606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everton - Fulham

+7
hairy cataract
Rotterdam 1985
Armchair
callmebubbles
Lumper
Made 4 Gwladys
Knight of Thorgothshire
11 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Everton - Fulham - Page 5 Empty Re: Everton - Fulham

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Tue 18 Apr 2023, 3:52 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
fourdoors wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
I'd love to know what Dyche is really thinking, because he's very diplomatic.  But he must be going home and kicking the cat, and screaming "you fucking cunts!" at effigies of our board.  He's been totally hung out to dry.

He knew what he was getting himself into. He managed Burnley in games against Everton for enough years to have at least a passing familiarity with our squad's strengths and weaknesses. He knew he was joining at the end of the transfer window and wouldn't have time to strengthen the squad, even if there had been any money available. He knew Richarlison had gone and that Gordon was going and that Moise Kean probably wasn't coming back.

He knew all that, and probably more, and yet he still joined us. And yes, he hadn't been snapped up by any other club in the preceding 8 months since Burnley sacked him, so he clearly wasn't the hottest manager in the country; and yes, he's probably earning a bit more with Everton than he would if he found work doing whatever it is that failed managers do when they can't find another job in football - join OnlyFans? Everton - Fulham - Page 5 Confused

But he did join us. I'd like to think he was aware of the challenge awaiting him. True, he didn't know that DCL would be injured, but apart from that, has he had any negative surprises?

Wait till the summer transfer window closes. Then you're probably right, he may well be going home and kicking the cat. And next time, he'll know to carry the big picture of Bill a bit further before dumping it into a canal.

Aye, maybe, but I'm pretty sure he would have been told there was at least a new striker incoming.  I'd forgotten about Gordon when I was thinking about how much worse this season's squad was.  He contributed a lot at the end of last season.  I don't believe Dyche came into it thinking he'd be losing Gordon and getting zero incoming, even in his worst nightmares.  Sure, he might have just seen pound signs, but he seems a fairly straight-ahead bloke, and I think he inherited a squad that was worse than he expected.

Funny how so little appears to have changed in this regard since that season (around 1999-ish) when Walter Smith came close to resigning for similar reasons - a disingenuous board selling Dunc after they made promises they could not keep. 25 years, half my life, to go round in a circle. Fuck me.

Managers tend not to resign on points of principle these days (e.g. Kendall in '93) - too much payoff money in it for them. But imagine if Dyche were to do this in the summer, whether or not we stay up. That would be a nice dollop of bird shit to crown our cow pat.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14879
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  fourdoors Tue 18 Apr 2023, 4:50 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
fourdoors wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
I'd love to know what Dyche is really thinking, because he's very diplomatic.  But he must be going home and kicking the cat, and screaming "you fucking cunts!" at effigies of our board.  He's been totally hung out to dry.

He knew what he was getting himself into. He managed Burnley in games against Everton for enough years to have at least a passing familiarity with our squad's strengths and weaknesses. He knew he was joining at the end of the transfer window and wouldn't have time to strengthen the squad, even if there had been any money available. He knew Richarlison had gone and that Gordon was going and that Moise Kean probably wasn't coming back.

He knew all that, and probably more, and yet he still joined us. And yes, he hadn't been snapped up by any other club in the preceding 8 months since Burnley sacked him, so he clearly wasn't the hottest manager in the country; and yes, he's probably earning a bit more with Everton than he would if he found work doing whatever it is that failed managers do when they can't find another job in football - join OnlyFans? Everton - Fulham - Page 5 Confused

But he did join us. I'd like to think he was aware of the challenge awaiting him. True, he didn't know that DCL would be injured, but apart from that, has he had any negative surprises?

Wait till the summer transfer window closes. Then you're probably right, he may well be going home and kicking the cat. And next time, he'll know to carry the big picture of Bill a bit further before dumping it into a canal.

