606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everton v Boreham Wood (FA Cup)

+5
Knight of Thorgothshire
Made 4 Gwladys
Rotterdam 1985
Armchair
Super
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Everton v Boreham Wood (FA Cup) Empty Everton v Boreham Wood (FA Cup)

Post  Super Thu 03 Mar 2022, 11:03 am

Defender Vitaliy Mykolenko is in the right frame of mind to start Everton's FA Cup tie against Boreham Wood after the Russian invasion of his native Ukraine, boss Frank Lampard says. Mykolenko will start Thursday's match. Dominic Calvert-Lewin remains out injured, while January signings Dele Alli, Donny van de Beek and Anwar El Ghazi are cup-tied.

Lampard said: "Mykolenko will play. That was a decision I made regardless of the outside situation - purely on a football decision. "Of course, you have to be very aware of the life decision for him. "We'll see about any kind of gesture but the fact is he's starting the game." Mykolenko left his native Ukraine in January when he signed for Everton from Dynamo Kyiv. Lampard said: "It feels like the training and potential of playing is a relief. We're giving him all the support and I'm sure he feels that from our end. "He's also a new player here. There are so many things that have happened to him - he's a young man coming over here, moving to a new country, different city, different football club and he's now having to contend with all of this. "He has all of our support."

Boreham Wood hope captain Mark Ricketts and Kane Smith will be available to play some part after injury. Defender Jamal Fyfield is less likely to feature after a hamstring injury.

Super
Super

Number of posts : 38118
Registration date : 2005-12-06

Back to top Go down

Everton v Boreham Wood (FA Cup) Empty Re: Everton v Boreham Wood (FA Cup)

Post  Armchair Thu 03 Mar 2022, 1:30 pm

There could be an upset I reckon. Either that, or Borehamwood will win.

Live on ITV.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22566
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 03 Mar 2022, 3:53 pm

Armchair wrote:There could be an upset I reckon. Either that, or Borehamwood will win.

Live on ITV.

1-1, 6-5 on pens to the mighty Blues who go marching on to their inevitable QF defeat in extra time at Middlesbrough.

Some carthorse 37-year-old centre back called Steve, who to the delight of the commentator spends some of his week having to buy things from Screwfix and Selco, will blaze his pen over the bar. And the Everton players will half-mob Pickford in that slightly awkward way when, midway through their celebratory sprint, it dawns on them that their keeper actually didn't do anything to deserve the mobbing, but by then they're committed to the sprint and the mob. A phenomenon last seen with Kelleher and the Shite at the weekend.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14879
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Thu 03 Mar 2022, 5:00 pm

0-0 extra time, penalty win... injuries to Richie, Allan, Doucoure, Gray, Townsend, Keane, Holgate & Pickford.... but Rondon & Iwobi come through fine

Those left walking are fatigued for the Spuds game

Draw the shite at Analfield in the next round.

boooo Very Happy

Number of posts : 41069
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Thu 03 Mar 2022, 7:34 pm

COYB

Everton v Boreham Wood (FA Cup) Captur84

Number of posts : 41069

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 03 Mar 2022, 7:58 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:COYB

Everton v Boreham Wood (FA Cup) Captur84

Mmm. Not enough full backs in that team for my liking. I'd have played Coleman as well. Up front instead of Rondon.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Thu 03 Mar 2022, 8:08 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:Mmm. Not enough full backs in that team for my liking. I'd have played Coleman as well. Up front instead of Rondon.

Isn't it interesting though that Rondon was a "given" starter under Rafa and hasn't featured since his departure. It really does make one wonder if it was Agent Rafa who was in charge.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74444

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Thu 03 Mar 2022, 8:49 pm

Martinez would have creamed his pants.

16 mins

Everton 0-0 Boreham Wood

Everton have had 86% possession so far.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74444

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Thu 03 Mar 2022, 8:57 pm

This is a thriller.
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Thu 03 Mar 2022, 9:05 pm

HT. I won't bother with the second half.
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Thu 03 Mar 2022, 9:11 pm

Piss poor. Hopefully my stream dies in the second half.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4518
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 03 Mar 2022, 9:36 pm

Fuckin SALOMON!!
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15997
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 03 Mar 2022, 9:37 pm

Pure glory hunter, me.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 03 Mar 2022, 9:43 pm

Change of shape has really helped, we’re getting wider and moving the ball a lot quicker. Still need 4 goals before I’ll start to relax.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 03 Mar 2022, 10:13 pm

I never expected 5-0. A win without any drama. That'll do me.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 03 Mar 2022, 10:28 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:I never expected 5-0. A win without any drama. That'll do me.

