606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar

+45
Made 4 Gwladys
Barry Horne's Equaliser
Da Judge
hairy cataract
SouthernSmugToffee
Armchair
Gravy & Chips
Super
RhinoJagz
Blue gazza
SEFTON
The President
Yankthattoffee
Mr_Ben
Tonteau
Merseyblue
Statman
Helenqu
Goodison_Gringo
Sack the Juggler
VenezuelaBlue
Dixie Land
Lumper
Michael Crosby S74
Doc( Ninetoes )blue
Valentino Blue
Kilted_Toffee
He's Our Tater Not Yours
notepad
BB
ToffeeDan
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
MagicMike
Albert
Bryan
toffee_pies
anticipate_the_pass
The Griffin
Garry Adams
Top Balcony Blue
Brummie No Mates
Bluey
Sheep Flavour
Gazbow
paul
49 posters

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next

Go down

23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Empty Re: 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar

Post  Da Judge Sat 20 Mar 2010, 7:15 pm

Blueyaletdinov wrote:
UWIST61 wrote:
Blueyaletdinov wrote:
UWIST61 wrote:
toffee_pies wrote:Gone on loan to Blackpool apparently 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Confused

I don't have aproblem TBH. Its good management.

Everton have some key gsames where we need to perform - we have a stronger 1st Squad. Its unlikely he would be playing week in week out this year. Blackpool are on the edge of the playoff bubble and if he is being loaned then I expect its to ensure that he is playing... key crunch games with some (but not as much) pressure... and gaining the experience for when he does come back.

If we get a key crock in Pip or Hibbo, then with the loan we can just recall him ...

As I said, sound business.

It's great logic but but both Hibbo and Pip really ain't that good. But we don't have much to face. Straight choice of breaking new blood or using experience to see us out. He obviously has to keep team happy, but I am of a mood to shake it up. 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Confused

We have City and Villa coming up... today's game was crucial because it allows us to edge to the point where a win against Citteh will place us just 2 points behind them.... Villa as was shown today are chokable and my be looking more at the FAC ... we may yet see ourselves into the Europa..... COYB
and our away form?

Well that's not been too shabby since Christmas.... has it? The biggest regret of the season (excluding the delay in getting long-terms back) was the woeful outcomes of the derbies. In my mind we should have probably won both - but being more realistic we should have drawn the Analfield and won at GP. That creates a nine point swing between us and the Shoite... and makes us very close in the league which is a truer reflection of the relative squads.

I am much more hopeful as to our prospects than theirs next year..... cheers

The man who is prepared to wear a Shoite top IF, AND ONLY IF, you are prepared to cough the £25,000. Its true it was broadcast on National Radio!!
Da Judge
Da Judge

Number of posts : 9784
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Empty Re: 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar

Post  Statman Sat 20 Mar 2010, 7:46 pm

Blueyaletdinov wrote:
UWIST61 wrote:
Blueyaletdinov wrote:
UWIST61 wrote:
toffee_pies wrote:Gone on loan to Blackpool apparently 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Confused

I don't have aproblem TBH. Its good management.

Everton have some key gsames where we need to perform - we have a stronger 1st Squad. Its unlikely he would be playing week in week out this year. Blackpool are on the edge of the playoff bubble and if he is being loaned then I expect its to ensure that he is playing... key crunch games with some (but not as much) pressure... and gaining the experience for when he does come back.

If we get a key crock in Pip or Hibbo, then with the loan we can just recall him ...

As I said, sound business.

It's great logic but but both Hibbo and Pip really ain't that good. But we don't have much to face. Straight choice of breaking new blood or using experience to see us out. He obviously has to keep team happy, but I am of a mood to shake it up. 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Confused

We have City and Villa coming up... today's game was crucial because it allows us to edge to the point where a win against Citteh will place us just 2 points behind them.... Villa as was shown today are chokable and my be looking more at the FAC ... we may yet see ourselves into the Europa..... COYB
and our away form?

