606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everton v Fulham

+7
Rotterdam 1985
hairy cataract
Knight of Thorgothshire
callmebubbles
Da Judge
Lumper
Made 4 Gwladys
11 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Everton v Fulham Empty Everton v Fulham

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sun 17 Dec - 16:20

Carling cup - Quarter final

Tuesday 19 December - 7:45 ko

I am going for FIVE straight wins here so hold on to your jingle bells very tightly.... a semi is highly possible & I haven't seen that since the days of Rachel Unitt Very Happy

According to the boss...
The Duke went off at half time against Bumley with a tight hamstring so we have to have to wait and see if he's fit.
Mykolenko is also touch-and-go.
Seamus & Young  Everton v Fulham 295966 and  Everton v Fulham 295966 are possible but unlikely to figure.

We get two back [Idrissa Gana Gueye and Jarrad Branthwaite] after the suspensions

Full-back slots are considered to be the most likely problem areas by SD.

Jiminez was red carded for them against Manure so I presume he is suspended

M4G will go for a 2-0 win with goals from Mo Besic & JP Gbamin & Michael Keane to be knighted at half time in the centre circle... and as there is no predictor for cup games this is dodgy indeed as no negativity to offset my positive bluenose outlook... perhaps Bubbles has recovered enough from the shock of not tipping us to lose last time & post something really fucking obnoxious & negative Very Happy to offset my blue tinted beliefs

COYB ... UTFT ....and FTPL

bounce cheers cheers bounce

Number of posts : 41004
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Everton v Fulham Empty Re: Everton v Fulham

Post  Lumper Sun 17 Dec - 19:28

I’m at the game on Tuesday. Will be in with the prawn sandwich brigade. I think Everton have won the last three game I’ve been at (V West Ham, Palace and Brentford) so fingers crossed they keep that run going. UTFT.
Lumper
Lumper

Number of posts : 6845
Registration date : 2007-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Judge Sun 17 Dec - 21:07

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:Carling cup - Quarter final

I am going for FIVE straight wins here so hold on to your jingle bells very tightly.... a semi is highly possible & I haven't seen that since the days of Rachel Unitt Very Happy

According to the boss...
The Duke went off at half time against Bumley with a tight hamstring so we have to have to wait and see if he's fit.
Seamus & Young  Everton v Fulham 295966 and  Everton v Fulham 295966 are possible but unlikely to figure.

We get two back [Idrissa Gana Gueye and Jarrad Branthwaite] after the suspensions

M4G will go for a 2-0 win with goals from Mo Besic & JP Gbamin & Michael Keane to be knighted at half time in the centre circle... and as there is no predictor for cup games this is dodgy indeed as no negativity to offset my positive bluenose outlook... perhaps Bubbles has recovered enough from the shock of not tipping us to lose last time & post something really fucking obnoxious & negative Very Happy to offset my blue tinted beliefs

Don't quote me but you mentioning there is no Predictor for Cup games made me think that I had already made a ruling in Tonts v Sef (KB v1 pp470-471) on Wednesday 1st November. Sef was agreed owner of the thread FOR CUP GAMES and if we were to prevail over Burnley (cup game) he would retain thread.

Would you like to retract before Sef gets here M4G? IOt would avoid a lot of inadvertent jinxing (one way or another... I now have bad ju-ju thinking about this)

The man who is prepared to wear a Shoite top IF, AND ONLY IF, you are prepared to cough the £25,000. Its true it was broadcast on National Radio!!
Da Judge
Da Judge

Number of posts : 9785
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Mon 18 Dec - 7:43

Da Judge wrote:

According to the boss...

Don't quote me but you mentioning there is no Predictor for Cup games made me think that I had already made a ruling in Tonts v Sef (KB v1 pp470-471) on Wednesday 1st November. Sef was agreed owner of the thread FOR CUP GAMES and if we were to prevail over Burnley (cup game) he would retain thread.

Would you like to retract before Sef gets here M4G? IOt would avoid a lot of inadvertent jinxing (one way or another... I now have bad ju-ju thinking about this)
nah ... I'm on a roll ... Sef can have the honour back after we lose... probably the City game

The previous ruling was to dodge Sef out of a breach against Tonts if I recall... a kinda premier league make it up as you go along sanction... rather than adhering to the proper rules where honour is retained across all competitions Very Happy ... which can be dug out if required

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Judge Mon 18 Dec - 9:07

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Da Judge wrote:

According to the boss...

nah ... I'm on a roll ... Sef can have the honour back after we lose... probably the City game

The previous ruling was to dodge Sef out of a breach against Tonts if I recall... a kinda premier league make it up as you go along sanction... rather than adhering to the proper rules where honour is retained across all competitions  Very Happy ... which can be dug out if required

You're not Donald "rules don't apply to me " Trump are you?

