606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everton v Southampton

+6
Armchair
Da Judge
Knight of Thorgothshire
Made 4 Gwladys
hairy cataract
Rotterdam 1985
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Everton v Southampton Empty Everton v Southampton

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Fri 13 Jan 2023, 12:29 pm

Here we are then, approaching the latest circle of Dante's Everton Inferno.

History offers us a crumb of comfort and some encouragement here - our home record against this lot is very good. The last time they beat us in the league at Goodison was in November 1997 - since then we've won 12 and drawn 5.

Like, we stayed up on goal difference in that 1997/98 season, which is uncomfortably close to this season's bone. And historical records don't make Dwight McNeil run faster or make Maupay any less anonymous on the pitch.

To offer a mathematical perspective - and stop me if I'm getting too xG complicated here - I think the winner of this game will be the team that scores more goals (and ergo, concedes fewer goals) than the other team.

This is the mother of all "must-win" games. So with all that said, I predict an underpants-destroying 2-1 win. DCL with both our goals, Ted McDougall for them.

COYB. Pretty sure this song has nothing to do with Everton but the lyrics become more prescient with every passing, miserable season.

Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14836
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Everton v Southampton Empty Re: Everton v Southampton

Post  hairy cataract Fri 13 Jan 2023, 12:54 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:Here we are then, approaching the latest circle of Dante's Everton Inferno.

History offers us a crumb of comfort and some encouragement here - our home record against this lot is very good. The last time they beat us in the league at Goodison was in November 1997 - since then we've won 12 and drawn 5.

Like, we stayed up on goal difference in that 1997/98 season, which is uncomfortably close to this season's bone. And historical records don't make Dwight McNeil run faster or make Maupay any less anonymous on the pitch.

To offer a mathematical perspective - and stop me if I'm getting too xG complicated here - I think the winner of this game will be the team that scores more goals (and ergo, concedes fewer goals) than the other team.

This is the mother of all "must-win" games. So with all that said, I predict an underpants-destroying 2-1 win. DCL with both our goals, Ted McDougall for them.

COYB. Pretty sure this song has nothing to do with Everton but the lyrics become more prescient with every passing, miserable season.

You're just goading me into giving you all my Pete Wylie stories aren't you?
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25874
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Fri 13 Jan 2023, 1:17 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:Here we are then, approaching the latest circle of Dante's Everton Inferno.

Very Happy  Yeah fire away!

I really like that song actually. Wasn't really a fan of it when it came out, it was a bit too overwrought and overdramatic for my tastes at that time. I now see it as a bit of a timeless, underrated classic.

Can you confirm that it's not about Everton? No idea if Wylie was into football, but I do know we were pretty bad when it came out (may well have been the season Liverpool dicked us 5-0 at Goodison.) So because of the title, I think about Everton (and more often than not, how shit we are) every time I hear it.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Fri 13 Jan 2023, 1:19 pm

the following concern me greatly.

1. we're shit
2. We've signed Foo Khal
3. Rotts started the match thread against Manure where we were royally arse-fucked... I expect serious consequences to be levied by Da Judge for breaking the long standing rule of not starting a thread after you've been responsible for the previous humiliation.

soo... it's all Rotts fault

Last edited by Made 4 Gwladys on Fri 13 Jan 2023, 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Number of posts : 41036

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Fri 13 Jan 2023, 5:38 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

I really like that song actually. Wasn't really a fan of it when it came out, it was a bit too overwrought and overdramatic for my tastes at that time. I now see it as a bit of a timeless, underrated classic.

Can you confirm that it's not about Everton? No idea if Wylie was into football, but I do know we were pretty bad when it came out (may well have been the season Liverpool dicked us 5-0 at Goodison.) So because of the title, I think about Everton (and more often than not, how shit we are) every time I hear it.