You sound like my dad. He never stops fucking moaning either. Sleep
Statman
Statman

Number of posts : 7093
Registration date : 2005-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Brummie No Mates Sat 20 Mar 2010, 9:24 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me... If you fancy a bit of a giggle check out the story on Toffeeweb about this! I found it through News Now, and true to form TW have managed to find a negative spin to put on it! Sleep

Long story short, by sending Coleman out on loan Moyes has settled for finishing 8th! 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Confused

Ah Toffeeweb... 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Jerkit 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 F_whistl
Brummie No Mates
Brummie No Mates

Number of posts : 6680
Registration date : 2005-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Top Balcony Blue Sat 20 Mar 2010, 9:33 pm

Would have liked to have seen the lad playing a part for us in the remaining games tbh, they can have hibbo instead
Top Balcony Blue
Top Balcony Blue

Number of posts : 9812
Registration date : 2005-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Crosby S74 Tue 23 Mar 2010, 9:42 pm

Been on fire tonight, set up 3 of Blackpools 5 goals against Swansea.
Michael Crosby S74
Michael Crosby S74

Number of posts : 28054
Registration date : 2005-10-13

http://www.myspace.com/mtcefc

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluey Tue 23 Mar 2010, 10:11 pm

Michael Crosby S74 wrote:Been on fire tonight, set up 3 of Blackpools 5 goals against Swansea.

IMWT?
Bluey
Bluey

Number of posts : 23509
Registration date : 2005-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Brummie No Mates Wed 24 Mar 2010, 1:26 pm

Blueyaletdinov wrote:
Michael Crosby S74 wrote:Been on fire tonight, set up 3 of Blackpools 5 goals against Swansea.

IMWT?
cheers 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Bowdown
Brummie No Mates
Brummie No Mates

Number of posts : 6680

Back to top Go down

Post  Dixie Land Wed 24 Mar 2010, 1:28 pm

Brummie No Mates wrote:
Blueyaletdinov wrote:

IMWT?
cheers 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Bowdown

This will give him the confidence that he can make that right back slot at Everton his next season.

Either that or we will sell him to Walsall for £30k.
Dixie Land
Dixie Land

Number of posts : 20992
Registration date : 2006-01-07

http://www.myspace.com/dixieland1978

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Wed 24 Mar 2010, 1:32 pm

I made it 2 assists (wasn't paying that much attention, mind). But he had a key contribution to another and had a decent dig at goal in his first game for them, made the keeper pull of a good save. Looks like he's getting some good match time and that's what he needs.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15993

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Top Balcony Blue Wed 24 Mar 2010, 2:47 pm

http://fansonline.net/blackpool/mb/view.php?id=326201
Top Balcony Blue
Top Balcony Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Super Wed 24 Mar 2010, 2:50 pm

Top Balcony Blue wrote:http://fansonline.net/blackpool/mb/view.php?id=326201

Couple of comments about Everton and Charlie Adam in there as well 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Confused
Super
Super

Number of posts : 38101
Registration date : 2005-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoJagz Wed 24 Mar 2010, 3:09 pm

Super wrote:

Couple of comments about Everton and Charlie Adam in there as well 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Confused

I think the Charlie/Everton deal is as good as done as that is the second time I have seen Moyes at Bloomers in about 2 months.

If Coleman is part of the deal then I will be more than happy.

Get to fuck!!! lol! lol! lol!

Number of posts : 26901
Registration date : 2006-01-22

http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Crosby S74 Wed 24 Mar 2010, 3:13 pm

Bluejags wrote:
Super wrote:

I think the Charlie/Everton deal is as good as done as that is the second time I have seen Moyes at Bloomers in about 2 months.

On loan for a year wouldn't do anyone any harm.
Michael Crosby S74
Michael Crosby S74

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoJagz Wed 24 Mar 2010, 3:14 pm

Michael Crosby S74 wrote:
Bluejags wrote:
Super wrote:

To be honest, id be disappointed if he is not playing as much games for us as Rodwell next season.

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Crosby S74 Wed 24 Mar 2010, 3:15 pm

Bluejags wrote:
Michael Crosby S74 wrote:
Bluejags wrote:
Super wrote:

To be honest, id be disappointed if he is not playing as much games for us as Rodwell next season.

He's only played about 3 games hasn't he?