The man who is prepared to wear a Shoite top IF, AND ONLY IF, you are prepared to cough the £25,000. Its true it was broadcast on National Radio!!
Da Judge
Da Judge

Back to top Go down

Post  callmebubbles Mon 18 Dec - 11:30

We are gonna smash Fulham!!! 3-1. No fucking problem at all!!!
Wow, this feels weird......but I like it!!!!!!

callmebubbles
callmebubbles

Number of posts : 5547
Registration date : 2006-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Mon 18 Dec - 11:35

callmebubbles wrote:We are gonna smash Fulham!!!  3-1. No fucking problem at all!!!
Wow, this feels weird......but I like it!!!!!!

affraid we're fucking doooooomed

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Mon 18 Dec - 13:52

Da Judge wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Da Judge wrote:

According to the boss...

The previous ruling was to dodge Sef out of a breach against Tonts if I recall... a kinda premier league make it up as you go along sanction... rather than adhering to the proper rules where honour is retained across all competitions  Very Happy ... which can be dug out if required

lol! lol! lol! lol! Everton v Fulham F_laugh Everton v Fulham F_laugh Everton v Fulham F_laugh
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74410

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Mon 18 Dec - 16:20

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
Da Judge wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Da Judge wrote:

According to the boss...

lol! lol! lol! lol! Everton v Fulham F_laugh Everton v Fulham F_laugh Everton v Fulham F_laugh
well I am going a strange shade of orange, but I assumed that was something to do with the missing prostate Laughing

USA... USA... USA......

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Mon 18 Dec - 23:13

I'm going to this one, so that's the end of our cup run.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25870

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Tue 19 Dec - 0:49

I reckon there will be some goals in this one. Fulham are dangerous but they play wide open.

So I'm predicting a 3-2 win with all three of our goals coming from McNeil 50 yard dribbles through an invisible Fulham midfield followed by 30 yard piledrivers.

It's just occurred to me that at the age of 54 and having used the word liberally for most of my life, I didn't actually know what a piledriver is in a proper, non-football context. So I googled it...

"A piledriver is a professional wrestling driver move in which the wrestler grabs their opponent, turns them upside-down, and drops into a sitting or kneeling position, driving the opponent head-first into the mat. The technique is said to have been innovated by Wild Bill Longson."

I now have no idea, based on that explanation, why it's used to describe a very hard shot that goes in the net.

This has now got me thinking about other stupid football terms. Who was the first commentator to decide that they'd use "strain every sinew" to describe a footy player who works really hard? It's got a Motty feel to it, that one.

Anyway, come on you blues, let's see some telling passes and piledriver shots (but don't hit them too well). There are no easy games at this level, but I'm confident that if we strain every sinew with no quarter asked nor given, then we'll be able to celebrate with a bottle of red wine after the game.

No, I was hoping that paragraph would have got this out of my system but it's only produced more questions. Why red wine, after the game? Why not white, or a six pack of Grolsch and a packet of Planters peanuts torn open and left on the table to be shared?
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14809
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Judge Tue 19 Dec - 2:42

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:I reckon there will be some goals in this one. Fulham are dangerous but they play wide open.

So I'm predicting a 3-2 win with all three of our goals coming from McNeil 50 yard dribbles through an invisible Fulham midfield followed by 30 yard piledrivers.

It's just occurred to me that at the age of 54 and having used the word liberally for most of my life, I didn't actually know what a piledriver is in a proper, non-football context. So I googled it...

"A piledriver is a professional wrestling driver move in which the wrestler grabs their opponent, turns them upside-down, and drops into a sitting or kneeling position, driving the opponent head-first into the mat. The technique is said to have been innovated by Wild Bill Longson."

I now have no idea, based on that explanation, why it's used to describe a very hard shot that goes in the net.

This has now got me thinking about other stupid football terms. Who was the first commentator to decide that they'd use "strain every sinew" to describe a footy player who works really hard? It's got a Motty feel to it, that one.

Anyway, come on you blues, let's see some telling passes and piledriver shots (but don't hit them too well). There are no easy games at this level, but I'm confident that if we strain every sinew with no quarter asked nor given, then we'll be able to celebrate with a bottle of red wine after the game.

