could still be anything but are unlikely to be as bad as Sheff U and Burnley were last year. If I weren't so used to all this, I'd probably be depressed. As it is, I remain somewhat ambivalent, resigned to another relegation battle but far from convinced that we're going down.

The way we're playing at the moment, we'd need Branthwaite, Tarks and 6'6" O'Brien to stop the crosses that Pickford doesn't come for. Five at the back - with McNeil and Harrison as wing-backs - Mangela, Tim and Gana in front of them, Ndiaye and DCL up top. Only chance of us stringing together a few nil nils before we go on our winning streak in April.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Mon 16 Sep 2024, 12:40 am

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

The way we're playing at the moment, we'd need Branthwaite, Tarks and 6'6" O'Brien to stop the crosses that Pickford doesn't come for.   Five at the back - with McNeil and Harrison as wing-backs - Mangela, Tim and Gana in front of them, Ndiaye and DCL up top.   Only chance of us stringing together a few nil nils before we go on our winning streak in April.

I agree, especially with our full back issues. But I suspect this is too radical for Dyche. Like, if he was going to do this then he'd have done it already to give us a bit of extra protection with Keane in the team.

O'Brien looked OK when he came on (thus deepening the mystery of Dyche's Keane obsession.) He ain't some lanky Crouch type, he looks well-built, and he doesn't look slow either.

Imagine having to deal with those three plus DCL at corners. Play to your strengths and all that.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee2 Mon 16 Sep 2024, 2:11 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

The way we're playing at the moment, we'd need Branthwaite, Tarks and 6'6" O'Brien to stop the crosses that Pickford doesn't come for.   Five at the back - with McNeil and Harrison as wing-backs - Mangela, Tim and Gana in front of them, Ndiaye and DCL up top.   Only chance of us stringing together a few nil nils before we go on our winning streak in April.

I agree, especially with our full back issues. But I suspect this is too radical for Dyche. Like, if he was going to do this then he'd have done it already to give us a bit of extra protection with Keane in the team.

O'Brien looked OK when he came on (thus deepening the mystery of Dyche's Keane obsession.) He ain't some lanky Crouch type, he looks well-built, and he doesn't look slow either.

Imagine having to deal with those three plus DCL at corners. Play to your strengths and all that.
O'Brien got himself in a couple of tight situations, and just bullied his way out of them.
Yankthattoffee2
Yankthattoffee2

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2023-10-30

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Yesterday at 9:51 am

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Lumper wrote:
Tonteau wrote:Well, the result we all expected delivered in a typically Everton fashion. I think we’re going to be ok. Branthwaite can’t come back soon enough and we need a proper right back, but if we can just get a win somewhere we’ll go on a great run and smash a load of teams up. Or something.

So Dyche is probably on his last legs at the minute and it wouldn’t bother me if he did go but I don’t think he’s lost the dressing room yet. Saying that if he’s not getting results it doesn’t matter who he has support from.
Southampton on Tuesday in the Pepsi pisspot... then Leicester ...

..lose those 2 and see ya later fella Aston Villa v Everton  - Page 3 Buttkick
One to go !

Number of posts : 41293

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3