606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Norwich v Everton

+7
Gravy&Chips2
Knight of Thorgothshire
callmebubbles
Blue gazza
Made 4 Gwladys
Rotterdam 1985
Armchair
11 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Norwich v Everton - Page 4 Empty Re: Norwich v Everton

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sun 16 Jan 2022, 9:05 am

SEFTON wrote:Many news outlets reporting Benitez agrees to leave Everton, just a matter of negotiating compensation.decision made but Everton won’t announce until Monday .
Early runners with their hat thrown into the ring ex-West Ham and West Brom manager Slavern Bilic who has just finished working in China affraid  Rumours Big Dunc to take the reigns until new manager found.^
Given who is available Bilic seems a great option... if they keep the contract short & make him properly earn any extension. Duncan is the obvious stop gap manager till this happens.

Benitez is the worst manager we have ever had .... FACT !

Number of posts : 41048
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sun 16 Jan 2022, 11:53 am

With Rafa, the Liverpool connection is an irrelevant side-story. If Klopp and Salah decided that they wanted to be at Goodison, we wouldn't say no, so dredging up Rafa's past is pretty juvenile imo. We seem to be on a downward trajectory at the moment, so the question has to simply be about whether Rafa is capable of turning the season around, not his past at Liverpool or any other club. I honestly don't know. It's easy to criticise him for playing 4 in midfield, but if he plays 5 and one up front, he's criticised for being too negative. (Obviously it would help if one of our two strikers wasn't Rondon.) At times over the past few months, we've played ok. The problem is it usually comes when we are a goal or two down, by which point it is often too late. I guess that is partially Rafa's fault, although there have been a lot of individual errors - which I assume Rafa isn't asking them to do. That said, how many goals do we need to concede from set pieces before someone gets a grip? Perhaps it just boils down to the mood in the dressing room; if the players aren't listening to Rafa, there is no salvaging the situation.

I don't envy the board. They've made some decisions over the last 5-10 years that (in hindsight) weren't the right ones, but still, they obviously want what's best for the club. Sack Rafa, and they will be criticised for constant chopping and changing (especially having just backed Rafa in the transfer market - so the next manager gets a load of players he doesn't want, which we've all rightly been very critical of), even if we do stay up. Keep him on and they'll be accused of inaction, and the already-toxic atmosphere at the club will get worse, especially if we go down (which I think we need to consider as a real possibility).

So yeah... dunno. Dunc for the rest of the season? At least we'd go down fighting. Or give Rafa another couple of games now he has a full strength team at his disposal? The problem is, we're in the middle of an 'easy' run of games; if we get to the end of that run without some points, we're properly in the shit. And it's nailed on that Villa will beat us (Gerrard hattrick).
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22555
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sun 16 Jan 2022, 12:22 pm

Armchair wrote:With Rafa, the Liverpool connection is an irrelevant side-story. If Klopp and Salah decided that they wanted to be at Goodison, we wouldn't say no, so dredging up Rafa's past is pretty juvenile imo. We seem to be on a downward trajectory at the moment, so the question has to simply be about whether Rafa is capable of turning the season around, not his past at Liverpool or any other club. I honestly don't know. It's easy to criticise him for playing 4 in midfield, but if he plays 5 and one up front, he's criticised for being too negative. (Obviously it would help if one of our two strikers wasn't Rondon.) At times over the past few months, we've played ok. The problem is it usually comes when we are a goal or two down, by which point it is often too late. I guess that is partially Rafa's fault, although there have been a lot of individual errors - which I assume Rafa isn't asking them to do. That said, how many goals do we need to concede from set pieces before someone gets a grip? Perhaps it just boils down to the mood in the dressing room; if the players aren't listening to Rafa, there is no salvaging the situation.

I don't envy the board. They've made some decisions over the last 5-10 years that (in hindsight) weren't the right ones, but still, they obviously want what's best for the club. Sack Rafa, and they will be criticised for constant chopping and changing (especially having just backed Rafa in the transfer market - so the next manager gets a load of players he doesn't want, which we've all rightly been very critical of), even if we do stay up. Keep him on and they'll be accused of inaction, and the already-toxic atmosphere at the club will get worse, especially if we go down (which I think we need to consider as a real possibility).