No, I was hoping that paragraph would have got this out of my system but it's only produced more questions. Why red wine, after the game? Why not white, or a six pack of Grolsch and a packet of Planters peanuts torn open and left on the table to be shared?

My particular bête noir is the idea that humans are somehow like nuclear reactors in that they can deliver more than 100%. For example we are giving 110% focus on the matches coming up. Nuclear reactors have an absolute power output threshold (dangerous as fuck - ask Chernobylites) so within that envelope they scale back and set that level as 100%.

When I last looked no human has such a capabilty defined. 100% is the absolute destruction of the human body total energy exertion and zero fuel insertion. The best athletes can sustain ratings of 100% for very short periods of time (rowers, cycle sprinters and endurance racing - Tour de France etc). However I can sympathise with any player saying he is going to be working his cock and balls to a complete frazzle to get a result - at a level approaching 95%.

I once played in a rugby game and was required to play at about my 95% capacity for around 20 minutes at the end of a match to defend a lead (UAU semi-final) and it took e 4 weeks to properly recover. But what would I know I am not the athlete I once was.

All I ask of Everton's players is that when they get back into the dressing room they each ask themselves the simple question Carwyn James asked of us

The Inimitable Carwyn James - British Isles & Ireland Lions Coach wrote: "did you leave an 'IF' out on the park boys? Because if you did then we will never know the resolution to the horror that is uncertainty that we left something out there. If there are no ifs then we have been beaten on the day by a better team, simple as. So boys - remember no Ifs in the end."

Still the best coach I ever had.

Da Judge
Da Judge

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Tue 19 Dec - 10:10

Da Judge wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:I reckon there will be some goals in this one. Fulham are dangerous but they play wide open.

My particular bête noir is the idea that humans are somehow like nuclear reactors in that they can deliver more than 100%. For example we are giving 110% focus on the matches coming up. Nuclear reactors have an absolute power output threshold (dangerous as fuck - ask Chernobylites) so within that envelope they scale back and set that level as 100%.

When I last looked no human has such a capabilty defined. 100% is the absolute destruction of the human body total energy exertion and zero fuel insertion. The best athletes can sustain ratings of 100% for very short periods of time (rowers, cycle sprinters and endurance racing - Tour de France etc). However I can sympathise with any player saying he is going to be working his cock and balls to a complete frazzle to get a result - at a level approaching 95%.

I once played in a rugby game and was required to play at about my 95% capacity for around 20 minutes at the end of a match to defend a lead (UAU semi-final) and it took e 4 weeks to properly recover. But what would I know I am not the athlete I once was.

All I ask of Everton's players is that when they get back into the dressing room they each ask themselves the simple question Carwyn James asked of us

The Inimitable Carwyn James - British Isles & Ireland Lions Coach wrote: "did you leave an 'IF' out on the park boys? Because if you did then we will never know the resolution to the horror that is uncertainty that we left something out there. If there are no ifs then we have been beaten on the day by a better team, simple as. So boys - remember no Ifs in the end."

Still the best coach I ever had.

I like this common sense approach. Similar to my demands (which I've written to my MP about) that advertisers be totally accurate in a no-nonsense way as to what their product does. E.g. "Durex - you put it on your cock before a shag and it stops women getting pregnant, like, most of the time." It's sort of a one-man campaign against hyperbole and wank marketing speak.

So, come on lads, I want you to give approximately 80-95% levels (dependent on your fitness and conditioning, and also the specific need for work at varying times during the game) for a significant chunk of the 90 minutes, managing your effort intelligently so that you can maximise your output with a view to winning the game while also ensuring that you can still get out of bed for the 9 games you have to play over Christmas.

It's a bit more of a mouthful, but at least it means something.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  fourdoors Tue 19 Dec - 13:48

And there was I, a trained (but non-practising) Civil Engineer, naively thinking it referred to a shot as powerful as the hammer used for driving steel piles into the ground to form the foundational structure of a building. Now I feel a bit silly for thinking that.

The red wine reference I always understood like this: "proper" sportsmen don't drink beer (too many calories) so on the rare occasions when they indulge, then wine is the beverage of choice. It's stronger than beer, weaker than whisk(e)y, and tastes nicer than White Lightning. And since red wine can command the astronomical sums that only the very rich can afford, it tends to be (very expensive) red wine which they drink after a match.

fourdoors

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2005-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  fourdoors Tue 19 Dec - 13:55

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

I like this common sense approach. Similar to my demands (which I've written to my MP about) that advertisers be totally accurate in a no-nonsense way as to what their product does. E.g. "Durex - you put it on your cock before a shag and it stops women getting pregnant, like, most of the time." It's sort of a one-man campaign against hyperbole and wank marketing speak.
Surely Durex are also against wank marketing?
Unless it's a posh wank.

