606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

7 - Dwight McNeil - Hairy loves him !

+4
Goodison_Gringo
Rotterdam 1985
hairy cataract
Made 4 Gwladys
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

7 - Dwight McNeil - Hairy loves him ! Empty 7 - Dwight McNeil - Hairy loves him !

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Wed 27 Jul 2022, 6:35 pm

We're turning into Burnley, we are !!

Everton have made an offer for Dwight McNeil for around 20 million including add ons which the deal will be paid in instalments, Burnley are set to accept the fee with the player being very keen in the move to Everton.

Last edited by Made 4 Gwladys on Sat 30 Jul 2022, 9:51 am; edited 2 times in total

Number of posts : 41046
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

7 - Dwight McNeil - Hairy loves him ! Empty Re: 7 - Dwight McNeil - Hairy loves him !

Post  hairy cataract Wed 27 Jul 2022, 7:04 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:We're turning into Burnley, we are !!

Everton have made an offer for Dwight McNeil for around 20 million including add ons which the deal will be paid in instalments, Burnley are set to accept the fee with the player being very keen in the move to Everton.

So, we won't pay £17m for Maxwell Cornet, who scored nine goals last season, but we will pay £20m for Dwight McNeil, who scored no goals last season.

Brilliant. You can see why Everton are held in such high esteem in the football world at the moment.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25881

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

7 - Dwight McNeil - Hairy loves him ! Empty Re: 7 - Dwight McNeil - Hairy loves him !

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Wed 27 Jul 2022, 7:17 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:We're turning into Burnley, we are !!

So, we won't pay £17m for Maxwell Cornet, who scored nine goals last season, but we will pay £20m for Dwight McNeil, who scored no goals last season.

Brilliant.  You can see why Everton are held in such high esteem in the football world at the moment.  
..and I'm trying not to beat up on Burnley, as I think Tarky is a great acquisition .... but fucking hell, these arseholes relegated Burnley last season.... why the fuck do we think they are able to perform for us & not Burnley....

...just asking like ???

...if we are going after old players that were relegated why not go for someone who can actually strike a ball !!... like Teemu Pukki

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Wed 27 Jul 2022, 11:10 pm

I happen to think that McNeil is a decent player. His raw numbers are worrying, although it should be remembered that for most of his time at Burnley he was playing for one of the most defensive-obsessed managers we've seen in the PL. Whenever I've seen him play, I've been quite impressed by him.

He's still only 22, and at least he does something tangible and recognisable, in that he'll take a defender on. Far better to spend £20m on him than someone like Winks. So I'm quite happy with this.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14846
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Thu 28 Jul 2022, 7:25 am

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:I happen to think that McNeil is a decent player. His raw numbers are worrying, although it should be remembered that for most of his time at Burnley he was playing for one of the most defensive-obsessed managers we've seen in the PL. Whenever I've seen him play, I've been quite impressed by him.

He's still only 22, and at least he does something tangible and recognisable, in that he'll take a defender on. Far better to spend £20m on him than someone like Winks. So I'm quite happy with this.

Yeah, loads on Toffeeweb are saying the same, that his stats are somehow irrelevant. I dunno though, he don't score, he don't lay goals on, what does he do? Is a winger who has no end product really a priority position for us?

He was much coveted in early 2021, when he last scored (against us of course), but have Burnley been playing him in defence since? Cornet has certainly hasn't had the same problem scoring.

My gut feeling is that it's all about the deal structure. Cornet is the more attractive proposition - he's got a few clubs talking to him - so Burnley turned down our offer of a loan to buy, or £5m down and the rest on HP. McNeil has had a poor season for a relegated club, so they're more likely to entertain our spread payment offer.

I thought he looked good in the 20/21 season, especially against us. Most of the play going forward went through him and he tore us apart at times, despite having no pace. But that's exactly what I thought about Iwobi when he played against us in his last season at Arsenal and, despite his heroics running all over the pitch at the end of last season, he's been a bit of a disaster for most of his time with us, and was massively over-priced.

McNeil at £12m plus add-ons, and a modest salary, might be worth a punt. Mainly because I think we're struggling to get anyone at all to sign.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Thu 28 Jul 2022, 8:42 am

Everton are in advanced discussions with Burnley over the transfer of Dwight McNeil for an undisclosed fee.

The 22 year old is having a medical at Finch Farm and the deal is likely to be completed in the next 24 hours.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 28 Jul 2022, 10:11 am

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:I happen to think that McNeil is a decent player. His raw numbers are worrying, although it should be remembered that for most of his time at Burnley he was playing for one of the most defensive-obsessed managers we've seen in the PL. Whenever I've seen him play, I've been quite impressed by him.

