606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Real Madrid 2 Everton 1 (Jelavic)

+15
My other LB is a Ferrari
Michael Crosby S74
Dixie Land
Blue gazza
Knight of Thorgothshire
Made 4 Gwladys
Armchair
Helenqu
RhinoJagz
ToffeeDan
SEFTON
Tonteau
Bryan
Doc( Ninetoes )blue
SouthernSmugToffee
19 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Real Madrid 2 Everton 1 (Jelavic) - Page 3 Empty Re: Real Madrid 2 Everton 1 (Jelavic)

Post  ToffeeDan Sun 04 Aug 2013, 3:18 am

Some very positive things to take from this.

Playing decent football - need to be more direct in the delivery (i.e. more penetrative). Distin "goal" could have stood, missed out on a 50-50 penalty (was Kev in the box?), Fellaini hit the post. Real were (at times) very good but you have to question the 2 goals - certainly the 2nd goal was a mile offside and the first one was questionable as well. Jags could have got an equaliser (and he was having his shirt pulled). All in all feels like another Collina type performance by the ref but fortunately it wasn't critical. I think the PL will need to be alert to Everton's style next season - and still playing football, not lumping it into the box, in the final minutes.

Naismith was a lot better (sharper) than I expected. GD is lightning quick - will definitely make an impact (perhaps off the bench).

Liverpoole Echo Sun 12 March 1234: Euerton celebrate another drubbing of ye Shoite - quaffing muche Ale (Ye Spellowe, Blacke Horse, Wims Lowe (upstairs)) and spliffs & oft singing new chant "1,2 - 1,2,3 - 1,2,3,4 - 5-Nil." Big Dunkane (Bird Keeper of Euerton) was, yet again, sent-off by Judge Polle for landing several blows at head of serf James of Carreggore & Red Shoite Stephen Meelaar, Squire of Hitune fame who wed Ladie of The Night Alexa de Curraine and is wont to fight pubbe minstrels, was given an earlie dunking in Ye Mere of Stanlee Parke for an elbough to face of local serf Hibbeyrt. After being given ye olde clothe of vinegar by Rath-Boyne Hibbeyrt returned to scoreth fifth & finale goale past Ye Flying Pigge Thomas of Lawrence in Parke Ende - a riot followed. Euerton: Weste, Hibbeyrt, Wilsone, La Boyne, Mountyfielde, Balle, Kendel, Harveigh, Fergusaine, Latcheford, Deen of Tran Mere
ToffeeDan
ToffeeDan

Number of posts : 20252
Registration date : 2005-10-14

http://www.packers.com/

Back to top Go down

Real Madrid 2 Everton 1 (Jelavic) - Page 3 Empty Re: Real Madrid 2 Everton 1 (Jelavic)

Post  RhinoJagz Sun 04 Aug 2013, 8:38 am

Nothing to see here little Everton. Move on, move on...

Cristiano Ronaldo scored one and was instrumental in creating another as Real Madrid beat Everton 2-1 to reach the final of the International Champions Cup in New York.

The Portuguese star opened the scoring at the Dodger Stadium before assisting Mesut Ozil in Madrid's second, while Nikica Jelavic grabbed a second half consolation for the Toffees.

And the margin would have been wider had it not been for some excellent saves from Everton's American keeper Tim Howard.

Ronaldo, who missed a glorious chance to open the scoring early on, fired the Spanish visitors ahead on 17 when he collected Ozil's pass before breaking free of the Everton defence to tap the ball past Howard.

Everton's Marouane Fellaini glanced a header off a post on 24 before Madrid doubled their advantage seven minutes later as Ronaldo combined with Ozil for the latter to make it 2-0.

Everton pulled a goal back shortly after the hour mark when a Steven Naismith header found Jelavic whose acrobatic strike clipped keeper Diego Lopez, as well as the post, before crossing the line.

