606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

+33
Valentino Blue
Gravy & Chips
WellOilBeefHooked
Lumper
Tonteau
Royal Blue Mersey
anticipate_the_pass
Dixie Land
My other LB is a Ferrari
SEFTON
hairy cataract
Sack the Juggler
Armchair
Knight of Thorgothshire
Super
Barry Horne's Equaliser
SouthernSmugToffee
The President
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
Made 4 Gwladys
Yankthattoffee
Albert
Helenqu
Goodison_Gringo
Blue gazza
Doc( Ninetoes )blue
Hinchcliffe Corner
Statman
Mr_Ben
Cahill the Great
Merseyblue
fourdoors
ToffeeDan
37 posters

Page 1 of 36 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 36  Next

Go down

ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?) Empty ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Hinchcliffe Corner Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:29 am

So here he is, what can we expect from RM?
Hinchcliffe Corner
Hinchcliffe Corner

Number of posts : 2425
Registration date : 2006-01-27

http://www.phil-cooper.co.uk

Back to top Go down

ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?) Empty Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Da Judge Thu 06 Jun 2013, 11:44 am

Hinchcliffe Corner wrote:So here he is, what can we expect from RM?
Am I the only one still getting confused as to why Real Madrid are all over our club at the moment... as you say 11 years of muscle memory is going to take some adjustment.

As others have said.... I think the talent is there to look at a match and unpick the opponents and play successfully. We saw that against us and I saw first hand at Wembley. He also managed to get wins at Anfield, Arsenal and I think Old Trafford, most of which leaves David staring blankly into space.

The key is Kenwright being firm enough to say that we show loyalty to the coaches (Weir and Stubbs) and ensure that they are organising a stronger defence. I think Martinez as a midfield creative player is more likely to mix it up and make us perhaps more positive in front of goal. If we can retain the balance of the squad we have I see generally an upside.

When you analyse last season .... we were a much better side than previous years. It will not take as much as people think to nudge on the doors of the top 4. I do see us having to win a cup and improving to 5th as the minimum. I think the year after next sees the 2013-14 Europe League winner gain entry to the CL. We need to remember that as another viable way of getting CL football. we are not likely ever to win the title unless we experience some form of paradigm shift.

The man who is prepared to wear a Shoite top IF, AND ONLY IF, you are prepared to cough the £25,000. Its true it was broadcast on National Radio!!
Da Judge
Da Judge

Number of posts : 9784
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?) Empty Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  SEFTON Thu 06 Jun 2013, 12:00 pm

We can't expect miracles that's for sure , He's going to need some time to settle in, it will be interesting to see what Martinez does in the transfer market . Hopefully Bill & the board keep their word by financing some new players . its a whole new ball game for Martinez? better facilities-players-hopefully better funds and one of the most passionate supporters club following right behind him.When Martinez steps out in-front of the Goodison park faithful for the first time , He's never going to experience such an atmosphere, He will know what Everton is all about , if Martinez is a tactical genius ? like Kenwright seems to think he is , he will have the fans on the edge of the seats, I think when Martinez told kenwright he would get Everton into the champions league, he never said which season he would do it in,the little guy will bring a sense of calm to the club and hopefully will get the players motivated to prove we are not punching above are weight (hate that saying) We are Everton and as our badge rightly says ? NILS SATIS NISI OPTIMUM=nothing but the best will do. lets just hope Martinez will do for us.
SEFTON
SEFTON

Number of posts : 10608
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Thu 06 Jun 2013, 12:03 pm

SEFTON wrote:

We can't expect miracles that's for sure , He's going to need some time to settle in, it will be interesting to see what Martinez does in the transfer market . Hopefully Bill & the board keep their word by financing some new players . its a whole new ball game for Martinez? better facilities-players-hopefully better funds and one of the most passionate supporters club following right behind him.When Martinez steps out in-front of the Goodison park faithful for the first time , He's never going to experience such an atmosphere, He will know what Everton is all about , if Martinez is a tactical genius ? like Kenwright seems to think he is , he will have the fans on the edge of the seats, I think when Martinez told kenwright he would get Everton into the champions league, he never said which season he would do it in,the little guy will bring a sense of calm to the club and hopefully will get the players motivated to prove we are not punching above are weight (hate that saying) We are Everton and as our badge rightly says ? NILS SATIS NISI OPTIMUM=nothing but the best will do. lets just hope Martinez will do for us.

bought tears to my eyes reading that! COYB!

