606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sheffield United v Everton

+6
Yankthattoffee
hairy cataract
Tonteau
callmebubbles
Goodison_Gringo
Rotterdam 1985
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sheffield United v Everton - Page 2 Empty Re: Sheffield United v Everton

Post  hairy cataract Sat 02 Sep 2023, 2:04 pm

Good tackle by duke and ref gives a foul and a yellow
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25878
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Sat 02 Sep 2023, 2:23 pm

Not sure I can handle 6 minutes of Godfrey.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15996
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Sat 02 Sep 2023, 2:34 pm

Fantastic from Pickford at the end there.

On the plus side, we scored, twice, and we have a point. On the minus side, we're probably going down.

We've gone from creating plenty of chances but not being able to score, to having no creativity, but being able to score, in the space of a week. Will we regret selling Iwobi? Probably.

The defence was very poor. It's back to the walls type stuff, although the two goals also came from the Panama Canal sized gap between defence and midfield.

Early term report; Wank, D-.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4518
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Sat 02 Sep 2023, 2:35 pm

Pickford showing why he’s the best in the country. Disappointed really, but at least it’s a couple of goals and a point.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Sat 02 Sep 2023, 2:53 pm

Beto seems great. Imagine Dom and him in a classic Dyche 442.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Sat 02 Sep 2023, 3:22 pm

I love Beto. We need ten more of him. Other than that, I think Branthwaite could be a top player in time, he was excellent in the second half, if a bit nervy earlier on.

Rest of them are a bit shit to be honest, good to see McNeil back though. Maybe him and Danjuma on the wings cutting in with DCL and Beto up front would scare a few defences? Onana and Gana in the middle of the park, Tarks and Branthwaite at the back with Coleman on the right and Leighton Baines out of retirement on the left.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  SEFTON Sat 02 Sep 2023, 3:31 pm

Another game we throw away points, we should brought in a centre back in the window but ,we got to go with what we got. Sean Dyche was a defender love to know what he teaches in training? We got to stop tiki taki football and going backwards,both Beto and Danjuma will get better and cause many defences problems so are attacking options are improving ,Patterson needs to build some confidence think with more game time he’ll come good.what we need is injured players to return so Garner can play in the middle, we are lacking a bit creativity out on the wings looking forward to seeing Jack Harrison think he will be the missing jigsaw piece .
SEFTON
SEFTON

Number of posts : 10613
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sat 02 Sep 2023, 3:39 pm

We've finally improved our goalscoring, and in turn, weakened our defense.
So, instead of going for 1-0 wins, it's gonna have to be 4-3 every week.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sat 02 Sep 2023, 3:52 pm

Just read this.....

So wtf happened?

"Everton have agreed a last-gasp deal worth £38.5m to sign Wilfried Gnonto from Leeds United, according to Sports Mediaset.
Writing on their official website (1 September), the Italian news outlet report that a deal is “all done” between the two clubs with the 19-year-old moving to Goodison Park."
The Toffees re-opened talks on deadline day to get a deal done, and it now seems they have got their man after his agents worked to close the deal in London.
“Wilfried Gnonto will say goodbye to Leeds, who finished in the English Championship, on the last day of the transfer window,” they wrote.
“All done with Everton for around 45 million euros (£38.5m).”
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 02 Sep 2023, 4:06 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:Just read this.....

So wtf happened?

"Everton have agreed a last-gasp deal worth £38.5m to sign Wilfried Gnonto from Leeds United, according to Sports Mediaset.
Writing on their official website (1 September), the Italian news outlet report that a deal is “all done” between the two clubs with the 19-year-old moving to Goodison Park."
The Toffees re-opened talks on deadline day to get a deal done, and it now seems they have got their man after his agents worked to close the deal in London.
“Wilfried Gnonto will say goodbye to Leeds, who finished in the English Championship, on the last day of the transfer window,” they wrote.

I think that source is full of bollocks mate. I read the same yesterday, and then it was shot down in flames elsewhere within an hour or so.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14845
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 02 Sep 2023, 4:14 pm

Some positives to take from that game:

1. We got a point.
2. We stopped a relegation rival getting all three points at home.
3. Branthwaite. He'll do.
4. Beto. Went a little quiet as the second half wore on, but was boss first half. He makes defenders shit themselves.
5. Another game where we created shit loads of chances. xG was 3.01. We will wallop a team, Brighton-style, one of these days.
6. Pickford. So consistently excellent that it's easy to overlook him.
7. McNeil is back.

The big negative is not so much the defending as the protection the defence gets from midfield, IMO. I love Onana as a footballer but I think we have a problem using him in a Dyche formation. For both of their goals there wasn't enough pressure on the fella who delivered the ball in.

Also we gave the ball away in midfield too often, especially first half.

The game was there to be won, but also to be lost. We controlled the game for the first 20 and then for about 20 mins late on. But we never quite extinguished their threat. That said, Sheff Utd are terrible, a Championship team in the Prem, I don't think they have any chance of staying up.