Number of posts : 26901
Registration date : 2006-01-22

http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Helenqu Sun 04 Aug 2013, 8:51 am

Only managed to wake up for the second half but what I saw seemed OK. Nais worked hard and I think has more to give than he showed under Moyes and Jelly has found his touch again.
"Little" Everton could well do OK this season given some fair refereeing. Mark my words we will be above MAN U at Xmas :-)
Helenqu
Helenqu

Number of posts : 4895
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.silverchainsuk.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  My other LB is a Ferrari Sun 04 Aug 2013, 9:12 am

Helenqu wrote:Only managed to wake up for the second half but what I saw seemed OK. Nais worked hard and I think has more to give than he showed under Moyes and Jelly has found his touch again.
"Little" Everton could well do OK this season given some fair refereeing. Mark my words we will be above MAN U at Xmas :-)

How were the new boys? Kone, GD?
My other LB is a Ferrari
My other LB is a Ferrari

Number of posts : 1307
Registration date : 2006-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sun 04 Aug 2013, 10:47 am

At least we didn't get spanked.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22542
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sun 04 Aug 2013, 1:10 pm

Jelli seems sharp cheers 

Number of posts : 41001
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dixie Land Sun 04 Aug 2013, 1:20 pm

My other LB is a Ferrari wrote:
Helenqu wrote:Only managed to wake up for the second half but what I saw seemed OK. Nais worked hard and I think has more to give than he showed under Moyes and Jelly has found his touch again.

How were the new boys? Kone, GD?

Kone was completely starved of service throughout the first half. He ran his legs off trying to find space but he fed off scraps. He did look fairly poor when he did get the ball but was never really given a chance to show what he can do. Deulofeu looked sharp when he came on and was much physically stronger than I thought he would be. He wasn't afraid to run at the defenders and got one great cross into the Madrid box. As TD said, he may prove to be more of an impact sub this season but he will improve the side and add something that we haven't had in the past few months.
Dixie Land
Dixie Land

Number of posts : 20992
Registration date : 2006-01-07

http://www.myspace.com/dixieland1978

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sun 04 Aug 2013, 2:24 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:Jelli seems sharp cheers 

Cheers for the highlights!

3 things that stand out to me:

* Losing the ball with loads of players in the attacking half can be so dangerous, as proved by the first goal.
* Both of their goals came off through balls. Need to get that sorted.
* Last season Jelavic would not even have made contact with the ball, never mind scoring - very positive.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74405

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue gazza Sun 04 Aug 2013, 5:11 pm

both their goals looked offside Shocked 
Blue gazza
Blue gazza

Number of posts : 8009

Back to top Go down

Post  Dixie Land Sun 04 Aug 2013, 5:19 pm

Blueberto wrote:both their goals looked offside Shocked 

I thought they were both offside. Also, I thought the foul on Mirallas was in the box when the ref gave a freekick. I also thought that Distin's goal being disallowed was very soft to say the least.

Shocking decisions.
Dixie Land
Dixie Land

Number of posts : 20992
Registration date : 2006-01-07

http://www.myspace.com/dixieland1978

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Crosby S74 Sun 04 Aug 2013, 6:40 pm

Hilarious watching the kids on twitter moaning about this competition in America.

Everton literally cannot do anything right, whatever they do.

Number of posts : 28054
Registration date : 2005-10-13

http://www.myspace.com/mtcefc

Back to top Go down

Post  My other LB is a Ferrari Sun 04 Aug 2013, 7:54 pm

Michael Crosby S74 wrote:Hilarious watching the kids on twitter moaning about this competition in America.

What were they saying?
My other LB is a Ferrari
My other LB is a Ferrari

Number of posts : 1307
Registration date : 2006-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Crosby S74 Sun 04 Aug 2013, 9:22 pm

Michael Crosby S74 wrote:Hilarious watching the kids on twitter moaning about this competition in America.

What were they saying?

Apparantly the organisers have "changed the rules" of the competition so LA Galaxy play Real Madrid in the third place match and Everton have been relegated to the fifth place match.

