606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Crystal Palace - The Mighty Blues

+5
Blue gazza
Rotterdam 1985
Yankthattoffee
callmebubbles
Knight of Thorgothshire
9 posters

Go down

Crystal Palace - The Mighty Blues Empty Crystal Palace - The Mighty Blues

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 22 Apr 2023, 2:03 pm

Can we get something from this game?

The line-ups must be near....
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74423
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Crystal Palace - The Mighty Blues Empty Re: Crystal Palace - The Mighty Blues

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 22 Apr 2023, 2:03 pm

Speaking of line-ups. DCL starting!

Dominic Calvert-Lewin makes his first Everton start since the beginning of February as the Toffees make two changes to the side that lost at home to Fulham.

Mason Holgate also comes in, with Ben Godfrey and Neal Maupay dropping to the bench.

Everton XI: Pickford, Holgate, Keane, Tarkowski, Mykolenko, Iwobi, Garner, Gueye, McNeil, Gray, Calvert-Lewin.

Subs: Begovic, Lonergan, Patterson, Mina, Maupay, Godfrey, Davies, Coady, Simms.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  callmebubbles Sat 22 Apr 2023, 2:35 pm

Without Nana and Duke, just cant see it. DCL returning is a bonus but by the time he is fit (if that ever happens) we will probably be down. Leeds losing is great news but we need a shitload of luck from somewhere for a Houdini act.
callmebubbles
callmebubbles

Number of posts : 5547
Registration date : 2006-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sat 22 Apr 2023, 2:37 pm

callmebubbles wrote:Without Nana and Duke, just cant see it. DCL returning is a bonus but by the time he is fit (if that ever happens) we will probably be down. Leeds losing is great news but we need a shitload of luck from somewhere for a Houdini act.

I knew as soon as I saw Holgate in the line up, your expectations would be limited.... and we have one midfielder on the bench. One of your favourites.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  callmebubbles Sat 22 Apr 2023, 2:50 pm

Its a dismal looking back 4. No strength in midfield and a forward made of glass. Feels like a confortable Palarse win, 2 or 3 nil. Hopefully Dyche can bring something out in us but my money went on Palarse, especially at 23/20. Need the red cunts and Wolves to do us a favour today.
callmebubbles
callmebubbles

Back to top Go down

Post  callmebubbles Sat 22 Apr 2023, 2:52 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:
callmebubbles wrote:Without Nana and Duke, just cant see it. DCL returning is a bonus but by the time he is fit (if that ever happens) we will probably be down. Leeds losing is great news but we need a shitload of luck from somewhere for a Houdini act.

I knew as soon as I saw Holgate in the line up, your expectations would be limited.... and we have one midfielder on the bench. One of your favourites.

Is McFadden back? Van Der Meyde finally fit?
callmebubbles
callmebubbles

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 22 Apr 2023, 2:55 pm

I'm at the "rocking back and forth uncontrollably in my chair with a vacant inane grimace on my face" stage of the season. Might be a bit of dribble involved later.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14820
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue gazza Sat 22 Apr 2023, 3:09 pm

gonna be a very nervy 1-2 win for us here Very Happy Very Happy
Blue gazza
Blue gazza

Number of posts : 8009

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Sat 22 Apr 2023, 3:53 pm

It's hard to single one particular player out from that first half, but Holgate is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of how fucking terrible he is. He makes Mykolenko look like a decent footballer.

I could cry watching this shit. Jesus.

hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25870

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 22 Apr 2023, 4:40 pm

hairy cataract wrote:It's hard to single one particular player out from that first half, but Holgate is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of how fucking terrible he is.  He makes Mykolenko look like a decent footballer.

I could cry watching this shit.  Jesus.

he's just got worse... red card for Holgate.. Ayew has been ripping him apart

Number of posts : 41029

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lumper Sat 22 Apr 2023, 4:48 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:It's hard to single one particular player out from that first half, but Holgate is head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of how fucking terrible he is.  He makes Mykolenko look like a decent footballer.