Aye, they defended well but, they never even vaguely looked like scoring. Solid win with a much-changed side.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 03 Mar 2022, 10:48 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:I never expected 5-0. A win without any drama. That'll do me.

Aye, they defended well but, they never even vaguely looked like scoring. Solid win with a much-changed side.

It was an odd game in that regard in that I expected some real goalmouth scares from a non-league team with nothing to lose. You know what we can be like. Instead, they seemed to set up not to get battered, which is fair enough. Also, although we weren't great on the ball at times, we dominated them in terms of winning the ball back quickly, all game.

Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Fri 04 Mar 2022, 1:54 pm

A comment on Mykolenko. And despite the circumstances and all the emotion before the game, this is primarily a football comment.

I know it was Boreham Wood, not City, and he wasn't put under any significant pressure defensively. But on the ball, it was the first time since we signed him that I thought to myself "actually he looks alright." He wasn't tripping over it, didn't look as uncomfortable in possession as he has done previously. His passing looked better.

I think it's easier for some players than others to settle down and play at their best straight away. Could be down to an overnight change of scenery/culture, could be down to language difficulties, what position they play, etc. So van de Beek, who is clearly a very good player anyway, had an advantage over Mykolenko in all three of those areas (I'm presuming that, being Dutch, he speaks better English than me, and he was already in the north-west of England when we signed him.)

The third point I mentioned, the position the player occupies, is also key, I think. Goalkeepers can fuck themselves up quickly if they make some errors in their first few games for a new club. Anyone remember Massimo Taibi? United signed him about 20 years back, he made a couple of howlers, only lasted four games, Ferguson got rid straight away. He went back to Italy and played (1st choice) in Serie A for the rest of his career. An extreme example, perhaps, but the perception of shiteness lingers long for keepers - de Gea, for example, made a bad start at United, couldn't deal with corners. Ferguson was more patient with him, and he improved.

Strikers too, to an extent. However well they play, they'll always judged by the number of goals they score (with the odd exception, for good reasons, such as Sheringham.) Another United example springs to mind - Diego Forlan, from around the same time. Really good player, he lasted two seasons at United. I remember his general play was sound, but he just didn't score enough goals, and in Ferguson's 4-4-2, the strikers had to score. So off Forlan went to Spain, where he banged in loads of goals for several seasons. He scored against us, of course, in the Collina game.

Anyway, I would suggest that defenders are a little bit more exposed to what I'd call "bad first impressions" than midfielders are. If midfielders run around a lot, give 100% and put a couple of tackles in, they can quickly win a crowd over. I think Blues generally have fond memories of Kilbane, for example, a limited footballer who played his heart out every game. Whereas a full-back is that bit more exposed, because of the 1-on-1 nature of what they sometimes have to do. Get skinned a couple of times by a tricky winger in your first couple of games and the consequences can be more serious than a CM losing a couple of 50/50 tackles or playing a few overhit passes.

To be clear, I did think Mykolenko was worryingly bad in his first few games, both defensively and in possession. I'm just saying, it's probably something we're all guilty of sometimes, judging players too soon and not taking into account their need to just settle in, and remembering that different players require different settling-in periods due to different circumstances, advantages and disadvantages. I thought Carsley was shit when we first signed him. I thought DCL was a Championship player at best when he first broke into the team. What made it worse for Mykolenko is that he was brought in to replace one of our better players, who most of us didn't want to see leave. Clearly Mykolenko is no Digne, he's no Baines, and he may well end up being a dud for us.  But we shouldn't write him off too soon. He's 22 and an established international, and it's not his fault that he's being asked to take over from a really good player during a relegation battle.

Final point - the Ukraine tragedy didn't just happen overnight. Putin had been sable-rattling for a good year before the invasion. We signed Mykolenko in January, round about the time when Russia was starting to pull its embassy staff out of Kyiv and already had 100,000 troops on the border. For all I know this may have had little effect on Mykolenko. But it's been a long time since we in the UK had to face the prospect of invasion; even those low-level Cold War nuclear fears of my childhood are basically a lifetime ago. Who are we to know where his head has been at, since we signed him?
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Fri 04 Mar 2022, 2:13 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:A comment on Mykolenko. And despite the circumstances and all the emotion before the game, this is primarily a football comment.

