606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wayne Rooney

+16
SEFTON
WellOilBeefHooked
The President
Goodison_Gringo
Da Judge
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
Sack the Juggler
hairy cataract
Made 4 Gwladys
Statman
Lumper
Barry Horne's Equaliser
Super
Knight of Thorgothshire
SouthernSmugToffee
Gravy & Chips
20 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Wayne Rooney - Page 4 Empty Re: Wayne Rooney

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Fri 15 Jan 2021, 6:21 pm

Da Judge wrote:
Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:Wayne Rooney has retired from football after being appointed as permanent manager of Derby County on a two-and-a-half-year contract.

Sure have some great memories from his playing days.
Yes we both do... possibly his greatest single goal - as well as a great view of his only Everton Hattrick I think......
cheers I was thinking about that as well Chris - that was a fantastic evening and game. Wayne Rooney - Page 4 Food-smi Wayne Rooney - Page 4 Food-smi Wayne Rooney - Page 4 Bowdown
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74428
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Wed 15 Sep 2021, 2:56 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/58557941

This is really interesting. I always thought (perhaps a story spun by the club or the media) that it was Stretford engineering a move but it sounds like we needed to flog him.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22552
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Wed 15 Sep 2021, 5:25 pm

Armchair wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/58557941

This is really interesting. I always thought (perhaps a story spun by the club or the media) that it was Stretford engineering a move but it sounds like we needed to flog him.

suddenly seems believable when it's from the horse's mouth.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4518
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 16 Sep 2021, 1:38 am

Goodison_Gringo wrote:

It's a murky old world, football. Clubs play their fans every bit as effectively as politicians play the electorate. It wouldn't surprise me if Stretford was given a bigger slice of the pie in return for being the public fall guy. Agents don't give the tiniest shit if fans hate them.

Remember when Gary Speed went? And it was presented as him wanting out? And Speed, a lifelong Blue, decided to keep mum. He simply said something like "the truth behind this will come out one day."

Sadly we probably won't get the truth on that one now, unless anyone else knows of any details around that sale, that have passed me by?
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14836
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Thu 16 Sep 2021, 5:59 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Goodison_Gringo wrote:

It's a murky old world, football. Clubs play their fans every bit as effectively as politicians play the electorate. It wouldn't surprise me if Stretford was given a bigger slice of the pie in return for being the public fall guy. Agents don't give the tiniest shit if fans hate them.

Remember when Gary Speed went? And it was presented as him wanting out? And Speed, a lifelong Blue, decided to keep mum. He simply said something like "the truth behind this will come out one day."

Sadly we probably won't get the truth on that one now, unless anyone else knows of any details around that sale, that have passed me by?

I heard numerous times, about him getting off the bus on the way to an away game because Kendall was leathered and there was a big argument. He was sold shortly afterwards. Can't remember the exact story but probably others heard it too? I imagine there was more to it than that anyway.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4518
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Fri 17 Sep 2021, 1:47 pm

Goodison_Gringo wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Goodison_Gringo wrote:

I heard numerous times, about him getting off the bus on the way to an away game because Kendall was leathered and there was a big argument. He was sold shortly afterwards. Can't remember the exact story but probably others heard it too? I imagine there was more to it than that anyway.
I read the same thing that Speed was upset with Howard drinking at inappropriate times. Granted, we might have read the same article/story, so who knows.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Thu 17 Feb 2022, 1:33 pm

I watched the Rooney movie/documentary last night on Amazon Prime. It dealt more with him as a person than as a footballer, even though that was covered as well naturally. Pretty good, but neither Rooney nor Coleen came across as very articulate. Still a decent watch though.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Thu 17 Feb 2022, 5:19 pm

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:I watched the Rooney movie/documentary last night on Amazon Prime. It dealt more with him as a person than as a footballer, even though that was covered as well naturally. Pretty good, but neither Rooney nor Coleen came across as very articulate. Still a decent watch though.

I'm not sure why they agreed to it. There were some very awkward moments, particularly when Wayne's eye for a pint and a granny came up, and Colleen looked like she was struggling to justify why she hadn't booted him out. Nobody's business of course, so why go into it?

