606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

18: Gareth Barry - loan or long term City freebie?

+24
SEFTON
hairy cataract
The President
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
tadpole
Super
Cahill the Great
Statman
Armchair
Tonteau
RhinoJagz
SouthernSmugToffee
Blue gazza
Helenqu
Merseyblue
Mr_Ben
Sack the Juggler
Gravy & Chips
Hinchcliffe Corner
Dixie Land
anticipate_the_pass
Da Judge
Goodison_Gringo
Luka Perfect
28 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

18: Gareth Barry - loan or long term City freebie? - Page 3 Empty Re: 18: Gareth Barry - loan or long term City freebie?

Post  SEFTON Tue 20 May 2014, 11:52 am

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:Arsenal would be able to offer higher wages and CL footie.
Spurs would offer more money.

It all comes down to if he wants to play for us or not. Simple as.

Agreed , plus how much can we afford on his wages.
SEFTON
SEFTON

Number of posts : 10608
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

18: Gareth Barry - loan or long term City freebie? - Page 3 Empty Re: 18: Gareth Barry - loan or long term City freebie?

Post  Blue gazza Tue 20 May 2014, 1:19 pm

anticipate_the_pass wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:Arsenal would be able to offer higher wages and CL footie.

Any relevant info among this tidbit?

Barry married his childhood sweetheart Louise in the summer of 2007. They have two children: a son, Oscar, and a daughter, Freya.
Barry is best friends with Michael Standing, a player that signed for Aston Villa on the same day as him from Brighton & Hove Albion in 1997. The pair have known each other since they were both ten years old. In 2009, Barry appointed Standing as his new agent after terminating his partnership with previous agent Alex Black

More irrelevant tidbits,
He was in a friend of mine's bar on Saturday watching the FA Cup final, he was with Dickie Wright  18: Gareth Barry - loan or long term City freebie? - Page 3 Fotty 

and dickie got the ale in, then dropped them  Very Happy 
Blue gazza
Blue gazza

Number of posts : 8009
Registration date : 2005-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Statman Tue 20 May 2014, 1:47 pm

Uwist61 wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:

Barry married his childhood sweetheart Louise in the summer of 2007. They have two children: a son, Oscar, and a daughter, Freya.
Barry is best friends with Michael Standing, a player that signed for Aston Villa on the same day as him from Brighton & Hove Albion in 1997. The pair have known each other since they were both ten years old. In 2009, Barry appointed Standing as his new agent after terminating his partnership with previous agent Alex Black

To be fair to Barry he wnet through an exhaustive selection process and Michael was the last man .............

I'll get my coat...

To be fair that deserves a  18: Gareth Barry - loan or long term City freebie? - Page 3 Food-smi 
Statman
Statman

Number of posts : 7093
Registration date : 2005-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Tue 20 May 2014, 3:49 pm

Statman wrote:
Uwist61 wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:

To be fair to Barry he wnet through an exhaustive selection process and Michael was the last man .............

I'll get my coat...

To be fair that deserves a   18: Gareth Barry - loan or long term City freebie? - Page 3 Food-smi 
 cheers 18: Gareth Barry - loan or long term City freebie? - Page 3 F_laugh 
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Number of posts : 25877
Registration date : 2005-10-14

http://something-wild.org/gallery/Hotties3/aaa

Back to top Go down

Post  Dixie Land Wed 04 Jun 2014, 7:14 am

http://www.bluekipper.com/players/80-something_fishy/7412-everton_splash_the_cash_for_gareth_barry.html

Everton are ready to splash the cash to get Gareth Barry.

According to media reports Everton will off Barry a three year deal on £60,000 a week as well as a £2m fee to Man City as part of last season's loan deal.

It was thought that Arsenal, Leicester and West Ham would offer a bigger financial pot for Barry, but if it's right Everton have beat them all.

There is no doubting the 33 year olds holding midfield play helped Everton secure European football.

