606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

30 - Conor Coady - he's a blue

+6
hairy cataract
Made 4 Gwladys
Rotterdam 1985
Goodison_Gringo
Yankthattoffee
Armchair
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

30 - Conor Coady - he's a blue - Page 3 Empty Re: 30 - Conor Coady - he's a blue

Post  hairy cataract Wed 31 May - 10:35

Depends on his wages I suppose. Dyche was a bit weird about his central defenders, keeping our best one Mina on the bench when he was fully fit, and dumping Coady but consistently playing Keane. Tarks has played every minute this season hasn't he? I'd guess there's room for Coady, with Mina going and Keane being a bit shit. Holgate is fucking awful too, so he's a no no. Branthwaite? Will Dyche want to buy a new central defender in the summer?

So it's a qualified yes from me I suppose.

hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25881
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

30 - Conor Coady - he's a blue - Page 3 Empty Re: 30 - Conor Coady - he's a blue

Post  Yankthattoffee Wed 31 May - 11:55

Looks like a back 3 is his forte.
Dyche has reservations about him in a back 4.
Deffo buy. Good attitude and he "gets the club."
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 1 Jun - 9:52

Hot off the press....looks like it's bye bye Coady.

Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14846
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 1 Jun - 9:56

This is a concern for me, not specifically in relation to the player - I could argue the positives and negatives of keeping Coady at Everton and it would probably come out a draw - but in relation to our funds.

Whatever his flaws, he would have been a relatively cheap squaddie in transfer fee terms, and is clearly an excellent dressing room presence. So unless Dyche simply doesn't fancy him because of his relative weakness in a back four, the only other issue I can see here is that his wages would have been too high, and that we need to make savings in that regard. That makes me queasy, if that's the level of penny-pinching we are faced with this summer.

That's all speculation though. I'm not criticising the decision as I'm not on the inside and genuinely don't know the reasons/motives for making this call.

Overall I'm leaning a touch negatively on this one as it makes the retention of Keane and/or Holgate that bit more likely.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 1 Jun - 9:57

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:This is a concern for me, not specifically in relation to the player - I could argue the positives and negatives of keeping Coady at Everton and it would probably come out a draw - but in relation to our funds.

Whatever his flaws, he would have been a relatively cheap squaddie in transfer fee terms, and is clearly an excellent dressing room presence. So unless Dyche simply doesn't fancy him because of his relative weakness in a back four, the only other issue I can see here is that his wages would have been too high, and that we need to make savings in that regard. That makes me queasy, if that's the level of penny-pinching we are faced with this summer.

That's all speculation though. I'm not criticising the decision as I'm not on the inside and genuinely don't know the reasons/motives for making this call.

Overall I'm leaning a touch negatively on this one as it makes the retention of Keane and/or Holgate that bit more likely.

On the plus side, of course, this may mean that Dyche likes what he sees in the returning Branthwaite.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 1 Jun - 11:04

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/65775147

On the beeb now. Seems silly for a relatively small sum in football terms. Possible reasons in decsending order from best to worse:

We have another excellent centre half lined up.
Dyche doesn't rate him.
We can't afford his wages.
The FFP stuff is really bad and we can't afford to spend a penny on anyone.
Holgate is preferred.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15996
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Thu 1 Jun - 11:07

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:This is a concern for me, not specifically in relation to the player - I could argue the positives and negatives of keeping Coady at Everton and it would probably come out a draw - but in relation to our funds.

On the plus side, of course, this may mean that Dyche likes what he sees in the returning Branthwaite.

Yes, my first thoughts were that we couldn't afford his wages. So we end up keeping Holgate, on eighty grand a week or whatever, because he'd rather sit on the bench chewing gum on high wages than play football on lower wages. It's beyond me the way these players would rather earn than play. I mean, I love money as much as the next man, but it's a bit like Noel Gallagher being asked to join Oasis and saying "nah I'm earning £100 quid a week as a roadie for the Inspiral Carpets, why would I want to play in a band for less?".

I'd like to think that's one of the most stretched analogies ever seen on here. Thank you.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 1 Jun - 12:42

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Yes, my first thoughts were that we couldn't afford his wages.  So we end up keeping Holgate, on eighty grand a week or whatever, because he'd rather sit on the bench chewing gum on high wages than play football on lower wages.  It's beyond me the way these players would rather earn than play.  I mean, I love money as much as the next man, but it's a bit like Noel Gallagher being asked to join Oasis and saying "nah I'm earning £100 quid a week as a roadie for the Inspiral Carpets, why would I want to play in a band for less?".

I'd like to think that's one of the most stretched analogies ever seen on here. Thank you.

I like the analogy, if only because it outlines in reverse what's about to happen to the career of that Royal Blood fella.

Your well-presented argument doesn't change my opinion, however, that the best single job in football is reserve goalkeeper for Monaco. You get to live on the French Riviera earning plenty of tax-free money, and only have to stretch yourself whenever Ligue Quatre side Olympique Saint-Garlic come to town for a cup massacring, during which you'll barely see the ball anyway. If that's me, and Barnsley come a-knockin' with the promise of regular first-team football, I would be sat outside some seaside bar pondering it for all of about 5 seconds before I text back "non, merci" and order another daquiri.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Thu 1 Jun - 12:47

shame.. I really liked him ... but as said by others this is the time for the Branthwaite era now

Number of posts : 41047

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 1 Jun - 12:52

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:shame.. I really liked him ... but as said by others this is the time for the Branthwaite era now

Branthwaite season, yeah.

Has there ever been a 20-year-old with only a handful of Everton appearances carrying as much hope and expectation on his shoulders as this poor fucker? I'm thinking Rooney, except he was gone before he was 20.

I fear for him. At the same time, he'd better be fucking good, the cunt.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Thu 1 Jun - 13:08

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:shame.. I really liked him ... but as said by others this is the time for the Branthwaite era now

Has there ever been a 20-year-old with only a handful of Everton appearances carrying as much hope and expectation on his shoulders as this poor fucker? I'm thinking Rooney, except he was gone before he was 20.

Rodwell ?.... Barkley ???...

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 1 Jun - 13:21

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

We never had the same desperation and absolute need for Rodwell or Barkley to be good though. Rodwell is a decent shout because, if memory serves, we were pretty shit when he emerged, and he was our great hope for about two weeks till he got his first injury. Barkley came through when we were decent and respectable.

But Branthwaite is all that currently stands in the way of a season of Keane/Holgate/Godfrey at CB. That's pretty serious.

For the record, I still haven't entirely given up on Godfrey. I still think there is a player in there somewhere, albeit as a useful, fast, versatile squaddie. I really want Keane and Holgate gone though.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Thu 1 Jun - 13:46

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

We never had the same desperation and absolute need for Rodwell or Barkley to be good though. Rodwell is a decent shout because, if memory serves, we were pretty shit when he emerged, and he was our great hope for about two weeks till he got his first injury. Barkley came through when we were decent and respectable.

But Branthwaite is all that currently stands in the way of a season of Keane/Holgate/Godfrey at CB. That's pretty serious.

For the record, I still haven't entirely given up on Godfrey. I still think there is a player in there somewhere, albeit as a useful, fast, versatile squaddie. I really want Keane and Holgate gone though.

I remember seeing Rodwell play and straight away thought "this is a proper player", you know, like you do when someone clearly has more ability than the average kid coming into the team? I saw Branthwaite play and thought "this lad is at least Championship level". That's not to say that he won't make it, just that he didn't look extraordinary. As a centre back, I think you either need to be about 25 or extraordinary to survive in the PL.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 1 Jun - 13:51

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

I remember seeing Rodwell play and straight away thought "this is a proper player", you know, like you do when someone clearly has more ability than the average kid coming into the team?  I saw Branthwaite play and thought "this lad is at least Championship level".  That's not to say that he won't make it, just that he didn't look extraordinary.  As a centre back, I think you either need to be about 25 or extraordinary to survive in the PL.

Yeah that Croatian lad, Gvardiol, unquestionably elite at the age of 19. That's incredibly rare with CBs.

This is why I worry for Branthwaite. An entire, desperate fanbase is expectantly awaiting his return as the reincarnation of Brian Labone. There is every possibility that this all ends in tears and we bring Ashley Williams back on a short-term deal in March.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Thu 1 Jun - 13:53

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

I remember seeing Rodwell play and straight away thought "this is a proper player", you know, like you do when someone clearly has more ability than the average kid coming into the team?  I saw Branthwaite play and thought "this lad is at least Championship level".  That's not to say that he won't make it, just that he didn't look extraordinary.  As a centre back, I think you either need to be about 25 or extraordinary to survive in the PL.
I haven't seen Tom Cannon play either, but by all accounts he is the real deal too ... and I haven't given up on Simms yet.

Cannon could be a miracle waiting to solve our striker issues... which are much larger than our defence issues ... IMHO

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Thu 1 Jun - 14:05

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

I haven't seen Tom Cannon play either, but by all accounts he is the real deal too ... and I haven't given up on Simms yet.

Cannon could be a miracle waiting to solve our striker issues... which a much larger than our defence issues ... IMHO

I've been looking at our squad, including the youngsters. I might publish a squad review if I get time to do it.

One thing we do have is a fair few youngsters with burgeoning reputations knocking at the door. I've identified maybe 10 or 11 who might have a chance, based not on what I've seen (I've hardly seen any of them) but what I've read about them and how they've done on loan etc.

Of those 10 or 11, my guess at first glance is that only 1 or 2, tops, is likely to make it as a first team contributor. But that's fine, that's better than nothing. We won't yet know who those 1 or 2 may be. But we just need lads who can contribute, they don't need to be world-beaters or even first team regulars.

I want to do more digging around on this but of those 10 or 11, the five I think might have a shot are Tyrer, the goalkeeper; Cannon; Mills, the winger; and a couple of midfielders, Warrington (who we've seen a bit of) and Tyler Onyango, who went out on loan last season (can't remember where) and got crocked quite early, but did well before that by all accounts. I want to look at more of him because he's a big centre midfielder, 6' 3" and therefore possibly of interest to Dyche.

Outside of Branthwaite (who I consider to be proven to an extent, having started for PSV for a season) I'm not sure we have much else in defence. Reece Welch has been on the bench a fair bit but I'm not sure if that was a case of last man standing, rather than any particular talent. Again, I've not seen enough of him to know.

During the playoffs I've seen a bit of Sunderland, who have a very young team, and Barnsley, who have a policy of only signing players 23 or under. Clubs that have that youth-first policy seem to survive and often thrive. If you think this is a lower league luxury then think also about some of the really good Ajax and Monaco teams from recent years. Maybe we'll be in a position where we have no choice but to give some kids a go. And you never know, there is a small chance it might pay off in some way. But a basic level of ability has to be there, to be developed.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Thu 29 Jun - 14:01

Wolves have accepted a bid of £7.5m plus £1m in add-ons from Leicester for England defender Conor Coady, 30.

Interesting, especially considering that we were offered to buy him for £4.5M if I'm not mistaken.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74433

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 29 Jun - 14:06

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
Wolves have accepted a bid of £7.5m plus £1m in add-ons from Leicester for England defender Conor Coady, 30.

Interesting, especially considering that we were offered to buy him for £4.5M if I'm not mistaken.

Gotta be Dyche's dedication to 442. Coady better in a 3.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15996
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3