606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everton v Arsenal

+5
Made 4 Gwladys
SEFTON
Tonteau
hairy cataract
Rotterdam 1985
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Everton v Arsenal Empty Everton v Arsenal

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 14 Sep 2023, 10:24 pm

Holy fuck.

International breaks, although quite boring, continue to feel more and more like oases of tranquility, whereby the troubles of Everton are left in cold storage for a week or two. Last weekend was dull but relatively stress-free. At least the trauma is delayed this weekend until Sunday afternoon.

Harrison and DCL have both been training this week. Big Jarrad is apparently fine despite bailing out of U21 duty last week. So what do we do here? Write this game off as a lost cause and leave Harrison and DCL to work on their levels of Dychefitness in preparation for easier games?

It's probably academic in the case of Harrison, I can't imagine he's yet close enough to the insane levels of fitness that Dyche demands. But if fully-fit then I'd love to see DCL and Beto let loose on the Arsenal back four. We'll still lose 4-0 like, but it will be fun to see a few fancy-dan Arsenal defenders (I'm thinking of you, Ben White) limping off at the end or walking off with bandaged heads and a shocked "jesus christ" look on their faces.

Dogs of War - 2023 Striker Version. All flying elbows and digs in the back at corners. Bring it on.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14823
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Everton v Arsenal Empty Re: Everton v Arsenal

Post  hairy cataract Fri 15 Sep 2023, 8:24 am

with my new policy this season of minimising the Everton-related damage to my mental health and the state of my marriage, I will be giving this one a miss and instead going up for the Luton game at the end of the month.  Of course I'll still watch it on telly so my mental health will still be taking a reduced, but nevertheless substantial kicking of course.

Last season I might have optimistically called this one as a nil-nil backs to the wall thriller, but our defence is laughably chaotic this time around, so I'll go for 4-4 with Beto, DCL, Doucoure and Elvis Presley getting on the scoresheet for us.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25870
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Fri 15 Sep 2023, 11:07 am

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:Holy fuck.

International breaks, although quite boring, continue to feel more and more like oases of tranquility, whereby the troubles of Everton are left in cold storage for a week or two. Last weekend was dull but relatively stress-free. At least the trauma is delayed this weekend until Sunday afternoon.

Harrison and DCL have both been training this week. Big Jarrad is apparently fine despite bailing out of U21 duty last week. So what do we do here? Write this game off as a lost cause and leave Harrison and DCL to work on their levels of Dychefitness in preparation for easier games?

It's probably academic in the case of Harrison, I can't imagine he's yet close enough to the insane levels of fitness that Dyche demands. But if fully-fit then I'd love to see DCL and Beto let loose on the Arsenal back four. We'll still lose 4-0 like, but it will be fun to see a few fancy-dan Arsenal defenders (I'm thinking of you, Ben White) limping off at the end or walking off with bandaged heads and a shocked "jesus christ" look on their faces.

Dogs of War - 2023 Striker Version. All flying elbows and digs in the back at corners. Bring it on.

Yeah it was a blessed relief. On Saturday we took the kids to splash in a local stream, sat about in the sunshine and had a picnic lunch. The spectre of everton doing something extremely everton cast not one shadow over anything, it was wonderful.

Also why are you STILL starting match threads after your record?
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15994
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Fri 15 Sep 2023, 11:21 am

Tonteau wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:Holy fuck.

Yeah it was a blessed relief. On Saturday we took the kids to splash in a local stream, sat about in the sunshine and had a picnic lunch. The spectre of everton doing something extremely everton cast not one shadow over anything, it was wonderful.

Also why are you STILL starting match threads after your record?

I'll have you know Mr Tonteau that my match thread earned us our first point of the season at Sheffield United.

Basically I'm doing that thing that gambling addicts do when they're on a bad run - rather than give it up for a while, I'm pushing through and doubling down on the basis that the luck has to turn at some point. Luckily my house, job, marriage and family shouldn't be lost due to my stubbornness with match day threads. Hope not anyway.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  SEFTON Fri 15 Sep 2023, 10:38 pm

Everton return to Goodson to face Arsenal, Jarrard Branthwaite has recovered from a knock, Jack Harrison has started grass training but, won’t be available for Sundays game,DCL is back fighting fit will be a welcome headache for Everton manager Sean Dyche to have two his strikers fit DCL and Beto will be interesting to see who starts Sundays game.

Going a 2-0 win UTFTs DCL and Beto cheers
SEFTON
SEFTON

Number of posts : 10609
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 16 Sep 2023, 12:04 am

SEFTON wrote:Everton return to Goodson to face Arsenal, Jarrard Branthwaite has recovered from a knock, Jack Harrison has started grass training but, won’t be available for Sundays game,DCL is back fighting fit will be a welcome headache for Everton manager Sean Dyche to have two his strikers fit DCL and Beto will be interesting to see who starts Sundays game.

A surplus of strikers, eh? A selection headache you say?