Oh, but its as our badge USED TO say Sad
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Number of posts : 25877
Registration date : 2005-10-14

http://something-wild.org/gallery/Hotties3/aaa

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 06 Jun 2013, 12:45 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:
SEFTON wrote:

I was chatting to my girlfriend's dad the other day and he said when he was a kid, he used to like Everton and he'd asked his godfather, who was a latin scholar, to translate the everton motto. He'd said the best translation was 'No rest until best' and that he thought the club's translation wasn't as accurate. I quite like that, think it fits us better.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15993

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Thu 06 Jun 2013, 1:27 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
SEFTON wrote:

I was chatting to my girlfriend's dad the other day and he said when he was a kid, he used to like Everton and he'd asked his godfather, who was a latin scholar, to translate the everton motto. He'd said the best translation was 'No rest until best' and that he thought the club's translation wasn't as accurate. I quite like that, think it fits us better.

that's not right, the literal translation is more like Nothing (Nil) satisfies (Satis - although you could use "is enough") except (Nisi - although again you could use "unless" or "if not") the best (Optimum)
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Thu 06 Jun 2013, 1:51 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
SEFTON wrote:

that's not right, the literal translation is more like Nothing (Nil) satisfies (Satis - although you could use "is enough") except (Nisi - although again you could use "unless" or "if not") the best (Optimum)

Ah yes, but the art of translation is not to be literal, but to capture the essence of what is being said in another language. So, in this case, Nothing But The Best Will Do is probably the best translation.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25870
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Thu 06 Jun 2013, 1:59 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
SEFTON wrote:

Ah yes, but the art of translation is not to be literal, but to capture the essence of what is being said in another language. So, in this case, Nothing But The Best Will Do is probably the best translation.

Perfect, now what's Latin for "Everton's the team that plays beautiful football..."

answer:

Spoiler:
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Back to top Go down

Post  SEFTON Thu 06 Jun 2013, 2:35 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
SEFTON wrote:

Perfect, now what's Latin for "Everton's the team that plays beautiful football..."

answer:

Spoiler:

Correct Answer.

Evertons al equipo que juega al fútbol hermoso lol!
SEFTON
SEFTON

Back to top Go down

Post  SEFTON Thu 06 Jun 2013, 2:42 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
SEFTON wrote:

Neither is that mate.

NIL SATIS NISI OPTIMUM =Nothing but the best for enough BELIEVE IT OR NOT. lol!
SEFTON
SEFTON

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 06 Jun 2013, 2:54 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
SEFTON wrote:

I think that's what this fella was saying. A better relection of its meaning in Latin would be "No rest until best". I like it, but I'm sure you lot with your google translate all know better. Laughing
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  SEFTON Thu 06 Jun 2013, 2:57 pm

Tonteau wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
SEFTON wrote:

I think that's what this fella was saying. A better relection of its meaning in Latin would be "No rest until best". I like it, but I'm sure you lot with your google translate all know better. Laughing

Sorry Tonts my google latin came up with NOTHING BUT THE BEST FOR ENOUGH.
SEFTON
SEFTON

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 06 Jun 2013, 2:58 pm

SEFTON wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
SEFTON wrote:

Sorry Tonts my google latin came up with NOTHING BUT THE BEST FOR ENOUGH.

Great! That's our new motto, then.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:44 pm

Look lads its simple, this is exactly how we were taught latin at school

Centurion: What's this thing? "ROMANES EUNT DOMUS"? "People called Romanes they go the house?"

Brian: It... it says "Romans go home".

Centurion: No it doesn't. What's Latin for "Roman"?

<Brian hesitates >

Centurion: Come on, come on!

Brian: <uncertain> "ROMANUS?".

Centurion: Goes like?

Brian: "-ANUS".

Centurion: Vocative plural of "-ANUS" is?

Brian: "-ANI".

Centurion: <takes paintbrush from Brian and paints over> "RO-MA-NI". "EUNT"? What is "EUNT"?

Brian: "Go".

Centurion: Conjugate the verb "to go"!

Brian: "IRE"; "EO", "IS", "IT", "IMUS", "ITIS", "EUNT".

Centurion: So "EUNT" is ...?

Brian: Third person plural present indicative, "they go".

Centurion: But "Romans, go home!" is an order, so you must use the ...?

<He lifts Brian by his short hairs >

Brian: The ... imperative.

Centurion: Which is?

Brian: Um, oh, oh, "I", "I"!

Centurion: How many Romans? (pulls harder)

Brian: Plural, plural! "ITE".

<Centurion strikes over "EUNT" and paints "ITE" on the wall >

Centurion: "I-TE". "DOMUS"? Nominative? "Go home", this is motion towards, isn't it, boy?

Brian: (very anxious) Dative?

<Centurion draws his sword and holds it to Brian's throat >

Brian: Ahh! No, ablative, ablative, sir. No, the, accusative, accusative, ah, DOMUM, sir.

Centurion: Except that "DOMUS" takes the ...?

Brian: ... the locative, sir!

Centurion: Which is? Brian: "DOMUM".

Centurion: <satisfied> "DOMUM"...

He strikes out "DOMUS" and writes "DOMUM"

Centurian: ..."-MUM". Understand?

Brian: Yes sir.

Centurion: Now write it down a hundred times.

Brian: Yes sir, thank you sir, hail Caesar, sir.

Centurion: <saluting> Hail Caesar. If it's not done by sunrise, I'll cut your balls off.

Brian: <very relieved> Oh thank you sir, thank you sir, hail Caesar and everything, sir!
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Thu 06 Jun 2013, 5:57 pm

Tonteau wrote:I think that's what this fella was saying. A better relection of its meaning in Latin would be "No rest until best". I like it, but I'm sure you lot with your google translate all know better. Laughing

Oi you cheeky sod! Just noticed that, I didn't go through three years of compulsory latin to have to google that phrase! Mainly because we didn't have google in my day Embarassed

It was one of the first things I looked up in my Latin class, and it helped that I was in Domingo House and there was a painting of the Prince Rupert Tower outside our classroom cheers

So it is literally "Nothing satisfies except the best" which as Hairy points out is more loosely translated as "nothing but the best is good enough" or "Only the best will do"
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Thu 06 Jun 2013, 6:39 pm

Saccum Praestigiatorum wrote:
Tonteau wrote:I think that's what this fella was saying. A better relection of its meaning in Latin would be "No rest until best". I like it, but I'm sure you lot with your google translate all know better. Laughing

Oi you cheeky sod! Just noticed that, I didn't go through three years of compulsory latin to have to google that phrase! Mainly because we didn't have google in my day Embarassed

It was one of the first things I looked up in my Latin class, and it helped that I was in Domingo House and there was a painting of the Prince Rupert Tower outside our classroom cheers

So it is literally "Nothing satisfies except the best" which as Hairy points out is more loosely translated as "nothing but the best is good enough" or "Only the best will do"

I family motto is "Nothing Satisfies Except The Beast" Very Happy
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25870

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Thu 06 Jun 2013, 6:50 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Saccum Praestigiatorum wrote:

I family motto is "Nothing Satisfies Except The Beast" Very Happy

I reckon you'd need the accusative for that, so "Nils Satis Nisi Bestiam" - although Uwie might correct me on that Very Happy
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Back to top Go down

Post  ToffeeDan Thu 06 Jun 2013, 7:20 pm

We will have money to spend because Kenwright NOW has a man he can trust.. An honourable man who - yes he has walked or talked his way out of a job at Wigan - has replaced a dishonourable man who refused to commit.

I have it on very good authority (press source) that Kenwright was incandescent with rage over Moyes desire to go to Man U from some time back. The lack of compo costing us a lot of money and almost certainly the deciding factor in United's appointing Moyes. BK is keeping this inhouse but it may well have influenced him in not staying in house and seeming indifference to losing part of the backroom team.

Watch this space if United really think Baines on the cheap is going to happen. BK may appear a bit dim but he can bite back.

Liverpoole Echo Sun 12 March 1234: Euerton celebrate another drubbing of ye Shoite - quaffing muche Ale (Ye Spellowe, Blacke Horse, Wims Lowe (upstairs)) and spliffs & oft singing new chant "1,2 - 1,2,3 - 1,2,3,4 - 5-Nil." Big Dunkane (Bird Keeper of Euerton) was, yet again, sent-off by Judge Polle for landing several blows at head of serf James of Carreggore & Red Shoite Stephen Meelaar, Squire of Hitune fame who wed Ladie of The Night Alexa de Curraine and is wont to fight pubbe minstrels, was given an earlie dunking in Ye Mere of Stanlee Parke for an elbough to face of local serf Hibbeyrt. After being given ye olde clothe of vinegar by Rath-Boyne Hibbeyrt returned to scoreth fifth & finale goale past Ye Flying Pigge Thomas of Lawrence in Parke Ende - a riot followed. Euerton: Weste, Hibbeyrt, Wilsone, La Boyne, Mountyfielde, Balle, Kendel, Harveigh, Fergusaine, Latcheford, Deen of Tran Mere
ToffeeDan
ToffeeDan

Number of posts : 20252

http://www.packers.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Tue 18 Jun 2013, 2:00 pm

"The 39-year-old told the club's official website: "As you can imagine, [making new signings] is something that you need to work early on and obviously the whole football club will work together towards that.

"There is some work going on already and, over the next few weeks, we need to make sure that we bring the right characters as well as the right players to the football club.

"It's not going to be the case of bringing anyone at any time – it's important we identify the type of help we need in the dressing room and in the team and make sure they are a type of footballer who will fit in with the train of thought at Everton.

"It's more a matter of finding the right players and that will take a little bit of time."

So August 31st it is then........
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernSmugToffee Tue 18 Jun 2013, 3:11 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:"The 39-year-old told the club's official website: "As you can imagine, [making new signings] is something that you need to work early on and obviously the whole football club will work together towards that.

"There is some work going on already and, over the next few weeks, we need to make sure that we bring the right characters as well as the right players to the football club.

"It's not going to be the case of bringing anyone at any time – it's important we identify the type of help we need in the dressing room and in the team and make sure they are a type of footballer who will fit in with the train of thought at Everton.

"It's more a matter of finding the right players and that will take a little bit of time."

I don't mind doing business late on, as long as its not losing key players at the last minute.
SouthernSmugToffee
SouthernSmugToffee

Number of posts : 3935
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Tue 18 Jun 2013, 6:17 pm

SouthernSmugToffee wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:"The 39-year-old told the club's official website: "As you can imagine, [making new signings] is something that you need to work early on and obviously the whole football club will work together towards that.

I don't mind doing business late on, as long as its not losing key players at the last minute.
this could be the window when we actually do sign Foo Khall

Number of posts : 41001

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Helenqu Thu 20 Jun 2013, 5:58 pm

My tactical analysis tends to pretty much stop at trying to score more goals than you concede but I wondered what you thought of this?

http://blog.squawka.com/2013/06/20/analysis-an-in-depth-insight-into-roberto-martinez-wigan-tactics/2013062011419
Helenqu
Helenqu

Number of posts : 4895

http://www.silverchainsuk.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Thu 20 Jun 2013, 7:00 pm

Helenqu wrote:My tactical analysis tends to pretty much stop at trying to score more goals than you concede but I wondered what you thought of this?

http://blog.squawka.com/2013/06/20/analysis-an-in-depth-insight-into-roberto-martinez-wigan-tactics/2013062011419

Interesting read. But I can't help thinking that if Martinez really is such a great manager, Wigan wouldn't be in the Championship.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22542
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Thu 20 Jun 2013, 7:31 pm

A bit on the long side, but pretty interesting.

Makes me remember in the early part of the year when Moyes made some substitutions which just pissed me off and we ended up conceeding and/or losing the chance to win the game. I would mutter to myself "maybe it's just time Moyes left".

Well, reading this piece makes me even more excited regarding the upcoming season. I think we needed some fresh air, regardless of how well Moyes had done with us.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74405

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Helenqu Fri 21 Jun 2013, 4:04 pm

Nice little video discussion here about Martinez and Everton.

http://www.lifesapitch.co.uk/laptv/im-surprised-everton-fans-are-so-positive-about-martinez/
Helenqu
Helenqu

Number of posts : 4895

http://www.silverchainsuk.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 36 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 36  Next