606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brentford v Everton

+3
Yankthattoffee
Goodison_Gringo
Armchair
7 posters

Go down

Brentford v Everton  Empty Brentford v Everton

Post  Armchair Sat 27 Aug 2022, 2:36 pm

Onana starts. Gordon, Gray and McNeil up front. Maupay not in squad.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22554
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Brentford v Everton  Empty Re: Brentford v Everton

Post  Armchair Sat 27 Aug 2022, 3:13 pm

I can't find a working link, which I think is probably a blessing.
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sat 27 Aug 2022, 3:17 pm

66% possession cheers cheers cheers
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sat 27 Aug 2022, 3:27 pm

Gordon cheers
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Sat 27 Aug 2022, 3:38 pm

http://bongstreams.com/events/soccer/brentford-vs-everton/

stop start for me, but i think it's my connection. it works though, maybe you have better luck.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4518
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sat 27 Aug 2022, 4:02 pm

I feckin' hate back 3s.
Holgate is either in the way or leaving it to others.
Get back to 2 CBs and a terrier in front of them.
COYBs and defend ffs.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 27 Aug 2022, 4:21 pm

The Shite could get 10 today. Rolling Eyes
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14844
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sat 27 Aug 2022, 4:36 pm

Sounds like we are under pressure Neutral
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 27 Aug 2022, 4:55 pm

1-1 FT. My lad was watching on a dodgy stream and has just texted me to say he's very happy we got a point out of that.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sat 27 Aug 2022, 4:57 pm

Oh well, I guess we'd have settled for a point at kick off. Hopefully we might be able to play a striker against Leeds.
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Sat 27 Aug 2022, 5:02 pm

we didn't deserve more than a point, but the ball watching towards the end and for their goal was criminal.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4518
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sat 27 Aug 2022, 5:06 pm

FL has the raw material to work with, so it's tactics + a terrier and a striker + keep Gordon.
Back 3/5 drives me nuts. Brentford v Everton  661318
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Sat 27 Aug 2022, 5:18 pm

I only saw the second half but we were dire. Sadly looked very much like a relegation team trying to pick up lucky points against much superior opposition. And this was only Brentford.

The RS will murder us next week. They’ll be looking to get two or three up i the first ten minutes and seeing what happens after that. I’d like to see both full backs dropped for that game - bring in Coleman for some experience and Vinagre cos he looked miles better than Mykolenko when he came on.

Maupay isn’t enough to get is out of this situation. West Ham or Wolves will overtake us, and the. I can’t see us getting out the bottom three for some time, if at all.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25878
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 27 Aug 2022, 6:28 pm

Very fortunate point today. With some Luck Brentford could have scored 4.

Not really any player standing out, apart from maybe Pickford and Iwobi. Not much after that to mention really.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74431

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 27 Aug 2022, 6:35 pm

hairy cataract wrote:I only saw the second half but we were dire. Sadly looked very much like a relegation team trying to pick up lucky points against much superior opposition. And this was only Brentford.

The RS will murder us next week. They’ll be looking to get two or three up i the first ten minutes and seeing what happens after that. I’d like to see both full backs dropped for that game - bring in Coleman for some experience and Vinagre cos he looked miles better than Mykolenko when he came on.

Maupay isn’t enough to get is out of this situation. West Ham or Wolves will overtake us, and the. I can’t see us getting out the bottom three for some time, if at all.

Yeah well, I'll take your word for that as I didn't see the game. But we know we're shit, we just have to grab every point we can until we become a bit less shit. I've had snapped your hand off for a point today, so despite the late equaliser I'm not unhappy with a draw.

Big week, this. Transfer deadline week.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  callmebubbles Sun 28 Aug 2022, 12:16 am

Assuming zero points from next 3 games, its the transfers that will have a say in our future. The current squad will get relegated, no doubt at all. If Gordon goes he will not be replaced by anyone as good, and we will be relegated. Only vague hope is getting Gueye, some pace, and a decent forward (Maupay is shit) and keeping Gordon. Wont happen so we will be relegated. Holgates injury means Keane will play. There is no way out of this. We were mauled by fucking Brentford. What will the shite and Arse do to us??? Didnt think it could get worse but it has!!
callmebubbles
callmebubbles

Number of posts : 5548
Registration date : 2006-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sun 28 Aug 2022, 2:46 am

I'm surprised that Coady got bullied so easily off the ball over and over; I thought he was supposed to be a hard-arse.

Gordon scored which was a well taken goal, and he works hard tracking back. If he leaves, he'll be missed. He doesn't challenge for headers for some reason, just bends over and let the defender make the header.

Anyway, as stated above, I would have taken a point prior to kick-off so I'm not too upset either.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74431

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sun 28 Aug 2022, 12:50 pm

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:I'm surprised that Coady got bullied so easily off the ball over and over; I thought he was supposed to be a hard-arse.