I'd send him on loan for a year, then he can replace Neville.
Michael Crosby S74
Michael Crosby S74

Back to top Go down

Post  Top Balcony Blue Wed 24 Mar 2010, 3:17 pm

He's been better in those three games than neville has all season 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 F_laugh
Top Balcony Blue
Top Balcony Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 25 Mar 2010, 1:00 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8586198.stm

video of the game.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  The Griffin Thu 25 Mar 2010, 1:24 pm

Think I had a dream I was playing togger with Seamus last night? Either that or I was singing his praises to someone about how fast he is?? 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Confused scratch 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 8146
The Griffin
The Griffin

Number of posts : 4994
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Thu 25 Mar 2010, 1:34 pm

The Griffin wrote:Think I had a dream I was playing togger with Seamus last night? Either that or I was singing his praises to someone about how fast he is?? 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Confused scratch 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 8146
You had a dream about seamen? Suspect Wink
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74405

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Garry Adams Thu 25 Mar 2010, 1:35 pm

Tonteau wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8586198.stm

video of the game.

That's some pretty impressive attacking play from him
Garry Adams
Garry Adams

Number of posts : 6065
Registration date : 2005-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post  The Griffin Thu 25 Mar 2010, 3:03 pm

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
The Griffin wrote:Think I had a dream I was playing togger with Seamus last night? Either that or I was singing his praises to someone about how fast he is?? 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 Confused scratch 23: Seamus Coleman - Sligo's overpriced superstar - Page 4 8146
You had a dream about seamen? Suspect Wink

Ahoy! Very Happy
The Griffin
The Griffin

Number of posts : 4994
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoJagz Sun 28 Mar 2010, 7:07 pm

Good article in Irish Independent today on Seamus.

Sounds like he has a real good head on his shoulders and almost old fashioned in his approach to footie. Head down, patient for his chance and trust in Moyes. No notions of himself despite the hype.

Coleman's leap of faith takes him to new heights
By SEN RYAN
Sunday March 28 2010
A SPORTSMAN'S life is a short one -- and individual sportsmen react differently to that ticking clock, which is busy measuring off their allotted span at sport's top table. This was brought home to me when I had occasion to interview two of Ireland's brightest 21-year-old talents.

Galway hurler Joe Canning, although the proud owner of two All-Ireland minor medals, an U21 medal, two All-Ireland club medals and a Young Hurler of the Year award, was intensely impatient. "I have won nothing," he declared, "and time is running out." He won't be happy until he has a senior medal to complete his collection.

Everton full-back Seamus Coleman is of a different disposition. If he has a mantra, it is embodied in one word: patience. It's surprising really, because he made the jump from League of Ireland football with Sligo Rovers to the FA Premier League within 10 months of his arrival at Goodison Park, and this despite losing valuable time overcoming a foot infection. From October until January, he was a regular in Everton's first-team squad, but that changed with the return to action of Phil Neville.

Acknowledging the hot competition for the right-back position he covets, Coleman repeats his mantra: "I've got to be patient. When I went to Sligo, it took half a season to get on the team. Eventually I played a lot of games for Sligo, but there's a big difference, so I'm not going to play every game for Everton."

He has another two seasons on his contract, and his goal is to impress manager David Moyes. However, even though going on loan to Blackpool for a month is part of that plan, he's not sure if Moyes will see him in action there. "He's a busy man," he concedes.

Make no mistake, though, Moyes will have read the reports and been suitably impressed by Coleman's display against promotion rivals Swansea City last Tuesday. In a terrific performance, the right-back laid on three goals in a 5-1 romp.

Good delivery from wide positions is a huge part of Coleman's repertoire. When he came on as a sub against Tottenham in December, it was his crosses which helped Everton pull back a two-goal deficit and draw 2-2.

This ability, in which the ball is delivered at pace, teasing the goalkeeper and favouring the attacker, is highly regarded at the top level and, with regular exposure in his current loan spell, he could catch the eye of Giovanni Trapattoni.

