606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured

+12
Helenqu
SEFTON
Made 4 Gwladys
Rotterdam 1985
Blue gazza
Yankthattoffee
Da Judge
hairy cataract
Armchair
Super
Hinchcliffe Corner
Michael Crosby S74
16 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 Empty Re: 9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Fri 31 Mar 2023, 6:07 pm

9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 F_laugh 9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 F_laugh 9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 F_laugh 9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 F_laugh 9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 F_laugh 9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 F_laugh
GET RID OF THIS LIABILITY

Dominic Calvert-Lewin will not be available for Everton's Premier League clash with Tottenham Hotspur on Monday night
"He hasn't trained with the group. He's back on the grass again and has been making progress, which is good.
"He did have that tiny niggle on the injury, in a slightly different area, but he's making very good progress.
So we're happy with that at the moment."
"No timescale, I don't do that anyway.," added Dyche.
"Certainly not when we're trying to get him back to full fitness as I call it. Or as close to."

Number of posts : 41029
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 Empty Re: 9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured

Post  Tonteau Fri 18 Aug 2023, 5:18 pm

He's just become a dad, apparently. Congrats Dom!
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15994
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Fri 18 Aug 2023, 6:35 pm

Tonteau wrote:He's just become a dad, apparently. Congrats Dom!

Apparently the baby was born with a torn hamstring 9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 F_laugh
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22547
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Fri 18 Aug 2023, 7:12 pm

Armchair wrote:
Tonteau wrote:He's just become a dad, apparently. Congrats Dom!

Apparently the baby was born with a torn hamstring 9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 F_laugh
9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 Bottom

9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 F_laugh 9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 F_laugh

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Mon 21 Aug 2023, 4:30 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66574752

Fractured cheekbone, you couldn't make it up. Poor bloke just can't catch a break (figuratively)
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15994
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Mon 21 Aug 2023, 4:39 pm

"He must now follow the FA's concussion protocols before returning to action."

Does anyone know what these are? I can't be arsed to google them. I assume he is declared not to have a concussion by a doctor in the next day or two, and returns with a mask for our next game 9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 Confused
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Mon 21 Aug 2023, 5:15 pm

Armchair wrote:"He must now follow the FA's concussion protocols before returning to action."

Does anyone know what these are? I can't be arsed to google them. I assume he is declared not to have a concussion by a doctor in the next day or two, and returns with a mask for our next game 9 - Dominic Calvert-Lewin - always fucking injured - Page 5 Confused

There are special protocols for Everton:

The player cannot return to action until he is tested and proved to be utter shit, at which point he must be played in every game. Should the player be able to hit a cow's arse with a banjo, he should be struck on the knee with a hammer, twice a day until Kenwright agrees to sell him for ten pence, which must not be reinvested in a replacement.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25870

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Mon 21 Aug 2023, 5:40 pm

Armchair wrote:"He must now follow the FA's concussion protocols before returning to action."

Some concussions last longer than others. In the NFL some players have been known to remain in the concussion protocol for many weeks.

So it's a case of checking him, probably daily, until the doctors are satisfied that the impact has cleared. Likely to be a few days, maybe several. It's possible that the concussion will keep him out of the Wolves game but hopefully not. The broken cheekbone is another matter, that may be manageable with a mask, depends how bad/painful the break is.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14823
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Mon 21 Aug 2023, 6:02 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Some concussions last longer than others. In the NFL some players have been known to remain in the concussion protocol for many weeks.

So it's a case of checking him, probably daily, until the doctors are satisfied that the impact has cleared. Likely to be a few days, maybe several. It's possible that the concussion will keep him out of the Wolves game but hopefully not. The broken cheekbone is another matter, that may be manageable with a mask, depends how bad/painful the break is.

Thanks Rotts, makes sense.
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Mon 21 Aug 2023, 6:28 pm

hairy cataract wrote:

There are special protocols for Everton:

The player cannot return to action until he is tested and proved to be utter shit, at which point he must be played in every game.  Should the player be able to hit a cow's arse with a banjo, he should be struck on the knee with a hammer, twice a day until Kenwright agrees to sell him for ten pence, which must not be reinvested in a replacement.
additionally, when a player is no longer deemed to be concussed he must pass the Dyche puke tests, which amount to 3 consecutive large chunders in training because they have run a fucking huge distance in severe heat, ideally over a sand dune. A player will only be deemed ready for re-selection when he has puked his own bollocks up.

NB: concussion tests are not required for supporters due to the sheer volume of them banging their fucking heads on the obstructed view pillar, wall or bar table watching this shite... the NHS could simply not cope.

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Mon 21 Aug 2023, 8:41 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

The broken cheek bone is a bugger. A defenders target. How do you test if a cheek bone is being adequately protected by the mask? I assume the hairy protocol, where you put on the mask, then thump him several times in the face, until he is concussed again. Repeat.
Then there's the ducking stool. Push his face into Dyche's fresh stools until passing out. Shouting "duck!" is allowed.
Repeat.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Tue 22 Aug 2023, 9:00 am

I have always loved DCL.  As a player, I thought he was under-rated in his early career, and he proved his doubters wrong when we last had a semi-decent squad. I love the way he dresses, not giving a fuck what anyone thinks,  and he seems like a thoroughly decent person.  