I could cry watching this shit.  Jesus.

he's just got worse... red card for Holgate.. Ayew has been ripping him apart

Holgate is a terrible player. Absolutely brainless as well. If we lose we know where to point the finger.
Lumper
Lumper

Number of posts : 6845
Registration date : 2007-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Sat 22 Apr 2023, 5:12 pm

I’ve gone straight from watching us huffing and puffing (mostly puffing) to watching the footballing ballet that is Man City. Holgate would fit seamlessly into the City set up, if they needed a thick, lazy, arrogant tea boy.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  callmebubbles Sat 22 Apr 2023, 5:14 pm

Thank fuck he got sent off. Cant play for 3 games. Oh well a point delays the inevitable. Pretty dismal performance but a point is a point. Back in the bottom 3 and odds are we will not come.out of it again but while theres life.......
callmebubbles
callmebubbles

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Sat 22 Apr 2023, 5:19 pm

callmebubbles wrote:Thank fuck he got sent off. Cant play for 3 games. Oh well a point delays the inevitable. Pretty dismal performance but a point is a point. Back in the bottom 3 and odds are we will not come.out of it again but while theres life.......

Two yellows - he only misses one match, so we are saved…
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 22 Apr 2023, 5:56 pm

We're shit. That doesn't really need repeating, we all know we're shit. If anyone were to suggest that we're shit enough to be mathematically relegated before the final game of the season then they wouldn't get much of an argument from me.

How shit we are isn't what this is about though. It's about scrambling enough points to somehow survive and give the board the opportunity to not spend money in the summer thus putting us through it all again in 12 months' time. It's fair to say that Dyche's honeymoon period is now well and truly over and the stark reality of our shiteness is slapping us in the face again. So it's now all about ugly graft, and luck, till the end of the season.

So with all five teams having played this weekend, my own survival confidence dial has, if anything, ticked marginally, imperceptibly more positive. First of all we didn't expect a point today, but we got one despite having to survive 15 minutes a man down (having already somehow survived 80 minutes with Holgate on the pitch) against a team that I feared would tear us to shreds. We got a clean sheet, which is a good sign if we're going to somehow 1-0 our way to survival. To that end, DCL is back. For how long remains to be seen, but he's pretty important to our 1-0 strategy. And a DCL lacking match fitness is still infinitely preferable to Maupay or Simms.

And the other results were (again marginally) in our favour, or at least weren't hugely damaging like last weekend. Southampton got a point, which is bad, but we ended up relieved they didn't get three. Forest lost, which was to be expected. But I had bad vibes about the Shite today even when that game was 0-0 so I'm very happy Forest lost that one. Leicester's result is of course damaging, but is only a surprise when measured against their current form - it's not objectively a shock result otherwise. The big one was Leeds losing. Having done us over, it's nice that Fulham dealt with Leeds as well. So on balance the other results weren't bad, they were OK.

We can't see where the next win is coming from but it is, more or less, the same team and same manager that got wins against the Arse, Leeds and Brentford. Duke is back for the Newcastle game and I've heard no word on Onana being a long-term crock so I'm optimistic our midfield will be put back together soon enough.

Would be nice to sneak something out of the Newcastle game but the most important game this midweek is Leeds v Leicester, and after today's results, while I still want that one to be a draw, I'd be far more comfortable with Leicester winning that one than Leeds. Anything but a Leeds win.