We got something out of it at least, to head into the international break with.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sat 02 Sep 2023, 5:06 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

So wtf happened?

I think that source is full of bollocks mate. I read the same yesterday, and then it was shot down in flames elsewhere within an hour or so.
Maybe a set up for January?
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sat 02 Sep 2023, 6:52 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:Some positives to take from that game:

1. We got a point.
4. Beto. Went a little quiet as the second half wore on, but was boss first half. He makes defenders shit themselves.
5. Another game where we created shit loads of chances. xG was 3.01. We will wallop a team, Brighton-style, one of these days.
7. McNeil is back.

The big negative is not so much the defending as the protection the defence gets from midfield, IMO. I love Onana as a footballer but I think we have a problem using him in a Dyche formation. For both of their goals there wasn't enough pressure on the fella who delivered the ball in.

The game was there to be won, but also to be lost. We controlled the game for the first 20 and then for about 20 mins late on. But we never quite extinguished their threat. That said, Sheff Utd are terrible, a Championship team in the Prem, I don't think they have any chance of staying up.

I think this was a 'must not lose' game. Going into the Arsenal game (which we'll probably lose) after four defeats and no points on the board would have been so damaging. As it is, we aren't bottom, we look like we might score the odd goal here and there, and we should have some injured players back after the international break.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22554
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sat 02 Sep 2023, 7:10 pm

Armchair wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:Some positives to take from that game:

1. We got a point.
7. McNeil is back.

I think this was a 'must not lose' game. Going into the Arsenal game (which we'll probably lose) after four defeats and no points on the board would have been so damaging. As it is, we aren't bottom, we look like we might score the odd goal here and there, and we should have some injured players back after the international break.
Gray going to stay? What mental state would he be in?
Doesn't help with defensive duties though.
Need bite in midfield.
I would like to have seen us sign an ugly Son of a Beach with a missing tooth or two, tattoos everywhere, and a weird hair cut. Probably looking like he needs a good bath. Studs filed down on his black boots. Mean and fire breathing.
Any ideas?
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  SEFTON Sat 02 Sep 2023, 7:48 pm

So wtf happened?

Sadly Yank ,this was coming out of Italy apparently Everton never really showed much interest in any of the deals stated,
Beto,they looked at over twelve months deal to be paid 2024 tax year.seems all money maid from sales of players gone into the stadium?
SEFTON
SEFTON

Number of posts : 10613
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sun 03 Sep 2023, 11:18 am

SEFTON wrote:

So wtf happened?

Sadly Yank ,this was coming out of Italy apparently Everton never really showed much interest in any of the deals stated,
Beto,they looked at over twelve months deal to be paid 2024 tax year.seems all money maid from sales of players gone into the stadium?
So maybe a smoke screen to show that we were still really trying?
The final day fire sale seemed self destructive, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I still can't figure out Gray? Dyche has shown little interest in playing him. He was never a regular at Leicester and for us to get him so cheaply a couple of years back seemed really strange, like they we trying to dump him.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Judge Sun 03 Sep 2023, 7:11 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:
SEFTON wrote:

So wtf happened?

The final day fire sale seemed self destructive, but I guess we'll have to wait and see.
I still can't figure out Gray? Dyche has shown little interest in playing him. He was never a regular at Leicester and for us to get him so cheaply a couple of years back seemed really strange, like they we trying to dump him.

We have some news on BBC tonight about Gray, Social media and Dyche

The man who is prepared to wear a Shoite top IF, AND ONLY IF, you are prepared to cough the £25,000. Its true it was broadcast on National Radio!!
Da Judge
Da Judge

Number of posts : 9790

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sun 03 Sep 2023, 7:37 pm

Da Judge wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
SEFTON wrote:

So wtf happened?

We have some news on BBC tonight about Gray, Social media and Dyche

Well, he's issued his Instagram post about not being respected. Deja vu for him, it would appear. This is from two years ago...

Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sun 03 Sep 2023, 8:26 pm

Pissed off that he's now down the pecking order behind McNeil, Arnie and probably Harrison?
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22554
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Crosby S74 Mon 04 Sep 2023, 8:35 am

Armchair wrote:Pissed off that he's now down the pecking order behind McNeil, Arnie and probably Harrison?

No great loss, maybe has one moment of class in 10 games?

Read the problem stems from not tracking back, considering how bad the full backs are nowadays I don't see this as a problem.

All things being well, he shouldn't be anywhere near Everton anyway.

For me, for all the "We have played well, but lost" is very concerning.

Apart from Villa, 1 point from Fulham and Wolves at home and Sheffield United away is not good enough.

Number of posts : 28054
Registration date : 2005-10-13

http://www.myspace.com/mtcefc

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Mon 04 Sep 2023, 12:50 pm

Michael Crosby S74 wrote:
Armchair wrote:Pissed off that he's now down the pecking order behind McNeil, Arnie and probably Harrison?

Read the problem stems from not tracking back, considering how bad the full backs are nowadays I don't see this as a problem.

Apart from Villa, 1 point from Fulham and Wolves at home and Sheffield United away is not good enough.

What's slightly concerning me is that but for that super-human pickford intervention we'd have lost 3-2 (in the 10th minute of 6 added on as well). Pickford's been rightly lauded for that, but we shouldn't be allowing McBurnie a free header at that stage in the game.

My hope is that as the side gets a bit more settled, the midfield and the defence can get a better handle on things, because as it is we're giving teams a really worring number of chances to score easy goals.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Mon 04 Sep 2023, 1:44 pm

Tonteau wrote:

What's slightly concerning me is that but for that super-human pickford intervention we'd have lost 3-2 (in the 10th minute of 6 added on as well). Pickford's been rightly lauded for that, but we shouldn't be allowing McBurnie a free header at that stage in the game.

My hope is that as the side gets a bit more settled, the midfield and the defence can get a better handle on things, because as it is we're giving teams a really worring number of chances to score easy goals.

Yes, to both posts.  As you say, but for a miracle save, Dyche would have been trotting out the same old excuses about how the stats tell a different story to the result, and we didn't do much wrong, and then he'd have gone on about "the noise" around Gray, or someone else, because that's what he does in every interview.  And of course, he would have gone on to talk about how the Everton fans have unrealistic expectations, but he expects that and he can deal with it and blah blah blah.

We are lucky to be on one point, rather than nil points after four games.  I don't think we have any better options than Dyche, but his voice is really starting to grate, and not just because of that mad croaky thing, but because of the predictable shite he comes out with.  Still, at least he tells us something - the rest of the club can't even tell us what shirt number Harrison will have when he's finally fit in about April.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Mon 04 Sep 2023, 3:28 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Tonteau wrote:

Yes, to both posts.  As you say, but for a miracle save, Dyche would have been trotting out the same old excuses about how the stats tell a different story to the result, and we didn't do much wrong, and then he'd have gone on about "the noise" around Gray, or someone else, because that's what he does in every interview.  And of course, he would have gone on to talk about how the Everton fans have unrealistic expectations, but he expects that and he can deal with it and blah blah blah.

We are lucky to be on one point, rather than nil points after four games.  I don't think we have any better options than Dyche, but his voice is really starting to grate, and not just because of that mad croaky thing, but because of the predictable shite he comes out with.  Still, at least he tells us something - the rest of the club can't even tell us what shirt number Harrison will have when he's finally fit in about April.

How about that Tarko substitution nonsense though, eh? So Tarko gets smacked in the head by the ball. He's clearly not feigning injury, in fact it's the ref who urgently gestures for the physio to come on. Tarko then says "no fine, I'm OK" only for the ref to then insist that he has to go off and not be allowed back on to help defend the corner.

This is one of the many things that fuck me off about football rules - there is zero scope for referee discretion here. That rule (the one where you have to go off if you're treated on the field of play) was brought in to prevent timewasting. Tarko obviously wasn't timewasting. The ref did the right thing, thinking it could be a head injury/concussion. But then the ref has no option but to leave us short defending a corner.

It was probably the correct thing to sub Tarko off at that point, he may well have been seeing stars anyway. It's likely to have been a contributing factor to McBurnie getting that free header off though - the fact that Tarko was off the pitch.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Crosby S74 Mon 04 Sep 2023, 3:57 pm

I was in work so didn't watch it but it was pointed out the referee played more extra time "in hope" Sheff U scored a winner and it nearly came off.

I'm far from a tin hat conspiracy theorist, but that, as well as the "offside" in the Man U game and certain things do seem a bit suss at least.

Like, would that Arsenal penalty in the first half be overturned if it was Salah in front of the kop?

I can't explain what I even mean properly.

Number of posts : 28054
Registration date : 2005-10-13

http://www.myspace.com/mtcefc

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Mon 04 Sep 2023, 8:03 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Tonteau wrote:

How about that Tarko substitution nonsense though, eh? So Tarko gets smacked in the head by the ball. He's clearly not feigning injury, in fact it's the ref who urgently gestures for the physio to come on. Tarko then says "no fine, I'm OK" only for the ref to then insist that he has to go off and not be allowed back on to help defend the corner.

This is one of the many things that fuck me off about football rules - there is zero scope for referee discretion here. That rule (the one where you have to go off if you're treated on the field of play) was brought in to prevent timewasting. Tarko obviously wasn't timewasting. The ref did the right thing, thinking it could be a head injury/concussion. But then the ref has no option but to leave us short defending a corner.

It was probably the correct thing to sub Tarko off at that point, he may well have been seeing stars anyway. It's likely to have been a contributing factor to McBurnie getting that free header off though - the fact that Tarko was off the pitch.
I guess the way to go would be to sub off the head injury and immediately allow the replacement player onto the pitch. It happens rarely and certainly less frequently that VAR delays. Maybe head and blood subs will come eventually?

On the extra time, the Tarks injury was during the final 6 minutes so the ref added that time on?
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2