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
So, come on lads, I want you to give approximately 80-95% levels (dependent on your fitness and conditioning, and also the specific need for work at varying times during the game) for a significant chunk of the 90 minutes, managing your effort intelligently so that you can maximise your output with a view to winning the game while also ensuring that you can still get out of bed for the 9 games you have to play over Christmas.

It's a bit more of a mouthful, but at least it means something.

I reckon Yank could turn that into a song.
It just needs the right chord structure, a catchy riff or two (or six, given its length), and the kind of rhythm that even a drunkard in the Gwladys Street End can cope with after 90 minutes of cursing and cheering.

Maybe there could be a stanza which defines "significant chunk" more precisely?

fourdoors

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2005-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Tue 19 Dec - 15:07

fourdoors wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Surely Durex are also against wank marketing?
Unless it's a posh wank.

lol!
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Tue 19 Dec - 15:33

fourdoors wrote:

And there was I, a trained (but non-practising) Civil Engineer, naively thinking it referred to a shot as powerful as the hammer used for driving steel piles into the ground to form the foundational structure of a building. Now I feel a bit silly for thinking that.

The red wine reference I always understood like this: "proper" sportsmen don't drink beer (too many calories) so on the rare occasions when they indulge, then wine is the beverage of choice. It's stronger than beer, weaker than whisk(e)y, and tastes nicer than White Lightning. And since red wine can command the astronomical sums that only the very rich can afford, it tends to be (very expensive) red wine which they drink after a match.

Ah. Now that makes more sense. As you can imagine, I didn't delve into this with the determination of an investigative journalist who wants to get to the bottom of, say, corruption in football. I literally copied and pasted the first reply that Google threw at me. I can only assume from this that wrestling is more popular and relevant to the average Googler than Civil Engineering. You may feel offended by his on behalf of your erstwhile profession, but you can't argue with algorithms mate.

Also, I like to think of a "non-practising Civil Engineer" as being something similar to a non-practising Christian. You went to classes and read all the books and believed in it all for a long time, but at some point you started to have some doubts. You still believe in civil engineering, and you might still design a sewage system once a year or on special occasions, but you no longer live your life by its rules and constraints ah no scrap this, it's a shit analogy. Although I like the idea of the "Civil Engineerites" being forced to leave their homeland in a mass exodus to set up somewhere else where they could practice their beliefs without oppression. Imagine the civilisation they'd build. Whereas the rest of us would be back to mud huts.

I've gone off on a tangent somewhat...if my rapidly fading memory serves, the red wine thing may actually have come from one manager, and I'm thinking Fergie or Wenger from their sworn rivalry days, where one of them joked in an interview that "we actually quite like each other and will often share a glass of red after the game." This would make sense as Wenger is French and so was drinking wine from the age of two, and Fergie the rough Glaswegian started hanging out with the hoi polloi at racecourses and art galleries so probably affects a love of the noble grape even though what he really wants after a game is several pints of Tennants Extra.

Anyway, my theory is it then became standard commentator speak, that all managers will have a wine cellar in their office at the ground, stocked only with red wine though, and to be shared only with opposition managers. And only one glass, mind. If I'm right then this would be a rare thing, that we'd actually know the genesis of a football cliché.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Tue 19 Dec - 16:54

We all know what it means, but I've always amused myself at what someone who has never seen football would make of the concept of a square ball.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4515
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Tue 19 Dec - 18:48

hmmmmm .. so does this mean Keane at left back ???? Everton v Fulham F_doh

COYB

Everton v Fulham Captu282

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Tue 19 Dec - 19:17

Any good streams tonight given it’s not on telly?
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15993

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Tue 19 Dec - 19:44

Tonteau wrote:Any good streams tonight given it’s not on telly?
can't find much ... trawlinf twitter at the moment.

May resort to the OS commentary

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Tue 19 Dec - 19:45

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
can't find much ... trawlinf twitter at the moment.

May resort to the OS commentary
there are some on twitter #EVEFUL

... COYB

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Tue 19 Dec - 19:46

https://weakspell.org/soccer-streams/everton-vs-fulham/145811/
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22543
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Tue 19 Dec - 19:48

and we are off .. COYB