Then they started accusing the ref of not giving that penalty on Mirallas and allowing the Madrid goals (which were offside to be fair).

They are only gloryfied training sessions, and I dont blame the organisers for wanting LA to play Madrid.

Number of posts : 28054
Registration date : 2005-10-13

http://www.myspace.com/mtcefc

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry Horne's Equaliser Sun 04 Aug 2013, 9:45 pm

Michael Crosby S74 wrote:

What were they saying?

Apparantly the organisers have "changed the rules" of the competition so LA Galaxy play Real Madrid in the third place match and Everton have been relegated to the fifth place match.

Then they started accusing the ref of not giving that penalty on Mirallas and allowing the Madrid goals (which were offside to be fair).

They are only gloryfied training sessions, and I dont blame the organisers for wanting LA to play Madrid.

Real are in the final though - they've won both of their games.

I guess the point is that, in 90 minute matches, LA Galaxy have outperformed Everton in the sense that they won a game and lost a game, whereas Everton haven't actually won a game yet. As they were in the same pool, they've gone in to the final game a stage higher. It's an odd way of doing things, but there is a bit of sense in it.

Like you say, who cares? It's a few friendlies against some of the worlds best teams. We're doing just fine.

Number of posts : 13161
Registration date : 2005-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Mon 05 Aug 2013, 9:39 am

I know we should have won that game in fairness, but it worries me that we conceded two goals because we can't defend from so far up the pitch. Everyone will have seen our weakness and they will try to exploit it in the prem, do you think Boberto will be able to get our defensive cover sorted under his system?

Also was Kone really as bad as everyone was making out? I know it might be ring rust, but its a worry that he only played half a game and look sluggish when he's supposed to be a pacey striker....
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Number of posts : 25877
Registration date : 2005-10-14

http://something-wild.org/gallery/Hotties3/aaa

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Mon 05 Aug 2013, 9:58 am

Saccum Praestigiatorum wrote:I know we should have won that game in fairness, but it worries me that we conceded two goals because we can't defend from so far up the pitch.  Everyone will have seen our weakness and they will try to exploit it in the prem, do you think Boberto will be able to get our defensive cover sorted under his system?

Also was Kone really as bad as everyone was making out? I know it might be ring rust, but its a worry that he only played half a game and look sluggish when he's supposed to be a pacey striker....

But both goals were offside, so we clearly can defend from so far up the pitch!

Overall, I think Martinez is working on new systems with the players, and they will hopefully get better as time goes on. Also, as a manager, he seems willing - like Moyes - to change systems on a game by game basis. And, to be fair, we won't be playing against Ronaldo and Ozil in the PL, or anyone close to that good.

On the other hand, I'm sure we will get a few dodgy moments at the back. Hopefully, they'll be outweighed by the better moments up front.

hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25870

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Mon 05 Aug 2013, 12:06 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Saccum Praestigiatorum wrote:I know we should have won that game in fairness, but it worries me that we conceded two goals because we can't defend from so far up the pitch.  Everyone will have seen our weakness and they will try to exploit it in the prem, do you think Boberto will be able to get our defensive cover sorted under his system?

But both goals were offside, so we clearly can defend from so far up the pitch!

Overall, I think Martinez is working on new systems with the players, and they will hopefully get better as time goes on.  Also, as a manager, he seems willing - like Moyes - to change systems on a game by game basis.  And, to be fair, we won't be playing against Ronaldo and Ozil in the PL, or anyone close to that good.  

On the other hand, I'm sure we will get a few dodgy moments at the back.  Hopefully, they'll be outweighed by the better moments up front.  

I'm not, so far, a big lover of the back 3 idea.
We used it last year against Stoke, but that was deffo a one-off, which worked brilliantly.
the 2 wide-outs don't seem to get into the game in the same way. Baines always made his great runs from deep, not with the forward-wide position.
I'd prefer us to play a standard line-up, very well, rather than a superior tactic, poorly.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3