606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

26. Tom Davies - blue grit

+14
Knight of Thorgothshire
Made 4 Gwladys
Super
Armchair
SEFTON
Goodison_Gringo
Lumper
The President
Barry Horne's Equaliser
Statman
RhinoJagz
Yankthattoffee
Sack the Juggler
SouthernSmugToffee
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

26. Tom Davies - blue grit - Page 3 Empty Re: 26. Tom Davies - blue grit

Post  Yankthattoffee Fri 23 Jun 2023, 1:02 am

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:Offering him a new contract shows how ill positioned we are in regards to FFP rules. I mean, why otherwise offer him a new contract?

Makes me wonder what the contract length and his salary are now at.

I think you're right - not just in relation to FFP but just generally how much cash might be available. I suspect he's seen as a cheap squaddie, despite barely getting a look in under Dyche so far.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it and maybe there is a logical reason that escapes me for the retention of Davies, but at first glance this bodes ill for our summer recruitment. But hey, never mind, we're used to relegation battles now, so we need to start spinning this positively. We are fucking elite at avoiding relegation.

The only thing I can think here, as I fight that regular fight between positivity and gloom in my own head, is that we consider ourselves to be set at CM and don't need to do anything there, and that extends to retaining the existing squaddies as well as the first-teamers. The emergence of Garner does leave us pretty strong in that area, relative to every other position (on the assumption that Onana isn't going anywhere, that is).

Anyway, Davies might turn the contract down yet.

He has indeed. He's off.

Do we get any transfer fee, seeing that we offered him a contract? (Groping strawward)

Last edited by Yankthattoffee on Fri 23 Jun 2023, 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Fri 23 Jun 2023, 9:21 am

Sorry to see a homegrown player leave, but he didn't really kick and we probably have 3 or 4 lads in the U21s who are at a similar level to him.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22547
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Fri 23 Jun 2023, 10:57 am

Armchair wrote:Sorry to see a homegrown player leave, but he didn't really kick and we probably have 3 or 4 lads in the U21s who are at a similar level to him.

Coaching matters, and it's possible that he would have benefitted from some stability at manager level, and a coaching setup that could have worked on his game over a period of time. That said, my issue with Davies is that he never really had one element to his game that he was noticeably good at, so there wasn't anything obvious there to build on. Not particularly quick, not a great passer, not a great tackler, rarely chipped in with goals, wasn't an assist machine, didn't really cover the ground in midfield particularly effectively.

He was just a body on the pitch, for me. A placeholder until somebody better recovered from injury. I don't think he'll be a particular loss to us, especially with the emergence of Garner. But he seems like a nice fella and I was never offended (as some were) by his wacky fashion tastes. Very Happy

I wish him well and hope he finds a role in a team where he can make a difference.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14824
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Fri 23 Jun 2023, 12:21 pm

I'd like to see the contract we offered him.

Tom: "what's this, Interim Chairman Bill? It says here, I'll get £50 a week plus a new pair of boots? And I'll be expected to run errands for you and the rest of the Interim Board, including that fucking clown Moshiri? And when I'm sitting on the bench, I have to wear women's underwear and a big cowboy hat? You can tell Mosh and the rest of the interim cunts to fucking do one mate, I'm off to sign for Leeds for fifty grand a week and barm cakes every Tuesday. Wanker."
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25870
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Fri 23 Jun 2023, 1:39 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Armchair wrote:Sorry to see a homegrown player leave, but he didn't really kick and we probably have 3 or 4 lads in the U21s who are at a similar level to him.

Coaching matters, and it's possible that he would have benefitted from some stability at manager level, and a coaching setup that could have worked on his game over a period of time. That said, my issue with Davies is that he never really had one element to his game that he was noticeably good at, so there wasn't anything obvious there to build on. Not particularly quick, not a great passer, not a great tackler, rarely chipped in with goals, wasn't an assist machine, didn't really cover the ground in midfield particularly effectively.

He was just a body on the pitch, for me. A placeholder until somebody better recovered from injury. I don't think he'll be a particular loss to us, especially with the emergence of Garner. But he seems like a nice fella and I was never offended (as some were) by his wacky fashion tastes. Very Happy

I wish him well and hope he finds a role in a team where he can make a difference.
I agree with all of that, well said. A lot of times when he came on as a sub, he made no impact or change to the game. Nothing.

Not a big loss, but I think we all deep down wonder what could have been considering that goal against City.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74425
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Wed 16 Aug 2023, 8:26 pm

Joined Sheff Utd.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22547