I know it was Boreham Wood, not City, and he wasn't put under any significant pressure defensively. But on the ball, it was the first time since we signed him that I thought to myself "actually he looks alright." He wasn't tripping over it, didn't look as uncomfortable in possession as he has done previously. His passing looked better.

I think it's easier for some players than others to settle down and play at their best straight away. Could be down to an overnight change of scenery/culture, could be down to language difficulties, what position they play, etc. So van de Beek, who is clearly a very good player anyway, had an advantage over Mykolenko in all three of those areas (I'm presuming that, being Dutch, he speaks better English than me, and he was already in the north-west of England when we signed him.)

The third point I mentioned, the position the player occupies, is also key, I think. Goalkeepers can fuck themselves up quickly if they make some errors in their first few games for a new club. Anyone remember Massimo Taibi? United signed him about 20 years back, he made a couple of howlers, only lasted four games, Ferguson got rid straight away. He went back to Italy and played (1st choice) in Serie A for the rest of his career. An extreme example, perhaps, but the perception of shiteness lingers long for keepers - de Gea, for example, made a bad start at United, couldn't deal with corners. Ferguson was more patient with him, and he improved.

Strikers too, to an extent. However well they play, they'll always judged by the number of goals they score (with the odd exception, for good reasons, such as Sheringham.) Another United example springs to mind - Diego Forlan, from around the same time. Really good player, he lasted two seasons at United. I remember his general play was sound, but he just didn't score enough goals, and in Ferguson's 4-4-2, the strikers had to score. So off Forlan went to Spain, where he banged in loads of goals for several seasons. He scored against us, of course, in the Collina game.

Anyway, I would suggest that defenders are a little bit more exposed to what I'd call "bad first impressions" than midfielders are. If midfielders run around a lot, give 100% and put a couple of tackles in, they can quickly win a crowd over. I think Blues generally have fond memories of Kilbane, for example, a limited footballer who played his heart out every game. Whereas a full-back is that bit more exposed, because of the 1-on-1 nature of what they sometimes have to do. Get skinned a couple of times by a tricky winger in your first couple of games and the consequences can be more serious than a CM losing a couple of 50/50 tackles or playing a few overhit passes.

To be clear, I did think Mykolenko was worryingly bad in his first few games, both defensively and in possession. I'm just saying, it's probably something we're all guilty of sometimes, judging players too soon and not taking into account their need to just settle in, and remembering that different players require different settling-in periods due to different circumstances, advantages and disadvantages. I thought Carsley was shit when we first signed him. I thought DCL was a Championship player at best when he first broke into the team. What made it worse for Mykolenko is that he was brought in to replace one of our better players, who most of us didn't want to see leave. Clearly Mykolenko is no Digne, he's no Baines, and he may well end up being a dud for us.  But we shouldn't write him off too soon. He's 22 and an established international, and it's not his fault that he's being asked to take over from a really good player during a relegation battle.

Final point - the Ukraine tragedy didn't just happen overnight. Putin had been sable-rattling for a good year before the invasion. We signed Mykolenko in January, round about the time when Russia was starting to pull its embassy staff out of Kyiv and already had 100,000 troops on the border. For all I know this may have had little effect on Mykolenko. But it's been a long time since we in the UK had to face the prospect of invasion; even those low-level Cold War nuclear fears of my childhood are basically a lifetime ago. Who are we to know where his head has been at, since we signed him?

Fuck me Rotts, eight paragraphs to say that Mykolenko is bang average? It's like the old days on here cheers
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25890

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Fri 04 Mar 2022, 2:57 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:A comment on Mykolenko. And despite the circumstances and all the emotion before the game, this is primarily a football comment.

Fuck me Rotts, eight paragraphs to say that Mykolenko is bang average?  It's like the old days on here cheers

Inspired by the return of Tonts and Gazbow. Very Happy  Let's roll this back to 2005...

That's not what I'm saying though. A lot of comments on here have been that Mykolenko isn't/won't be good enough. I'm saying we don't know what he'll turn out as, it's too soon.

Having said all that, I also claimed that Salah and van Dijk were wastes of money when the Shite signed them. So I wouldn't pay any attention to anything I ever say - as you know, it's just rambling bollocks. I'm just looking for something to do on a day off work while I wait for the rain to stop before I can take the dog out. He doesn't like rain, the big wuss.