Already, he can see the benefits. "I did okay in my first game against Crystal Palace and then the Swansea game was as good as I can remember playing and it did my confidence a lot of good. It's also a good test of my stamina. In the Palace game I was tired after 80 minutes, but I was a lot fitter against Swansea, and that means better control and touch right to the end. There are a lot of advantages to being match-fit."

There's no danger of him treating the Championship as a comfort zone. Having played for Everton against Benfica, Tottenham and Manchester City, Swansea must have been easier then? "I wouldn't say this level is easier because I haven't played regularly at Everton. It's a very competitive league, in which any team can beat any other team, and that's what I want. Reserve team football is important for my development, but in the Championship there's a lot to play for."

Considering he was more a Gaelic footballer four years ago, Coleman's rise has been pretty rapid. Coaches John Conwell and Brian Dorrian at St Catherine's, Killybegs, and Sligo Rovers' Paul Cook and Gerry Carr laid solid foundations to prepare him for the move to Everton in January last year. He was one of those talents who missed out on caps at schoolboy and youth level, his first honours coming as an U21.

"I played a lot of Gaelic and didn't move to Sligo Rovers till I was 17," he explained, "and while St Catherine's were prominent in Donegal they were probably under the radar at a national level. I went to Sligo to play League of Ireland and professional soccer, and when you've done that, you want to play for Ireland."

His speedy, aggressive play with Sligo soon had the scouts flocking, and a number of clubs were mentioned before Everton made an offer. "Once I heard about Everton, that's where I wanted to go," he said, and he's delighted with his progress. "At the start of the season I wouldn't have expected to play seven times for Everton, and now I'm delighted to get more games with Blackpool.

"I wanted to get out on loan, but the final decision was the manager's. I don't know what his thinking was, but I was told about Blackpool and I couldn't wait to get some games."

At Sligo, he drove home to Killybegs every day after training, so the move to Liverpool put a stop to that. However, he has visits from home every other weekend. And the fan club will be growing, if last Tuesday's display is anything to go by.

Back to top Go down

Post  anticipate_the_pass Sun 28 Mar 2010, 7:56 pm

Bluejags wrote:Good article in Irish Independent today on Seamus.

Sounds like he has a real good head on his shoulders and almost old fashioned in his approach to footie. Head down, patient for his chance and trust in Moyes. No notions of himself despite the hype.

Coleman's leap of faith takes him to new heights
By SEN RYAN
Sunday March 28 2010
A SPORTSMAN'S life is a short one -- and individual sportsmen react differently to that ticking clock, which is busy measuring off their allotted span at sport's top table. This was brought home to me when I had occasion to interview two of Ireland's brightest 21-year-old talents.

Galway hurler Joe Canning, although the proud owner of two All-Ireland minor medals, an U21 medal, two All-Ireland club medals and a Young Hurler of the Year award, was intensely impatient. "I have won nothing," he declared, "and time is running out." He won't be happy until he has a senior medal to complete his collection.

Everton full-back Seamus Coleman is of a different disposition. If he has a mantra, it is embodied in one word: patience. It's surprising really, because he made the jump from League of Ireland football with Sligo Rovers to the FA Premier League within 10 months of his arrival at Goodison Park, and this despite losing valuable time overcoming a foot infection. From October until January, he was a regular in Everton's first-team squad, but that changed with the return to action of Phil Neville.

Acknowledging the hot competition for the right-back position he covets, Coleman repeats his mantra: "I've got to be patient. When I went to Sligo, it took half a season to get on the team. Eventually I played a lot of games for Sligo, but there's a big difference, so I'm not going to play every game for Everton."

He has another two seasons on his contract, and his goal is to impress manager David Moyes. However, even though going on loan to Blackpool for a month is part of that plan, he's not sure if Moyes will see him in action there. "He's a busy man," he concedes.

Make no mistake, though, Moyes will have read the reports and been suitably impressed by Coleman's display against promotion rivals Swansea City last Tuesday. In a terrific performance, the right-back laid on three goals in a 5-1 romp.

Good delivery from wide positions is a huge part of Coleman's repertoire. When he came on as a sub against Tottenham in December, it was his crosses which helped Everton pull back a two-goal deficit and draw 2-2.