£2 million for a 33 year old is steep but he has been such a big part of the team that the fee will seem like a drop in the ocean if he can help us get Champions League.
Dixie Land
Dixie Land

Number of posts : 20992
Registration date : 2006-01-07

http://www.myspace.com/dixieland1978

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Wed 04 Jun 2014, 7:33 am

I wouldn't have a problem with £2m. He should have at least one good season left in him.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22542
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinchcliffe Corner Wed 04 Jun 2014, 8:04 am

The sort of role he plays means he can go on a bit longer than other players IMO.  He doesn't need to be consistently pacy, just needs to read the game and be in the right place at the right time.  He's got a good enough footballing brain to do that for a couple more seasons.
Hinchcliffe Corner
Hinchcliffe Corner

Number of posts : 2425
Registration date : 2006-01-27

http://www.phil-cooper.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Wed 04 Jun 2014, 8:11 am

Armchair wrote:I wouldn't have a problem with £2m. He should have at least one good season left in him.
so why are we offering him a three year deal?
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr_Ben Wed 04 Jun 2014, 8:14 am

Sack the Juggler wrote:
Armchair wrote:I wouldn't have a problem with £2m. He should have at least one good season left in him.

That's my concern. Can't see him lasting 3 season at his current level. Hope I am wrong though.
Mr_Ben
Mr_Ben

Number of posts : 18404
Registration date : 2005-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernSmugToffee Wed 04 Jun 2014, 9:11 am

Mr_Ben wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:

That's my concern. Can't see him lasting 3 season at his current level. Hope I am wrong though.

The three year deal is a carrot to secure the signing. He is currently 33, so will be 36 when the new contract expires. Lamps is 36 and playing in the World Cup, so what is the big deal over his age?
SouthernSmugToffee
SouthernSmugToffee

Number of posts : 3935
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:09 am

SouthernSmugToffee wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:

The three year deal is a carrot to secure the signing.  He is currently 33, so will be 36 when the new contract expires.  Lamps is 36 and playing in the World Cup, so what is the big deal over his age?
and giggs retired at 40, but not everyone is giggs or lampard, its a risk, reminds me of the Kevin Campbell deal where he was a fantastic player for us but his last two season he didn't play for us - as I said its a risk
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernSmugToffee Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:34 am

Sack the Juggler wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:

The three year deal is a carrot to secure the signing.  He is currently 33, so will be 36 when the new contract expires.  Lamps is 36 and playing in the World Cup, so what is the big deal over his age?
and giggs retired at 40, but not everyone is giggs or lampard, its a risk, reminds me of the Kevin Campbell deal where he was a fantastic player for us but his last two season he didn't play for us - as I said its a risk

If he can help us to win the title next season or a trophy, then IMO 2 years on the bench is a price worth paying. 18: Gareth Barry - loan or long term City freebie? - Page 3 Action-s
SouthernSmugToffee
SouthernSmugToffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Wed 04 Jun 2014, 10:58 am

Sack the Juggler wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:

If he can help us to win the title next season or a trophy, then IMO 2 years on the bench is a price worth paying.  18: Gareth Barry - loan or long term City freebie? - Page 3 Action-s
so it would be £3m a year plus £2m fee, £11m for one season and no sell on fee, I thought we'd moved on from being a retirement home for old players  Sad 
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoJagz Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:46 am

I think we need to look at the Barry deal in other ways rather then something that appears to be a lot of money for an aging player. Not only has his own performances been excellent, you have to look at the value he brings to the side and to the development of two other players, namely McCarthy & Barkley. McCarthy looked slightly meek when he signed,even more so when he plays for Ireland because the crowd expected him to be the dominate force in the team. But with Barry by his side, he has grown into the team and add value to such an extent that when McCarthy dropped to the bench against Palace, we looked hopelessly exposed at the back. So not only has Barry's experience help McCarthy justify his hefty price tag, he is probably worth another £5m-6m on top of the that. Similar arguments could be made about Barkley too this season. Martinez has encouraged him to take risks because he knows he has a solid wall of protection behind him. Maybe there is only two seasons at the very top left in Barry, but we have to offer him 3 years to secure his signing then I can see the logic in that.