I thought the most interesting stuff was about him being just a child when he broke through, and how ill-suited Rooney and his missus were to be the heirs to the Posh/Becks media frenzy. To be honest though, I thought the interview he did with the BBC to promote the documentary told us more. Sadly, he thinks he's got his drinking under control when he clearly needs never to touch a drop again. Alcohol just doesn't work for some people, and it seems to be his downfall.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25874

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Thu 17 Feb 2022, 6:24 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:I watched the Rooney movie/documentary last night on Amazon Prime. It dealt more with him as a person than as a footballer, even though that was covered as well naturally. Pretty good, but neither Rooney nor Coleen came across as very articulate. Still a decent watch though.

I'm not sure why they agreed to it.  There were some very awkward moments, particularly when Wayne's eye for a pint and a granny came up, and Colleen looked like she was struggling to justify why she hadn't booted him out.  Nobody's business of course, so why go into it?  

I thought the most interesting stuff was about him being just a child when he broke through, and how ill-suited Rooney and his missus were to be the heirs to the Posh/Becks media frenzy.  To be honest though, I thought the interview he did with the BBC to promote the documentary told us more.  Sadly, he thinks he's got his drinking under control when he clearly needs never to touch a drop again.  Alcohol just doesn't work for some people, and it seems to be his downfall.
I tagged it on my Amazon watchlist but haven't bothered as I thought it would be a depressing self destruct catalogue of Wayne's life

Number of posts : 41036

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Thu 17 Feb 2022, 10:51 pm

hairy cataract wrote:

I'm not sure why they agreed to it.  There were some very awkward moments, particularly when Wayne's eye for a pint and a granny came up, and Colleen looked like she was struggling to justify why she hadn't booted him out.  Nobody's business of course, so why go into it?  

I thought the most interesting stuff was about him being just a child when he broke through, and how ill-suited Rooney and his missus were to be the heirs to the Posh/Becks media frenzy.  To be honest though, I thought the interview he did with the BBC to promote the documentary told us more.  Sadly, he thinks he's got his drinking under control when he clearly needs never to touch a drop again.  Alcohol just doesn't work for some people, and it seems to be his downfall.
Yeah, it was borderline cringe worthy at times.

And what about the part about his aunt that he adored, and then they showed some videos of her and she flipped off the camera and came across as a generally rather semi-depressed women who appeared to hate everyone and everybody. Strange stuff.

But despite it all, still a decent watch. Just a bit odd at times....
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Fri 18 Feb 2022, 2:23 pm

hairy cataract wrote:

I haven't seen it, but this is the point, really. How are any of us able to judge people like this when we've never had to deal with this kind of attention? Not just the fact that it was at such a young age for them, but also something that's presented to them and assumed by them to be a dream come true (fame! fortune! grannies!) but which will ultimately be so destructive to so many people put in that position.

I had a tiny, by comparison microscopic, glimpse into this when I was running my youth football club. Nothing to do with fame of course, but to do with manipulation of the truth. I may have mentioned this elsewhere on this board, but word was put around that I was "booting out" a coach who was under investigation for bullying kids, and who resigned as soon as the allegation was put to him. Suddenly, while I was at work, I had this string of irate parents phoning me demanding answers and not listening to a word I would say in reply. (One of them actually said to me "OK so he may be a bully, but he's a good coach.") So someone - the coach, I assume - was putting out distortions of the truth. And because he was idolised by many of the parents - ex-pro for Millwall, bit of a charmer - they swallowed it all wholesale.

I wasn't booting him out. I was duty-bound to investigate once the allegations had been made - sweeping these things under the carpet is how we end up with the Barry Bennells and Jerry Sanduskys of this world. It may have ended with there being no case to answer, but he resigned, because I couldn't just take his word that a couple of 10-year-olds were lying to their parents.

It was incredible, actually very difficult to deal with. It only lasted for a couple of days. But it was a tiny little insight into what it must be like when you don't control the narrative, therefore can't inform people of the truth. And that was just a dozen mad parents, not the world's press and, by extension, every footy fan out there. The surprise to me is how such people find themselves in these positions and don't end up damaged in some way.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Fri 18 Feb 2022, 2:44 pm

Very well stated Rotts, well done.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Wed 11 Oct 2023, 12:23 pm

Rooney gets the Birmingham job...

He may have landed on his feet here. New owners, including Tom Brady putting money in, and they've made a good start for once. No excuses for him with this one.

Of course, they sacked their previous manager last week despite him doing really well and getting them into the top 6, so in the interests of football karma I hope this all blows up in their faces and they cling on to Big Name Rooney despite him taking them down three divisions in three years ("we back Wayne, because he was good at football once. We have every confidence that Wayne can get us back into Conference North this season.")
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4