This ability, in which the ball is delivered at pace, teasing the goalkeeper and favouring the attacker, is highly regarded at the top level and, with regular exposure in his current loan spell, he could catch the eye of Giovanni Trapattoni.

Already, he can see the benefits. "I did okay in my first game against Crystal Palace and then the Swansea game was as good as I can remember playing and it did my confidence a lot of good. It's also a good test of my stamina. In the Palace game I was tired after 80 minutes, but I was a lot fitter against Swansea, and that means better control and touch right to the end. There are a lot of advantages to being match-fit."

There's no danger of him treating the Championship as a comfort zone. Having played for Everton against Benfica, Tottenham and Manchester City, Swansea must have been easier then? "I wouldn't say this level is easier because I haven't played regularly at Everton. It's a very competitive league, in which any team can beat any other team, and that's what I want. Reserve team football is important for my development, but in the Championship there's a lot to play for."

Considering he was more a Gaelic footballer four years ago, Coleman's rise has been pretty rapid. Coaches John Conwell and Brian Dorrian at St Catherine's, Killybegs, and Sligo Rovers' Paul Cook and Gerry Carr laid solid foundations to prepare him for the move to Everton in January last year. He was one of those talents who missed out on caps at schoolboy and youth level, his first honours coming as an U21.

"I played a lot of Gaelic and didn't move to Sligo Rovers till I was 17," he explained, "and while St Catherine's were prominent in Donegal they were probably under the radar at a national level. I went to Sligo to play League of Ireland and professional soccer, and when you've done that, you want to play for Ireland."

His speedy, aggressive play with Sligo soon had the scouts flocking, and a number of clubs were mentioned before Everton made an offer. "Once I heard about Everton, that's where I wanted to go," he said, and he's delighted with his progress. "At the start of the season I wouldn't have expected to play seven times for Everton, and now I'm delighted to get more games with Blackpool.

"I wanted to get out on loan, but the final decision was the manager's. I don't know what his thinking was, but I was told about Blackpool and I couldn't wait to get some games."

At Sligo, he drove home to Killybegs every day after training, so the move to Liverpool put a stop to that. However, he has visits from home every other weekend. And the fan club will be growing, if last Tuesday's display is anything to go by.

The loan to Blackpool is a smart one, keep your eye on the prize Seamus.
cheers
anticipate_the_pass
anticipate_the_pass

Number of posts : 1014
Registration date : 2006-02-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 01 Apr 2010, 11:03 am

Bit old, but a nice summary from Ian "the mentalist" Holloway.

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/national-football/Everton-loan-star-almost-lost.6172392.jp

SEAMUS Coleman might have been a Blackpool player at the start of the season, but for an injury scare.
Ian Holloway has revealed he intended to sign the Everton youngster last summer.

In the end Coleman suffered a serious problem – and Holloway was given some money and went for Neal Eardley instead.

But after a scan revealed that Eardley has suffered a 14cm tear of his hamstring – which will rule him out until the final days of the season – Holloway has been able to resurrect the deal for Coleman.

The 21-year-old has signed for a month and will make his second start against Swansea tonight.

"Seamus is an Irish lad who will literally run through a brick wall for you and I am delighted we've added him to the squad," said the boss.

"He has more discipline in his left toe than my whole squad has got.

"He's a fantastic lad and he could well have been here already had things turned out differently.

"I was going to borrow him at the start of the season but it fell through because he had a terrible blister situation where he almost lost one of his toes. It went septic and the lad has been out most of the season.

"I was then given some money by the board and that allowed me to buy Eardley.

"But Coleman is a wonderful kid, as we saw on Saturday. Everybody around him was flailing and falling to bits and he just kept going and doing what he does.

"By the end of the game the fans were loving him. He was running with it and trying to get us back in the game.

"He never stops. In fact he's a bit of a Duracell bunny and it is great to have him."
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  mindyerEnvelopeRef? Thu 01 Apr 2010, 1:17 pm

"He has more discipline in his left toe than my whole squad has got."

and that'll be the toe he almost lost. What a motivator Holloway is.....
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
mindyerEnvelopeRef?

Number of posts : 17435
Registration date : 2006-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 17 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next