So yeah... dunno. Dunc for the rest of the season? At least we'd go down fighting. Or give Rafa another couple of games now he has a full strength team at his disposal? The problem is, we're in the middle of an 'easy' run of games; if we get to the end of that run without some points, we're properly in the shit. And it's nailed on that Villa will beat us (Gerrard hattrick).

Yeah, good post, especially in relation to his Red past. When I think about this, I agree with much of what you say. But my gut feeling is that I cannot visualise him taking charge for another game.

We are trapped to an extent by the sheer number of horrible decisions taken by the board in recent years. Even in Rafa's brief spell, we've seen the DoF go, a further reorganisation of the Board as a result, and a falling out with one of our better players causing him to be sold.

We've talked about this, at length. This is what happens when the DoF concept isn't implemented properly and the keys are handed over to the manager, the most vulnerable employee of any club, for whom six weeks' worth of bad results could see him binned off himself. It's crazy.

But that's all structural stuff, it takes time to fix all that even if the will to fix it is there under this regime. What matters is now, and I have that sinking feeling, similar to 94, 98 and 2002. I think he's taking us down (appreciate that we didn't go down in any of those seasons but the sick feeling in my stomach is the same.) On the flip side I've seen many "legends" take over the club they love in a temporary capacity, get an immediate bounce thanks to their passion, effort, commitment etc, but then been found wanting when that initial wave of emotion-fuelled fight dies away and they have to come up with a plan B.

So there is risk in Dunc taking over for the rest of the season as well. At the moment I'm thinking it's the best of the two options because he'll get the crowd onside, and that could make a big difference. If we're going down, do it while collectively having a go rather than while being riven with division. The problem with that plan is that if Dunc loses at home to, say, Burnley, or gets twatted 6-0 by the Shite, we'll turn against him anyway.

So we're back to the days of the late 90's/early 00's. An absolute mess, getting by from season to season without any obvious sign that things are going to get better at any time soon. The root cause back then was a lack of finance; the cause now is directionless leadership. Depressing. I have my ideas on how the club should be structured for long-term benefit but I'll admit, I genuinely don't know what the short-term solution for this season is, because it isn't just a question of sacking Rafa, it's also what do we do then? Who do we replace him with?

I'm willing to take that risk though. There's a stench around the club at the moment that needs to be cleaned. And there are four really shit teams at the bottom of the table - the points we get from a Big Dunc bounce might be enough to keep our heads above water. For this season at least.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14848
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sun 16 Jan 2022, 12:34 pm

He has to go... not because of his shite links, but because he's bloody awful !

If we retain him & carry on the same old same old we won;t get points from our next series of games... against

Ville, Brentford, Barcodes, Leeds & Saints... before the big boys line up to hammer us, starting with City & Spuds

I agree with Rotts... I'd rather see Dunc fight like fuck & give us a chance, rather than the same old crap & awful excuses week after week, game after game

I meant to say... I don't understand why the Board, with Rafa on the brink (which he must have been) allowed the sale of Digne... the signing of 3 no marks can be forgiven given his history with Gray & Townend (definitely not Rondon)... but the sale of Digne (our player of the year 2019 & players player 2019) is just fucking silly

Number of posts : 41048

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Sun 16 Jan 2022, 1:51 pm

I’ve given this a lot of thought, but I’ve tried to distil my complex ruminations into three words:

We are doomed
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25881

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sun 16 Jan 2022, 2:22 pm

We need 6 emotional games, and that would point to Big Dunc.
The "Get out of our club" banners etc just add to the toxicity, that must come across to the players.
Look what it did to Bruce at Newcastle. There is no getting away from that.
Dunc has full knowledge of every player on the books. He may be the guy that the players get behind, emotionally and tactically, and damned if they don't.
Then in the summer, Big Mosh needs to do exactly what has been said before, give the keys to the people who he can trust.
I feel for Seamus, who just keeps trying too hard and messing up.
Are we looking at the loss of Allan as well as Digne?
It needs someone to barge through the saloon doors and yell "Telegram for Mongo!"
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Sun 16 Jan 2022, 8:14 pm

Put Dunc in temporary charge and see how it goes. I've no issue with it being for the season if there are no other suitable candidates, which seems likely.

Dunc will certainly get the players to show some pride. I also think it's unfair to assume that he will be a tactical dinosaur. He's served a lengthy apprenticeship under a host of different managers. He's certainly had chance to learn what doesn't work. Basically I'm saying he deserves a proper chance.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4518
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4