Yeah, loads on Toffeeweb are saying the same, that his stats are somehow irrelevant.  I dunno though, he don't score, he don't lay goals on, what does he do?  Is a winger who has no end product really a priority position for us?

He was much coveted in early 2021, when he last scored (against us of course), but have Burnley been playing him in defence since? Cornet has certainly hasn't had the same problem scoring.

My gut feeling is that it's all about the deal structure.  Cornet is the more attractive proposition - he's got a few clubs talking to him - so Burnley turned down our offer of a loan to buy, or £5m down and the rest on HP. McNeil has had a poor season for a relegated club, so they're more likely to entertain our spread payment offer.

I thought he looked good in the 20/21 season, especially against us.  Most of the play going forward went through him and he tore us apart at times, despite having no pace.  But that's exactly what I thought about Iwobi when he played against us in his last season at Arsenal and, despite his heroics running all over the pitch at the end of last season, he's been a bit of a disaster for most of his time with us, and was massively over-priced.

McNeil at £12m plus add-ons, and a modest salary, might be worth a punt.  Mainly because I think we're struggling to get anyone at all to sign.

Yeah when I combine his stats with my own impression of him, the result is Peter Beagrie, the internationally-recognised standard unit of measure for all flair, no end product.

I needed to shake that conclusion out of my head. So before I commenced my day's toil for The Man this morning, I did some extensive research (as much as 5 or 6 minutes' worth) on what Burnley fans are saying about him.

It was a mix of two things really - one one side the "no loyalty in football anymore, he ain't that good anyway, fuck off and good riddance" brigade, and on the other side the "ahh, shame, he was freed up to express himself as soon as Dyche left" club.

Several apprarently sensible Burnley fans on Twitter were reassuring blues that he is much better than his stats suggest. Two things stick in my head - firstly that yes, he was to all intents and purposes being played as a defender in Dyche's park-the-bus system. And second, he's all left foot, and Dyche kept him on the left so that on the odd occasion when he did get forward, he'd just whip a cross in for Chris Wood. They were saying that he'd be far more effective on the right, cutting in, but Dyche never did that.

I agree 100% that we need to get whoever we can get at the moment. At that price and with the structure of the payments, this is probably a reasonable risk.

Oh, more than one Burnley fan commented that Cornet is a 20 games per season man and generally can't last 90 minutes. McNeil is rarely injured. That may also play into the thinking.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Thu 28 Jul 2022, 11:07 am

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

Yeah, loads on Toffeeweb are saying the same, that his stats are somehow irrelevant.  I dunno though, he don't score, he don't lay goals on, what does he do?  Is a winger who has no end product really a priority position for us?

My gut feeling is that it's all about the deal structure.  Cornet is the more attractive proposition - he's got a few clubs talking to him - so Burnley turned down our offer of a loan to buy, or £5m down and the rest on HP. McNeil has had a poor season for a relegated club, so they're more likely to entertain our spread payment offer.

I thought he looked good in the 20/21 season, especially against us.  Most of the play going forward went through him and he tore us apart at times, despite having no pace.  But that's exactly what I thought about Iwobi when he played against us in his last season at Arsenal and, despite his heroics running all over the pitch at the end of last season, he's been a bit of a disaster for most of his time with us, and was massively over-priced.

McNeil at £12m plus add-ons, and a modest salary, might be worth a punt.  Mainly because I think we're struggling to get anyone at all to sign.

Yeah when I combine his stats with my own impression of him, the result is Peter Beagrie, the internationally-recognised standard unit of measure for all flair, no end product.

I needed to shake that conclusion out of my head. So before I commenced my day's toil for The Man this morning, I did some extensive research (as much as 5 or 6 minutes' worth) on what Burnley fans are saying about him.

It was a mix of two things really - one one side the "no loyalty in football anymore, he ain't that good anyway, fuck off and good riddance" brigade, and on the other side the "ahh, shame, he was freed up to express himself as soon as Dyche left" club.

Several apprarently sensible Burnley fans on Twitter were reassuring blues that he is much better than his stats suggest. Two things stick in my head - firstly that yes, he was to all intents and purposes being played as a defender in Dyche's park-the-bus system. And second, he's all left foot, and Dyche kept him on the left so that on the odd occasion when he did get forward, he'd just whip a cross in for Chris Wood. They were saying that he'd be far more effective on the right, cutting in, but Dyche never did that.

I agree 100% that we need to get whoever we can get at the moment. At that price and with the structure of the payments, this is probably a reasonable risk.

Oh, more than one Burnley fan commented that Cornet is a 20 games per season man and generally can't last 90 minutes. McNeil is rarely injured. That may also play into the thinking.

Can’t say fairer than that, sign him!

However, I just want you to know that I’m holding you personally responsible for his performance every time he puts on a blue shirt.