Shane Warne has died. Bloody hell.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Fri 04 Mar 2022, 3:55 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

Fuck me Rotts, eight paragraphs to say that Mykolenko is bang average?  It's like the old days on here cheers

Inspired by the return of Tonts and Gazbow. Very Happy  Let's roll this back to 2005...

That's not what I'm saying though. A lot of comments on here have been that Mykolenko isn't/won't be good enough. I'm saying we don't know what he'll turn out as, it's too soon.

Having said all that, I also claimed that Salah and van Dijk were wastes of money when the Shite signed them. So I wouldn't pay any attention to anything I ever say - as you know, it's just rambling bollocks. I'm just looking for something to do on a day off work while I wait for the rain to stop before I can take the dog out. He doesn't like rain, the big wuss.

Oh that's alright then - eight paragraphs to say that we don't know whether or not Mykolenko is bang average.

52. That's all Shane Warne was. When I was 52 I was still trying to work out what to do with my life. Still am actually. Mind you, I hadn't shagged Liz Hurley when I was 52, I had to wait a few years for that.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Fri 04 Mar 2022, 4:22 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

Oh that's alright then - eight paragraphs to say that we don't know whether or not Mykolenko is bang average.  

52.  That's all Shane Warne was.  When I was 52 I was still trying to work out what to do with my life.  Still am actually.  Mind you, I hadn't shagged Liz Hurley when I was 52, I had to wait a few years for that.

Yes, that's more accurate, thank you for correcting the record. This is why I should ghost-write your book hairy. I could get it spread over three volumes, you'll rake it in.

Thinking about it, I think my wordiness would have lent itself to music writing quite well, if I could have been arsed (and lived in London. And been Oxbridge-educated.) Two whole pages dedicated to why Change Giver by Shed Seven is "alright, I suppose." I'm reading England's Dreaming at the moment, Jon Savage's punk epic. It's really good, but also really long. Only Jon Savage, and me, could possibly think that the central supporting pillar in Viv and Malc's shop would be worthy of comment.

I'm 52 now. Still trying to work out what to do with my life but such news makes me want to fuck off to Greece tomorrow.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Judge Fri 04 Mar 2022, 4:49 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

52.  That's all Shane Warne was.  When I was 52 I was still trying to work out what to do with my life.  Still am actually.  Mind you, I hadn't shagged Liz Hurley when I was 52, I had to wait a few years for that.
Rodney  Marsh, gone 75
Shane Warne gone 52

mind you Boycott is still around having not scored for a few days now

Last edited by Da Judge on Fri 04 Mar 2022, 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

The man who is prepared to wear a Shoite top IF, AND ONLY IF, you are prepared to cough the £25,000. Its true it was broadcast on National Radio!!
Da Judge
Da Judge

Number of posts : 9794

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Fri 04 Mar 2022, 5:05 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

Yes, that's more accurate, thank you for correcting the record. This is why I should ghost-write your book hairy. I could get it spread over three volumes, you'll rake it in.

Thinking about it, I think my wordiness would have lent itself to music writing quite well, if I could have been arsed (and lived in London. And been Oxbridge-educated.) Two whole pages dedicated to why Change Giver by Shed Seven is "alright, I suppose." I'm reading England's Dreaming at the moment, Jon Savage's punk epic. It's really good, but also really long. Only Jon Savage, and me, could possibly think that the central supporting pillar in Viv and Malc's shop would be worthy of comment.

I'm 52 now. Still trying to work out what to do with my life but such news makes me want to fuck off to Greece tomorrow.

I started reading Paul Morley's biography of Tony Wilson the other week. Hundreds and hundreds of pages, mostly dedicated to Paul Morley talking about why Paul Morley was the right choice to author Paul Morley's biography of Tony Wilson and how Paul Morley kept having to restart it because... I haven't got to the reasons because I'm only up to page 367.  You could deffo have written that one Rotts.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Fri 04 Mar 2022, 5:31 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

I started reading Paul Morley's biography of Tony Wilson the other week. Hundreds and hundreds of pages, mostly dedicated to Paul Morley talking about why Paul Morley was the right choice to author Paul Morley's biography of Tony Wilson and how Paul Morley kept having to restart it because... I haven't got to the reasons because I'm only up to page 367.  You could deffo have written that one Rotts.

I've always quite liked listening to Paul Morley when he's talking, but I can't read him. His Bowie book in particular was a grind, I'm not sure I even finished it.

Anyway we've deviated from Everton v Boreham Wood somewhat.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next