The world has been turned upside down. That's not good at our age, we like certainty. There was always a strange reactionary comfort in whingeing about Maupay's shortcomings.

Beto will start and is gonna fuck shit up.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  SEFTON Sat 16 Sep 2023, 8:25 am

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
SEFTON wrote:Everton return to Goodson to face Arsenal, Jarrard Branthwaite has recovered from a knock, Jack Harrison has started grass training but, won’t be available for Sundays game,DCL is back fighting fit will be a welcome headache for Everton manager Sean Dyche to have two his strikers fit DCL and Beto will be interesting to see who starts Sundays game.

The world has been turned upside down. That's not good at our age, we like certainty. There was always a strange reactionary comfort in whingeing about Maupay's shortcomings.

Yep, at our age we like routine not change but, a change is as good as a rest so they say?
Maupay was the stress release button we all hit when blaming somebody,
Watch him play well now at Brentford as a number 10.

Me thinks Beto is Lukakuesk get McNeil fit and Harrison both to supply crosses
Beto will get an abundance of goals.
SEFTON
SEFTON

Number of posts : 10609
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 16 Sep 2023, 6:19 pm

SEFTON wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Yep, at our age we like routine not change but, a change is as good as a rest so they say?

I'm hoping, but not expecting Dyche to play both DCL & Beto in 4-4-2.

...but he'll probably play a lone striker & look for a break to try & salvage a point (or win)

Number of posts : 41029

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sun 17 Sep 2023, 2:12 am

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
SEFTON wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

...but he'll probably play a lone striker & look for a break to try & salvage a point (or win)

When Harrison is fit, and if he's on the other flank from McNeil, you have two very hardworking wingers who can both cross a ball, but who will track back enough to at least part-compensate for only having two in the middle of the park. Only then do I think Dyche would consider playing both Beto and DCL together.

Two flies in the ointment there - one, Dyche might still prefer Danjuma, even when Harrison is fit; and two, Dyche really likes Doucoure in the second striker position.

Whatever, at least we have some options up front at last. The Saudis manage to keep Isak and Wilson happy despite never starting with both of them up front. Same with the Shite, they generally don't start Gakpo and Nunez together. Dyche has a preference for 4-4-2 but his need for workhorses trumps that right now. So I see Doucoure keeping his place, in that role, for the foreseeable.

That said, and given my level of hope for tomorrow's game, I'll have a smile on my face if I'm wrong and we see Beto and DCL line up together. It might be worth the risk in a game like Arsenal, where we'll be defending deep for most of the game anyway.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sun 17 Sep 2023, 9:12 am

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
SEFTON wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

When Harrison is fit, and if he's on the other flank from McNeil, you have two very hardworking wingers who can both cross a ball, but who will track back enough to at least part-compensate for only having two in the middle of the park. Only then do I think Dyche would consider playing both Beto and DCL together.

Two flies in the ointment there - one, Dyche might still prefer Danjuma, even when Harrison is fit; and two, Dyche really likes Doucoure in the second striker position.

Whatever, at least we have some options up front at last. The Saudis manage to keep Isak and Wilson happy despite never starting with both of them up front. Same with the Shite, they generally don't start Gakpo and Nunez together. Dyche has a preference for 4-4-2 but his need for workhorses trumps that right now. So I see Doucoure keeping his place, in that role, for the foreseeable.

That said, and given my level of hope for tomorrow's game, I'll have a smile on my face if I'm wrong and we see Beto and DCL line up together. It might be worth the risk in a game like Arsenal, where we'll be defending deep for most of the game anyway.
I think a combo on the wings of Danjuma, Dele, McNeil, Garner or Harrison, maybe Myko (when all fit) allows us to play 2 up front... If Mc Neil is fit today then play him +Danjuma against Arse... with Beto & DCL up top... that's a very strong attacking formation for a home game IMO

I'd also play Garner instead of Patterson at full back... with 2 from Onana / Gueye / Duke in the middle.

... and start Branthwaite again with Tarky. Lastly I suppose the old fella is our best option at LB.

Number of posts : 41029

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lumper Sun 17 Sep 2023, 3:30 pm

According to El Bobble: Beto, Vitalii Mykolenko, Dwight McNeil all start for Everton, Nathan Patterson drops to the bench whilst Dominic Calvert-Lewin returns to the Everton squad with a place on the bench. Jack Harrison misses out.
Lumper
Lumper

Number of posts : 6845
Registration date : 2007-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sun 17 Sep 2023, 3:34 pm

1Pickford
19Mykolenko
6Tarkowski
32Branthwaite
18Young
7McNeil
27Gueye
8Onana
10Danjuma
16Doucouré
14Gomes Betuncal

Young and Myko both play. Can Young play RB? I'd have thought Garner would be a better choice.

Subs:

2Patterson
5Keane
9Calvert-Lewin
12Neves Virgínia
22Godfrey
28Ramalho Chermiti
37Garner
61Dobbin
62Onyango

Armchair
Armchair