Gordon scored which was a well taken goal, and he works hard tracking back. If he leaves, he'll be missed. He doesn't challenge for headers for some reason, just bends over and let the defender make the header.

Anyway, as stated above, I would have taken a point prior to kick-off so I'm not too upset either.

Coady is certainly flawed as a defender. I've never been that impressed with him TBH, he reminds me of Carragher in a lot of ways. But he's experienced, is something of a leader and is better than Keane and Holgate, so I was OK with him coming in. I think he's also just about good enough to partner Tarko or Mina in a flat back four if (hopefully when) Lampard reverts back to this.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sun 28 Aug 2022, 1:11 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:I'm surprised that Coady got bullied so easily off the ball over and over; I thought he was supposed to be a hard-arse.

Coady is certainly flawed as a defender. I've never been that impressed with him TBH, he reminds me of Carragher in a lot of ways. But he's experienced, is something of a leader and is better than Keane and Holgate, so I was OK with him coming in. I think he's also just about good enough to partner Tarko or Mina in a flat back four if (hopefully when) Lampard reverts back to this.
Thelwell and FL look set to continue the back 3/5. Thelweel has said in the past that that's the preferred line up and what their philosophy will be when. looking at the squad
Klopp's interview after their 9-0 summed up the problem of such a line up. He knew as soon as Bournemouth revealed a 3/5 the way he was going to batter them. Other teams know as well. We need a terrier and a front runner as badly as we've ever needed them.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sun 28 Aug 2022, 4:38 pm

Looks like we got battered on the MOTD highlights Neutral
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sun 28 Aug 2022, 6:21 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Thelwell and FL look set to continue the back 3/5. Thelweel has said in the past that that's the preferred line up and what their philosophy will be when. looking at the squad
Klopp's interview after their 9-0 summed up the problem of such a line up. He knew as soon as Bournemouth revealed a 3/5 the way he was going to batter them. Other teams know as well. We need a terrier and a front runner as badly as we've ever needed them.

I share your concerns. I don't mind 3 CBs generally, if you can do it properly. I don't think we do, I don't think the CBs are comfortable with their roles in that formation. Having said that, I'm only going off of highlights, I haven't seen us play live all season.

If - IF - we were to get Gueye back in, then I think it would be feasible to switch back to a 4, although even there the defensive qualities of the full-backs would worry me.

But if they're all in with the 3 CBs then this is probably academic.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Sun 28 Aug 2022, 6:30 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

I share your concerns. I don't mind 3 CBs generally, if you can do it properly. I don't think we do, I don't think the CBs are comfortable with their roles in that formation. Having said that, I'm only going off of highlights, I haven't seen us play live all season.

If - IF - we were to get Gueye back in, then I think it would be feasible to switch back to a 4, although even there the defensive qualities of the full-backs would worry me.

Yes, I’d like to see us with four at the back and a gana type player shielding them. In the absence of Mina it’s probably be Tarkowski and Coady, but I’d have Coleman back in for Patterson and I’d give Vinagre a run instead of Mykolenko who hasn’t impressed me much. Gana Onana and Iwobi in the middle, Gordon DCL when fit and Maupay
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25878

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sun 28 Aug 2022, 9:39 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Yes, I’d like to see us with four at the back and a gana type player shielding them. In the absence of Mina it’s probably be Tarkowski and Coady, but I’d have Coleman back in for Patterson and I’d give Vinagre a run instead of Mykolenko who hasn’t impressed me much. Gana Onana and Iwobi in the middle, Gordon DCL when fit and Maupay

It's a measure of the continued recruitment confusion that we go and sign Tarko, who has played in a flat back four for years, and also Coady, who is used to playing in a three. Make your minds up, lads.

I reckon Coady could adapt to a flat back four pretty quickly - Mina is certainly comfortable in a four (which is of course a hilariously theoretical statement, given that he gets his leg braces on a repeat prescription.) Tarkowski is the issue for me. Again I'm only going off of highlights but Tarko looks at bit at sea in a 3. I'm happy to be corrected here but my gut feeling is that we're compromising our best CB by sticking with this formation.

Counter-argument: I've said in the past that we shouldn't chop and change. We're not good enough to play horses for courses, we just have to allow our limited squad to get comfortable in a consistent formation. So maybe we're better served just sticking with this. I do agree with virtually every Blue on Twitter though - if we're going to play wing backs it has to be Vinagre over Myko - that looks obvious to me based on what I've seen. Myko as the left CB in the three could make sense.

We are comparing turds though. I mean, I was watching Spurs earlier and they had Bissouma and Richarlison on the bench FFS. (Incidentally they also played a three with a slightly iffy full back on the left of the three. Just saying.) Imagine the luxury of being able to debate the pros and cons of Perisic v Richarlison or Hojbjerg v Bissouma. We're in a different world.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down