Number of posts : 26901
Registration date : 2006-01-22

http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Wed 04 Jun 2014, 11:49 am

Sack the Juggler wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
Mr_Ben wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:

If he can help us to win the title next season or a trophy, then IMO 2 years on the bench is a price worth paying.  18: Gareth Barry - loan or long term City freebie? - Page 3 Action-s
so it would be £3m a year plus £2m fee, £11m for one season and no sell on fee, I thought we'd moved on from being a retirement home for old players  Sad 

We are already a retirement home...McCarthy & Stones play for us Very Happy
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Wed 04 Jun 2014, 12:34 pm

Not a bad deal if he can give us another 2 years like the last one, then a wind-down 3rd year.

Last edited by Yankthattoffee on Sun 08 Jun 2014, 12:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sun 08 Jun 2014, 8:35 am

QPR and Stoke are ready to battle Everton for midfielder Gareth Barry, 33, who is available after being released by Premier League champions Manchester City. Daily Star Sunday

I think we'll be first choice ahead of QPR and Stoke.
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sun 08 Jun 2014, 3:18 pm

Armchair wrote:
QPR and Stoke are ready to battle Everton for midfielder Gareth Barry, 33, who is available after being released by Premier League champions Manchester City. Daily Star Sunday

If not, I would be rather worried.  affraid 
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74408
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Sun 08 Jun 2014, 10:22 pm

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
Armchair wrote:

If not, he's a money-grabbing bell. I could see arsenal getting him. He's exactly the kind of player that would be really useful for them.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15993
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr_Ben Mon 09 Jun 2014, 3:12 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Armchair wrote:

If not, he's a money-grabbing bell. I could see arsenal getting him. He's exactly the kind of player that would be really useful for them.

Stoke have signed Steve Sidwell on a free so that is one less club interested in Barry
Mr_Ben
Mr_Ben

Number of posts : 18404
Registration date : 2005-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernSmugToffee Mon 09 Jun 2014, 5:23 pm

Mr_Ben wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Armchair wrote:

Stoke have signed Steve Sidwell on a free so that is one less club interested in Barry
Sidwell is not in the same class as Barry.
SouthernSmugToffee
SouthernSmugToffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Helenqu Thu 12 Jun 2014, 12:17 pm

Will make up his mind if he wants to rejoin us by July:
http://www.sportinastorm.com/Premier-League/Everton/Barry-to-decide-by-July/X1Y31Z1768843?
Helenqu
Helenqu

Number of posts : 4895

http://www.silverchainsuk.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  SEFTON Thu 12 Jun 2014, 5:31 pm

Helenqu wrote:Will make up his mind if he wants to rejoin us by July:
http://www.sportinastorm.com/Premier-League/Everton/Barry-to-decide-by-July/X1Y31Z1768843?

No body was interested in him while he sat on the bench at Shittey , Everton gave him a second chance.
If he wants to wait until July , No deal he's being a greedy bar-steward.
SEFTON
SEFTON

Number of posts : 10608
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoJagz Thu 12 Jun 2014, 6:00 pm

sefton wrote:

No body was interested in him while he sat on the bench at Shittey , Everton gave him a second chance.

Yeah, sounds like he is stalling for time. Its not like he didn't know he had to decide at the end of the season.

Number of posts : 26901
Registration date : 2006-01-22

http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Helenqu Thu 12 Jun 2014, 6:07 pm

Bluejagz wrote:
sefton wrote:

Yeah, sounds like he is stalling for time. Its not like he didn't know he had to decide at the end of the season.

I am a bit disappointed in him to be honest. I thought he really appreciated what Bobby did for him, obviously not!
Helenqu
Helenqu

Number of posts : 4895

http://www.silverchainsuk.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next