I’m coming round to this one now, he’ll probably do okay for us. Where does he play though? On the right of a front three, with Gordon on the left and DCL down the middle? Is that a 3421 kind of formation with two wing backs and two in central midfield?
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 28 Jul 2022, 1:26 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

However, I just want you to know that I’m holding you personally responsible for his performance every time he puts on a blue shirt.

I’m coming round to this one now, he’ll probably do okay for us. Where does he play though? On the right of a front three, with Gordon on the left and DCL down the middle? Is that a 3421 kind of formation with two wing backs and two in central midfield?

That's a heavy responsibility, and one that I solemnly accept. Although I think I'm covered either way. If he turns out to be toss then I can just invoke my Peter Beagrie disclaimer.

I reckon 3421 might be the way we're going, and I'll put my head above the parapet and state that this is probably our best option with the players available. I'll say it again though, if this is the way we play then we need to be consistent with it so that players can work out their roles. I think it works given that we have wing backs who will do the necessary running, and the likes of Gordon and McNeil are also hard workers who will know when to drop back if the two in the middle have their hands full.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Thu 28 Jul 2022, 2:03 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

That's a heavy responsibility, and one that I solemnly accept. Although I think I'm covered either way. If he turns out to be toss then I can just invoke my Peter Beagrie disclaimer.

I reckon 3421 might be the way we're going, and I'll put my head above the parapet and state that this is probably our best option with the players available. I'll say it again though, if this is the way we play then we need to be consistent with it so that players can work out their roles. I think it works given that we have wing backs who will do the necessary running, and the likes of Gordon and McNeil are also hard workers who will know when to drop back if the two in the middle have their hands full.

If he adds some Beagrie somersaults and backflips to his game, then yes.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4518
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Thu 28 Jul 2022, 3:01 pm

BREAKING ... he's now signed.

https://www.evertonfc.com/news/2693179/everton-complete-mcneil-signing

-------------------------------------

I remain underwhelmed... these are the same players who relegated Burnley.

...I'm not impressed ! ...

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Thu 28 Jul 2022, 3:17 pm

Great signing! I’m delighted with this - a young exciting talent who never misses a match, at a bargain basement price.

I admit I did have my doubts, but the promise of backflips and thirty goals a season, as agreed with Rotts, has led to my u turn.

Up the fucking toffees!
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 28 Jul 2022, 3:37 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:BREAKING ... he's now signed.

It ain't just us. So far this summer, Wolves, Newcastle, Brentford and Forest have signed ex-Burnley players.

Also on this basis we should never have appointed Joe Royle or Bobby Martinez, who both achieved top 6 in their first full seasons as manager having just gone down with their previous clubs  - clubs who, like Burnley, aren't really Prem-calibre but who defied the odds and stayed there for several seasons.

I have some reservations about McNeil but Burnley getting relegated ain't one of them. I have no reservations about the Tarkowski signing.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Thu 28 Jul 2022, 4:03 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:BREAKING ... he's now signed.

It ain't just us. So far this summer, Wolves, Newcastle, Brentford and Forest have signed ex-Burnley players.

Also on this basis we should never have appointed Joe Royle or Bobby Martinez, who both achieved top 6 in their first full seasons as manager having just gone down with their previous clubs  - clubs who, like Burnley, aren't really Prem-calibre but who defied the odds and stayed there for several seasons.

I have some reservations about McNeil but Burnley getting relegated ain't one of them. I have no reservations about the Tarkowski signing.
I certainly have no issue with Tarkowski

We'll see with McNeil ... I hope you're right (obviously) .. but we will see

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Thu 28 Jul 2022, 6:24 pm

I believe he has more tattoos that Alli Deli so he should start ahead of him.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74433

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Fri 29 Jul 2022, 2:58 pm

It would appear that he has been given the No7 shirt ... on the OS

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Fri 29 Jul 2022, 3:17 pm

Can't say I know much about this player, but he sure has divided the fan base from what I can tell. He's either a promising player with a (hopefully) bright future, or he's totally useless and played for a relegated team.

Time will tell.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74433

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Sat 30 Jul 2022, 9:55 am

Magnificent. Could be the signing of the season.