Aye, maybe, but I'm pretty sure he would have been told there was at least a new striker incoming.  I'd forgotten about Gordon when I was thinking about how much worse this season's squad was.  He contributed a lot at the end of last season.  I don't believe Dyche came into it thinking he'd be losing Gordon and getting zero incoming, even in his worst nightmares.  Sure, he might have just seen pound signs, but he seems a fairly straight-ahead bloke, and I think he inherited a squad that was worse than he expected.

You might be right. I don't remember the order of events. Was Gordon already sold by the time Dyche signed? I thought he was, but I'm not sure.
Gordon and Onana missed a few days of training: Gordon because he was negotiating with Newcastle, and Onana because he was injured (but people were worrying that he was leaving, too). I think we were managerless at the time, which would mean Dyche knew about Gordon before he took over the reins. But it's all a bit cloudy, partly because of my memory and laziness in checking the facts; but also because we don't know exactly when Dyche became manager: on the Saturday when it was kind of understood that he would? Or on the Monday when the club finally made the official announcement? Or did Dyche/Mosh already know on on the Friday before the weekend, and that information only leaked out on Saturday?
Tbh, it doesn't matter Smile

Which do you think is worse:
A) to know you're losing a player for £40 million but that you won't get to spend any of that money until the summer AND only if you keep your team up AND you'll only get £20 million of the £40m to spend?
B) to know you're losing a player for £40 million and that somebody else is bringing in a new player for £20 million without any input from you?

Given our track record of new signings, 'A' is probably better than 'B'

fourdoors

Number of posts : 845
Registration date : 2005-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Tue 18 Apr 2023, 5:49 pm

fourdoors wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
fourdoors wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

You might be right. I don't remember the order of events. Was Gordon already sold by the time Dyche signed? I thought he was, but I'm not sure.
Gordon and Onana missed a few days of training: Gordon because he was negotiating with Newcastle, and Onana because he was injured (but people were worrying that he was leaving, too). I think we were managerless at the time, which would mean Dyche knew about Gordon before he took over the reins. But it's all a bit cloudy, partly because of my memory and laziness in checking the facts; but also because we don't know exactly when Dyche became manager: on the Saturday when it was kind of understood that he would? Or on the Monday when the club finally made the official announcement? Or did Dyche/Mosh already know on on the Friday before the weekend, and that information only leaked out on Saturday?

A) to know you're losing a player for £40 million but that you won't get to spend any of that money until the summer AND only if you keep your team up AND you'll only get £20 million of the £40m to spend?
B) to know you're losing a player for £40 million and that somebody else is bringing in a new player for £20 million without any input from you?

Sorry, I didn't mean losing Gordon was a surprise, but that not buying anyone with the proceeds was a surprise. I think Gordon was already gone by the time we officially appointed Dyche.

I read somewhere today that we did actually make a £45m bid for Gallagher from Chelsea at the end of the window. Sounds unlikely to me, when we needed forwards not midfielders. Anyway, I doubt if Dyche would have had much imput to any of the bids, with the exception perhaps of going "fuck off, he's fucking shite!" and then realising that we'd actually already signed Maupay in the summer.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25890
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Wed 19 Apr 2023, 5:45 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
fourdoors wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
fourdoors wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

Sorry, I didn't mean losing Gordon was a surprise, but that not buying anyone with the proceeds was a surprise. I think Gordon was already gone by the time we officially appointed Dyche.  

I read somewhere today that we did actually make a £45m bid for Gallagher from Chelsea at the end of the window.  Sounds unlikely to me, when we needed forwards not midfielders.  Anyway, I doubt if Dyche would have had much imput to any of the bids, with the exception perhaps of going "fuck off, he's fucking shite!" and then realising that we'd actually already signed Maupay in the summer.

I'd be surprised if we really did bid that for Gallagher. I presumed it was just a rumour put out by the board to appease the fans somewhat. A bit like the time Peter Johnson threw a bid in for Alan Shearer before he went to Newcastle, and just to be on the safe side, bid £10m less than them.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4518
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  fourdoors Thu 20 Apr 2023, 9:23 am

hairy cataract wrote:

Aaah. Now I get it. Everton - Fulham - Page 5 F_ale

fourdoors

Number of posts : 845
Registration date : 2005-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5