In fact, he'd be one of my Great Evertonian Heroes if not for one thing - he actually isn't all that good.  I mean, he's good, but he's not a natural finisher, and he's injury prone.  If he had better players around him, he'd be an adequate if not top-notch number nine.  He's certainly no Harry Kane, but then who is?

As it is, we've got the worst squad in my memory, with absolutely nobody capable of providing the kind of service that a not particularly good striker like DCL needs.  The PL has become stronger and stronger, and we look like a Championship side with a (rarely available) Championship level forward in comparison to the vast majority of the other teams in the league.

We're going to need a miracle to stay up this season, unless we have an amazing last week of the transfer window.  Iwobi is out, DCL is out, McNeil is out, Harrison is out, Gray is on his way out - with the exception of Danjuma we have absolutely no creativity whatsoever available to us.  The immediate future looks very bleak, and we could be far adrift at the bottom of the table by the time some of the above are ready to play for us again.  Even then, we'd have a shit squad.

I'm rambling now.  DCL.  Yeah, well he isn't the answer is he?
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25870

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Tue 22 Aug 2023, 11:16 am

hairy cataract wrote:I have always loved DCL.  As a player, I thought he was under-rated in his early career, and he proved his doubters wrong when we last had a semi-decent squad. I love the way he dresses, not giving a fuck what anyone thinks,  and he seems like a thoroughly decent person.  

In fact, he'd be one of my Great Evertonian Heroes if not for one thing - he actually isn't all that good.  I mean, he's good, but he's not a natural finisher, and he's injury prone.  If he had better players around him, he'd be an adequate if not top-notch number nine.  He's certainly no Harry Kane, but then who is?

As it is, we've got the worst squad in my memory, with absolutely nobody capable of providing the kind of service that a not particularly good striker like DCL needs.  The PL has become stronger and stronger, and we look like a Championship side with a (rarely available) Championship level forward in comparison to the vast majority of the other teams in the league.

We're going to need a miracle to stay up this season, unless we have an amazing last week of the transfer window.  Iwobi is out, DCL is out, McNeil is out, Harrison is out, Gray is on his way out - with the exception of Danjuma we have absolutely no creativity whatsoever available to us.  The immediate future looks very bleak, and we could be far adrift at the bottom of the table by the time some of the above are ready to play for us again.  Even then, we'd have a shit squad.

I'm rambling now.  DCL.  Yeah, well he isn't the answer is he?

Although it would appear that I have a slightly higher regard for his ability than yourself, I can see exactly where you're going with this. There is a danger, if it hasn't happened already, that DCL acquires some sort of mythical status among the fanbase; our saviour in waiting, just as soon as he gets a break (no pun intended) injury-wise. I can certainly imagine in Bill's head and Farhad's head that DCL is some kind of Jesus figure. We'll be fine lads, just wait for the Second Coming. Of course, it's their job to not leave us reliant on a single, broken centre forward, but then faith is a powerful emotion.

The danger here, of course, is that this sort of mythologisation will be fuelled, like all myths, by exaggeration. So in our heads he may have become some sort of Joe Jordan/Van Basten combo in his absence. Well he ain't that. He's not just a PL-calibre striker, he was the clear England backup to Kane when he was last fully-fit (ahead of Toney, Watkins and Wilson in the pecking order, and we'd sell our grannies for any one of those three right now) but he's not a 20-25 goals a season man and we ought not kid ourselves that he is, as the legend grows around him with each successive injury-driven absence.

And anyway, even if he were to get an injury-free run going, and was able to bang in a few goals, he's still lipstick on a pig when we consider the rest of the squad. I maintain that proper centre-forward play will improve us considerably. That doesn't mean a full season of DCL will see us into the top 8 or even the top 15. We're still shit overall and we'd still struggle. What is 100% clear is that our survival last season without meaningful centre forward play was utterly freakish, we won't be able to do that again, even if the PL appears to be a bit weaker this season than last.

I'm going to have to refer to Burnley again. Little Burnley. At their peak under Dyche they had Jay Rodriguez, who was also a crock of a striker for a year or two. Didn't matter though because they also had Wood, Barnes and Vydra. They didn't have to rush Rodriguez back too soon, and he didn't have the pressure of carrying an entire fanbase's hopes and fears on his back. How Burnley were able to furnish Dyche with four serviceable-to-good strikers while we are still putting all of our hopes on DCL's fitness (the football equivalent of sticking a bet on with Ladbrokes hoping to win enough money to pay the rent this month) is something that can only ever be answered by the custodians of the club.

Anyway, I said three things during the off-season which I'm going to stick to:

1. The Prem will be weaker this season than it was last, which should help our chances of staying up, despite ourselves.
2. I'm going to get to a few games this season, to say my goodbyes to the Old Lady, despite a voice in my head screaming "EH? WHAT THE F...? ARE YOU MENTAL?"
3. I am not going to let this latest fight to the death get to me like the last two seasons have. I think two successive relegation struggles was enough to get me to a "fuck this shit" state of mind. I'm already resigned to relegation and anything better than that is a bonus. It's the hope that kills, so I've replaced hope with fate. What will be will be. Whatever we get, we'll assuredly deserve.

One of my little pearls of wisdom I've often shared with my kids (not that the fuckers ever listen to me anyway) is to not fret excessively about things you can't control. Short of avoiding starting any more match threads, there's absolutely nothing I can do to affect any of this. So I'm just going to sort of stoner my way through the entire season.

Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14823
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5