The agony continues. And our next four games are all live on the box for the nation's delectation. Fantastic. The sporting equivalent of Car Crash TV gets its own weekly series.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Sat 22 Apr 2023, 6:08 pm

Was hoping we’d nick a win here. Palace done enough to survive now so maybe lacking the motivation of their previous games. Dom back was a big plus, clean sheet good as well, missing Doucoure and Onana a lot. Can’t see where the next win is coming from… Who said “the championship”?
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15994
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sat 22 Apr 2023, 8:29 pm

It's quite clear that the midfield 5 which Dyche deployed for his opening 5 or 6 games, is the ONLY line up that has the potential to keep us in the Prem.
Anyone on the bench is simply not good enough to change a game, or fill in at times like these..
Let's hope DCL has come through this test well enough.
Is there a point when this group of players just go "Feck it, I've had enough of this emotional rollercoaster" ?

Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 22 Apr 2023, 8:37 pm

Holgate is a massive liability, but we knew that well before this game. Patterson must be very confused as to why he's not playing even though he's no star either.

A point gained, but we continue to be in massive trouble.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 22 Apr 2023, 8:45 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:It's quite clear that the midfield 5 which Dyche deployed for his opening 5 or 6 games, is the ONLY line up that has the potential to keep us in the Prem.
Anyone on the bench is simply not good enough to change a game, or fill in at times like these..
Is there a point when this group of players just go "Feck it, I've had enough of this emotional rollercoaster" ?

I think this is a really interesting point. I've often thought this when considering players who go down with a club but are good enough to stay in the Prem, so then move on to another team that also struggles against relegation. There are loads of these players. Tarko has only ever really known relegation battles save for Burnley's one or two top half finishes. He must feel crushed. Wouldn't he prefer Celtic or Rangers for a couple of seasons?

So I do wonder how much it gets to them. We want it to be painful for them the way it is for us. I suppose it comes down to how much of a shit they give. So when I watch Leeds, for instance, I see a bunch of players who really are hurt by their position and current form. It's not that they don't give a toss, more that they're not very good. I sort of think (hope) that it's the same for most of our players.

But then Pickford, Onana, one or two others will know that they'll go to another Prem club if they go down. So maybe there is a paradox here, in that those players who are genuinely fighting for their PL futures give more of a toss for that reason alone. So let's put McNeil in that category, and maybe Ayling at Leeds. The paradox being that they try harder for that reason, but only because they're mediocre enough to not be sure they can just move on to another Prem club. I know McNeil did when Burnley went down but I struggle to envisage him doing that again despite his recent improvement.

At the end of the day, they're paid well for the emotional stress. We do it for nothing.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sat 22 Apr 2023, 9:22 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:It's quite clear that the midfield 5 which Dyche deployed for his opening 5 or 6 games, is the ONLY line up that has the potential to keep us in the Prem.

I think this is a really interesting point. I've often thought this when considering players who go down with a club but are good enough to stay in the Prem, so then move on to another team that also struggles against relegation. There are loads of these players. Tarko has only ever really known relegation battles save for Burnley's one or two top half finishes. He must feel crushed. Wouldn't he prefer Celtic or Rangers for a couple of seasons?

So I do wonder how much it gets to them. We want it to be painful for them the way it is for us. I suppose it comes down to how much of a shit they give. So when I watch Leeds, for instance, I see a bunch of players who really are hurt by their position and current form. It's not that they don't give a toss, more that they're not very good. I sort of think (hope) that it's the same for most of our players.

But then Pickford, Onana, one or two others will know that they'll go to another Prem club if they go down. So maybe there is a paradox here, in that those players who are genuinely fighting for their PL futures give more of a toss for that reason alone. So let's put McNeil in that category, and maybe Ayling at Leeds. The paradox being that they try harder for that reason, but only because they're mediocre enough to not be sure they can just move on to another Prem club. I know McNeil did when Burnley went down but I struggle to envisage him doing that again despite his recent improvement.

At the end of the day, they're paid well for the emotional stress. We do it for nothing.
Last season I could see the hurt in our players when we lost, and the wild scenes against Palace when it truly mattered.
Some of the mid season loses looked like it was a deep hurt to the likes of Iwobi, cause he had just turned the fans around.
I guess it's a case of how long can you put yourself trough this?
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down