Sorry mate, he's a massive Red Shite. They play his song "Heart As Big As Liverpool" at Analfield before every match, and he even played at Istanbul for the kopite fuckbags. A mate of mine saw him the other week doing an acoustic show and Wylie said he didn't understand why Everton didn't play Story of the Blues at the match. To be fair, although he's a RS, he's so into the whole Scouse Nation thing that he would happily come to Goodison and play it I reckon. Of course, our 1995 squad did a version of "Altogether Now" by the Farm, and Wylie sang backing vocals on the original, so he's already got a Toffees connection.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Fri 13 Jan 2023, 6:03 pm

I'm so terrified by this game I'm intentionally going to miss it by going to a car show.

Cue we play better than ever and trash them?
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74428

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Judge Fri 13 Jan 2023, 11:47 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

One of my favourite tracks ever. Couple of months ago - I was with some Uni mates having a chat (whilst walking Offa's Dyke) and we each had to nominate the song that epitomised the 80s. This was my choice and after discussion it was selected as the most evocative of the ones suggested. Even though he is RS... like Rotts this does make me think its about us..

The man who is prepared to wear a Shoite top IF, AND ONLY IF, you are prepared to cough the £25,000. Its true it was broadcast on National Radio!!
Da Judge
Da Judge

Number of posts : 9789
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 14 Jan 2023, 12:24 am

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

Sorry mate, he's a massive Red Shite.  They play his song "Heart As Big As Liverpool" at Analfield before every match, and he even played at Istanbul for the kopite fuckbags. A mate of mine saw him the other week doing an acoustic show and Wylie said he didn't understand why Everton didn't play Story of the Blues at the match.  To be fair, although he's a RS, he's so into the whole Scouse Nation thing that he would happily come to Goodison and play it I reckon.   Of course, our 1995 squad did a version of  "Altogether Now" by the Farm, and Wylie sang backing vocals on the original, so he's already got a Toffees connection.

Ah, is he one of those "Scouse, not English" lads? Lol.

The Farm, of course, are also massive Red Shites. And I hated them, and hated that song, and hated the fact that we used it as our cup song. Groovy Train was passable, fun enough when you're pissed and it comes on the jukebox and I was quite into all that indie/dance crossover stuff at the time. But everything else they did was tosh IMO.

I have no idea whether their Redshiteness informs that opinion in any way. I don't think it does! They were just shite.

And the reason why we don't play his song before our games isn't because he's a redshite - it's because, great song though it is, it's fucking maudlin. There's an element of trying to fight back from adversity in the lyrics, which is all well and good, but that's way too close to home.

Marketing wise, it would be a bit like a Heineken slogan that says "great lager, great taste, but by fuck you'll know about it in the morning." Too real and honest. United don't run out to "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now" for a reason. We don't want to get the fans into a state of despair before the game has even started. That's Dwight McNeil's job.

Thinking on, "Dead Souls" by Joy Division would, lyrically speaking, be United's equivalent to our "Story of the Blues." More depressing than Wylie's epic, but then Manchester is more of a shit hole. But too real for them, given their recent history.

"Where figures from the past stand tall
And mocking voices ring the halls"

Like, this is a top 5 JD song for me. But I wouldn't recommend it for parties and weddings...

Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 14 Jan 2023, 1:35 am

Da Judge wrote:

One of my favourite tracks ever. Couple of months ago - I was with some Uni mates having a chat (whilst walking Offa's Dyke) and we each had to nominate the song that epitomised the 80s. This was my choice and after discussion it was selected as the most evocative of the ones suggested. Even though he is RS... like Rotts this does make me think its about us..

Sorry, this is a Southampton v Everton thread but I'll keep this music tangent going a little longer - as you probably know, I'm a bit of a music buff. And I am very proud of Liverpool's music history despite (unlike Hairy) having made precisely zero contribution to it. I've never even paid to get into Eric's.

I also have huge respect for Manchester's music output. And I'm often struck by the differences between the output of the two. Similar cities in many ways, very different histories but similar problems, similar climate and geography etc, and just down the road from each other. I think the difference in style and in atmosphere, of the music that has come out of each city, is markedly and remarkably different.

I'll generalise a bit here but Manchester has largely been a combination of bedsit despair (Joy Division, The Smiths) and in-your-face arrogance, possibly born out of an inferiority complex (Oasis, Stone Roses etc.) With music from Liverpool I think optimism, and melody, is at the heart of so much of it. So even Story of the Blues is a downer of a song trying to be positive. Generalising hugely here, there is something of a hippy-ish vibe to Liverpool music which I rarely, if ever, hear from Manchester.

Dunno why but I just find that contrast fascinating, and I can't explain it. And I say that as a devotee of a large number of Manc bands.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Sat 14 Jan 2023, 10:21 am

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Da Judge wrote:

Sorry, this is a Southampton v Everton thread but I'll keep this music tangent going a little longer - as you probably know, I'm a bit of a music buff. And I am very proud of Liverpool's music history despite (unlike Hairy) having made precisely zero contribution to it. I've never even paid to get into Eric's.

I also have huge respect for Manchester's music output. And I'm often struck by the differences between the output of the two. Similar cities in many ways, very different histories but similar problems, similar climate and geography etc, and just down the road from each other. I think the difference in style and in atmosphere, of the music that has come out of each city, is markedly and remarkably different.

I'll generalise a bit here but Manchester has largely been a combination of bedsit despair (Joy Division, The Smiths) and in-your-face arrogance, possibly born out of an inferiority complex (Oasis, Stone Roses etc.) With music from Liverpool I think optimism, and melody, is at the heart of so much of it. So even Story of the Blues is a downer of a song trying to be positive. Generalising hugely here, there is something of a hippy-ish vibe to Liverpool music which I rarely, if ever, hear from Manchester.

Dunno why but I just find that contrast fascinating, and I can't explain it. And I say that as a devotee of a large number of Manc bands.

Yes I wouldn’t disagree with that. I also think Manchester is not as isolated, independent and inward looking as Liverpool (hence the Scouse Nation vibe), so was more influenced by London than us. And scousers have a superiority complex rather than inferiority complex which comes through in not just the music but all the culture coming out of Liverpool

hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sat 14 Jan 2023, 12:30 pm

Looks like Bill is going to miss the game

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64275576
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22552
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 14 Jan 2023, 12:39 pm

Armchair wrote:Looks like Bill is going to miss the game

that is inexcusably bad... a poor reflection on our support IMO Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 14 Jan 2023, 12:50 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:

100% agree.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sat 14 Jan 2023, 1:37 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:

100% agree.

A minority of knuckleheads No
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 14 Jan 2023, 1:57 pm

https://www.facebook.com/reel/2859663427499947/?s=single_unit

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 14 Jan 2023, 2:02 pm

Iwobi starts !

Everton v Southampton Captu183

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 14 Jan 2023, 2:13 pm

do you have a link today Armchair?.. all my regulars seem to have gone south since Christmas

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sat 14 Jan 2023, 2:17 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:do you have a link today Armchair?.. all my regulars seem to have gone south since Christmas

I haven't looked yet... might try avoiding the match tbh. I sometimes find a link on the NSNO forums around kick off time (they also have similar matchday thread)
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 14 Jan 2023, 2:20 pm

Armchair wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:do you have a link today Armchair?.. all my regulars seem to have gone south since Christmas

I haven't looked yet... might try avoiding the match tbh. I sometimes find a link on the NSNO forums around kick off time (they also have similar matchday thread)
Everton v Southampton F_ale Everton v Southampton F_ale

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 14 Jan 2023, 2:57 pm

https://cdn.sportcast.life/embed77/?event=stack.html&link=1&domain=&force=https%3A%2F%2Fweakstream.org%2Fstreams%2F10385422&ask=1673708400&lgt=3

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 14 Jan 2023, 3:00 pm

Happy with the line-up, happy that he's stuck with three at the back, happy that Iwobi is fit.

Here we go then.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 14 Jan 2023, 3:03 pm

massive... and we're off

COYB cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 14 Jan 2023, 3:04 pm

Godfrey injured alrwady ... fucking hell

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 14 Jan 2023, 3:06 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:Godfrey injured alrwady ... fucking hell
up & looks ok

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 14 Jan 2023, 3:06 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:Godfrey injured alrwady ... fucking hell

I'm already planning ahead for when his replacement Mina hobbles off (Holgate is on the bench.)
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next