Finally, we’ve got a decent number 7. That last one was shite.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sat 30 Jul 2022, 9:04 pm

Hmmmmm

Elsewhere, Dwight McNeil shone on his debut as Everton beat Dynamo Kyiv.
McNeil, who joined the Toffees from Burnley for £20m earlier this week, struck twice after coming off the bench to seal a 3-0 win for Frank Lampard's side at Goodison Park.
Having been introduced just after the hour mark, McNeil rifled home on 73 minutes before bagging his second five minutes later after being set up by fellow debutant Ruben Vinagre.
Dominic Calvert-Lewin put Everton ahead after five minutes when he slotted home after being picked out by summer signing James Tarkowski.
An unofficial fourth goal was added by an Everton supporter who converted a penalty after being invited onto the pitch in recognition of his humanitarian work.
Paul Stratton travelled to the Ukrainian border with Poland to hand out supplies to fleeing refugees following the Russian invasion.
He was given instructions by Toffees boss Frank Lampard on the touchline before taking to the pitch in full kit, scoring at the Gwladys Street End and celebrating in front of fans and Everton's players.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  callmebubbles Wed 17 Aug 2022, 8:22 pm

Anyone spotted anything decent about him yet? I'm struggling
callmebubbles
callmebubbles

Number of posts : 5549
Registration date : 2006-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Wed 17 Aug 2022, 9:45 pm

callmebubbles wrote:Anyone spotted anything decent about him yet? I'm struggling

He scored two goals in a preseason friendly. Other than that, give him time to adjust from playing with Dyche’s stag-do-paintball team to the free-flowing effervescent toffees.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15996
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Wed 17 Aug 2022, 10:42 pm

Tonteau wrote:
callmebubbles wrote:Anyone spotted anything decent about him yet? I'm struggling

He scored two goals in a preseason friendly. Other than that, give him time to adjust from playing with Dyche’s stag-do-paintball team to the free-flowing effervescent toffees.

7 - Dwight McNeil - Hairy loves him ! Action-s
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sun 19 Feb 2023, 11:48 am

We need to talk about Dwight McNeil.

First thing to say is that he'll be a starter for the rest of the season whether people like it or not. For three reasons - his workrate, which can never be doubted, the fact that Dyche trusts him, and his crossing. We actually look like a threat at corners now. Also he put two crosses in yesterday from open play that were screaming to be tapped in. It ain't his fault that we have no strikers to get on the end of them.

He's starting to remind me more and more of Kevin Kilbane - a limited winger with no pace who nevertheless tries to make the most of every last ounce of ability for the cause, works his bollocks off, and (crucially) can cross a ball. Neither player should really be anywhere near an Everton starting XI when times are good, but when we're shit and/or skint then we just have to think about maximising what we have.

I think McNeil can cross a ball better than Kilbane could. Where Kilbane was better (for us anyway) was that he performed at his highest (still moderate) level more consistently. When McNeil is bad, he's terrible. What I really like about him is that he comes in for stick, and must know when he's having a shocker, but he doesn't hide. In the shit we're in, we need brave players.

So today, after a rare but crucial win, I'm still seeing Blues on Twitter slagging him and demanding he is replaced by Gray. I find this odd - Dyche knows McNeil well, and although I'm higher than most on Gray purely as a footballer, the question is whether we can rely on him to keep his head up when things aren't going well. I'm not convinced we can, and I remain of the opinion that we might benefit more from Gray having an impact from the bench when we need him. Liverpool are getting themselves out of the shit largely by banging balls 50 yards up the pitch for Salah to latch on to and terrorise the defenders with. When needed, we could try a Lidl version of that tactic with Gray.

In summary, I was OK with the McNeil signing at the time. Ability-wise he's worse than I thought he'd be. But I think he has a big heart and he has an attribute - his crossing ability - that we will be relying on for the rest of the season far more than some Blues appear to realise. So I hope he hasn't become a boo-boy at GP, because we can't afford to shoot ourselves in the foot like that. No footballer ever improved because some fat lad in Lower Bullens told him he was shite.

If your reaction to this post is "it's Dwight fucking McNeil, he's terrible, I don't want him in the team" then I do get it, honestly. But we are where we are. Unless he's injured, he's starting, and if we stay up then it could well be thanks in large part to what McNeil does for us, crazy though that may seem as a concept at times.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sun 19 Feb 2023, 3:09 pm

I think he's bloody awful.. a terrible signing.... but his game yesterday wasn't bad at all.

If Dyche is happy to use him then who the fuck are we to say otherwise ?... when he's shit take him off early... 55 minutes or so & put on Gray.

I'm gonna take some convincing that he's anything but, well. a bit shit... however if he fits a piece of Dyche's jigsaw then do it... play the useless twat

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sun 19 Feb 2023, 3:32 pm

Kilbane is a good comparison. What managers would describe as "keeping shape."
Keeps the opposition's FB in check.
His running style reminds me of someone in our history. At first I thought Alex "Chico" Scott, but he usually looked like he was falling down stairs and his legs were trying to catch up with his body.
So then I got it. Derek Temple.
Where does Gray fit in> Iwobi's slot? Iwobi is pretty much another Dwight, with more speed than he thinks he has.
It just seems to be a waste of our speediest asset.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum