606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

11 - Jack Harrison

+4
hairy cataract
Armchair
Made 4 Gwladys
Knight of Thorgothshire
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

11 - Jack Harrison - Page 2 Empty Re: 11 - Jack Harrison

Post  Armchair Wed 16 Aug 2023, 2:50 pm

Good analysis Rotts.

Re Gnonto, I wonder if they are using him as an example that they won't let every player leave who wants to leave, and that they are prepared to pay hardball - both on keeping players or, if they do sell, for the best possible price. Not many other clubs seem to be linked to him, so perhaps they are waiting for a bidding war as clubs get desparate towards the end of the transfer window.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22554
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Wed 16 Aug 2023, 2:59 pm

Armchair wrote:Good analysis Rotts.

Re Gnonto, I wonder if they are using him as an example that they won't let every player leave who wants to leave, and that they are prepared to pay hardball - both on keeping players or, if they do sell, for the best possible price. Not many other clubs seem to be linked to him, so perhaps they are waiting for a bidding war as clubs get desparate towards the end of the transfer window.
The bidding war is that last thing we need.
If they want £25M, I'd say go for it, and let Gray go.
Is anyone interested in Maupay? I can't see any top teir team across Europe wanting him.
Holgate anyone?
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Wed 16 Aug 2023, 4:19 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:

Is anyone interested in Maupay?  I can't see any top teir team across Europe wanting him.
Holgate anyone?

Not good for us, but looking at it from Leeds' point of view I think Armchair is right. There is an air of Daniel Levy about how the new Leeds owners appear to be working. This is all about getting the maximum fee for their player - which is not new or unique to Leeds, of course, but the art here is to hold your nerve for as long as you can. They can afford to hold out for a while as they know other clubs will dive in for him at the end of the window, if their own Plan A's and Plan B's don't materialise.

Gnonto is too good to only have us bidding for him. He may be not seen to be quite good enough by the likes of Spurs right now, if they are pursuing other preferred targets. Remember that this is why so many deals are done late in the window as opposed to, say, June - because clubs have their lists of who they want and only fish around for late, adequate alternatives when they need to. Our only hope is that there is some kind of commitment in his head to join Everton if he sees us as the team trying to get him out of his Championship hell. That doesn't mean shit to the owners though, who will accept whichever bid they want.

More realistically, as you said Yank, our other hope if we're to get him is to do it right now and go big. We'd probably have to weigh in with a significantly more substantial offer in the next day or two and have it accepted before other, "bigger" clubs come sniffing around. If this goes close to deadline day then we've got slim to fuck-all chance, I reckon. And I don't see us bidding too much anyway when we have bigger areas of concern.

Because it is, of course, another striker we need more than anything. With Harrison brought in, Gnonto is a nice-to-have, but a luxury we can do without, compared to a big quick bastard of a striker. I want Beto, basically. In addition, another CB is more important than another winger. And if we were to get both, I certainly think there will be clubs who will take Maupay and Holgate late in the window. I suppose we can't ship them on yet (regardless of how crap we think they are) until we have brought other bodies in.

Maupay does strike me as the sort of little twat who'll go to Luton on loan and bang in 15 goals for them this season. I know we live in a post-truth, disinformation age but I can assure you that I have seen video evidence of him scoring goals for other clubs he's played for.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14843
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Wed 16 Aug 2023, 4:22 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:

Is anyone interested in Maupay?  I can't see any top teir team across Europe wanting him.
Holgate anyone?

Not good for us, but looking at it from Leeds' point of view I think Armchair is right. There is an air of Daniel Levy about how the new Leeds owners appear to be working. This is all about getting the maximum fee for their player - which is not new or unique to Leeds, of course, but the art here is to hold your nerve for as long as you can. They can afford to hold out for a while as they know other clubs will dive in for him at the end of the window, if their own Plan A's and Plan B's don't materialise.

Gnonto is too good to only have us bidding for him. He may be not seen to be quite good enough by the likes of Spurs right now, if they are pursuing other preferred targets. Remember that this is why so many deals are done late in the window as opposed to, say, June - because clubs have their lists of who they want and only fish around for late, adequate alternatives when they need to. Our only hope is that there is some kind of commitment in his head to join Everton if he sees us as the team trying to get him out of his Championship hell. That doesn't mean shit to the owners though, who will accept whichever bid they want.

More realistically, as you said Yank, our other hope if we're to get him is to do it right now and go big. We'd probably have to weigh in with a significantly more substantial offer in the next day or two and have it accepted before other, "bigger" clubs come sniffing around. If this goes close to deadline day then we've got slim to fuck-all chance, I reckon. And I don't see us bidding too much anyway when we have bigger areas of concern.

Because it is, of course, another striker we need more than anything. With Harrison brought in, Gnonto is a nice-to-have, but a luxury we can do without, compared to a big quick bastard of a striker. I want Beto, basically. In addition, another CB is more important than another winger. And if we were to get both, I certainly think there will be clubs who will take Maupay and Holgate late in the window. I suppose we can't ship them on yet (regardless of how crap we think they are) until we have brought other bodies in.

Maupay does strike me as the sort of little twat who'll go to Luton on loan and bang in 15 goals for them this season. I know we live in a post-truth, disinformation age but I can assure you that I have seen video evidence of him scoring goals for other clubs he's played for.

1 in 4 for Brighton wasn't it? 1 in 40 for us pale
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22554
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Wed 16 Aug 2023, 5:34 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:

Holgate anyone?
Spurs will buy Gnonto with the Kane money ... we missed our chance by playing hard ball over a couple of mill ... Evil or Very Mad

Number of posts : 41045
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Fri 20 Oct 2023, 3:59 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/oct/20/jack-harrison-playing-in-new-york-gave-me-a-different-perspective

I think he comes across well in this. Seems like a sound lad. I doubt there are many who would do what he did at 14.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4518
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2