606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everton vs West Ham

+5
callmebubbles
hairy cataract
Knight of Thorgothshire
Armchair
Rotterdam 1985
9 posters

Go down

Everton vs West Ham Empty Everton vs West Ham

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 17 Sep 2022, 11:32 pm

Moving my daughter into her Uni digs tomorrow, so I'll miss the game.

Into them Blues.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14824
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Everton vs West Ham Empty Re: Everton vs West Ham

Post  Armchair Sun 18 Sep 2022, 4:29 pm

cheers
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22547
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sun 18 Sep 2022, 7:35 pm

This might be the shortest match thread of all time.

I only got to watch the last 30 minutes since I was taking my wife to the airport, but WH were on top for most of the last 30 but we managed to hold on, which was great.

We do look a much more solid side though, especially now with Gana sitting in front of the back four. Onwards and upwards!
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74425
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sun 18 Sep 2022, 9:22 pm

I was shifting stuff from car to attic bedroom all afternoon while trying to stay in touch with the game. Maupay scored just as I was starting to feel knackered, so it gave me a lift to say the least.

Let's not get carried away yet, but i do feel quite positive about all things Everton right now. Makes a pleasant change.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Sun 18 Sep 2022, 10:07 pm

It wasn't the greatest match, but certainly a great three points.

We look so much more solid, better organised, more intelligent with the ball, and fitter. I was going a bit mad in the second half because we probably could have killed the game off with a second, but to be fair our game management was excellent, slowing it down and keeping possession for long periods. A lot of that was down to Gana. Not only does he protect the back four brilliantly, he's also superb on the ball. When he received it, he never panicked, never hoofed it. He always looked in control, so that he'd wait until the attacker came to him before releasing the ball to a team-mate, creating space. Supremely confident display from him.

Other than that, our back four was very good, the midfield generally looked miles above the standard of last season, and Maupay scored a proper striker's goal, which is what we have lacked so far.

A good day at Goodison. Great atmosphere most of the time, and only a few knobheads showing themselves up during the minute's silence and National Anthem.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25870

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Mon 19 Sep 2022, 1:40 pm

Hopefully we were better than the MOTD highlights made us out to be Neutral
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Mon 19 Sep 2022, 1:46 pm

Armchair wrote:Hopefully we were better than the MOTD highlights made us out to be Neutral

Yeah but we're not out of the woods yet by any means. We just need points, any old way they come. By all accounts West Ham were no better.

I wish I'd have timed each segment of MoTD. It felt like there were about 6 hours of Arsenal highlights, 2 days of Arsenal analysis, followed by 45 seconds of Everton. Then my iPlayer went on the blink before the Everton punditry started so I've no idea how long they spent on the chat.

Anyway, doesn't matter. Social media allows me to play on a loop Tarko shithousing Scamacca in order to burn the last 90 seconds off the clock. It's nothing to do with Tarko having Gueye's back, really. It's just football nous, doing what needs to be done to win. I love it.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  callmebubbles Mon 19 Sep 2022, 4:14 pm

Good day out. First half was dull but they did even less tham us and it was a comfy 45 mins. Great first 25mins 2nd half, usual shitty pants for last 20 once we had scored. Just about deserved 3 pts as Wet Spam were shit for most of it.
Overall, we are way more solid and will at least compete in most games. Goals will be a problem but if DCL can get fully fit and Maupay as back up then its not terminal. Get Mina and Godfrey back and squad looks half decent.
Still dont rate Myko, hopeful on Patterson, Coady and Gueye are the game changers. Iwobi improved and Onana could be a legend!!!
But whatever, its 3 fucking points!!!!!!!

callmebubbles
callmebubbles

Number of posts : 5547
Registration date : 2006-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Mon 19 Sep 2022, 4:44 pm

Didn't think we were anywhere near as bad as the national media have made out. They obviously weren't paying attention to us last season.

Yes we lacked a cutting edge, but we look comfortable at the back and through the middle, which seems a pretty good start point to me.

Everyone played well yesterday. I'd say the least effective player in the last two games has been Gordon. Considering we all said we were down without him, things seem on the up. Mid-table feels achievable.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4516
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Mon 19 Sep 2022, 6:46 pm

Goodison_Gringo wrote:Didn't think we were anywhere near as bad as the national media have made out. They obviously weren't paying attention to us last season.

Yes we lacked a cutting edge, but we look comfortable at the back and through the middle, which seems a pretty good start point to me.

Everyone played well yesterday. I'd say the least effective player in the last two games has been Gordon. Considering we all said we were down without him, things seem on the up. Mid-table feels achievable.

Yeah this is interesting because, as you say, 6 weeks ago we were seen as a bit of a one-man team, and we were worried about the possibility of him being flogged.

I can't comment on the West Ham game as I didn't see it, but if Gordon has been a bit quiet, yet we're still getting results, that's obviously a good sign. He's class and it won't be long before he's on song again.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic but I don't want to get carried away. It's one win, and our record at Southampton is pretty dire.

Even though I'm starting to believe we won't go down this season, that's not to say we won't actually be in the fight. I envisage something like 94/95 when Royle came in and inherited a team that was bottom and adrift. He basically sorted things out straight away with the three dogs of war in the middle etc. By about Jan/Feb it seemed obvious we'd survive, but we didn't actually assure our safety until (I think) the penultimate week. Wouldn't surprise me if this season is similar.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Judge Mon 19 Sep 2022, 7:01 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Goodison_Gringo wrote:Didn't think we were anywhere near as bad as the national media have made out. They obviously weren't paying attention to us last season.

Yeah this is interesting because, as you say, 6 weeks ago we were seen as a bit of a one-man team, and we were worried about the possibility of him being flogged.

I can't comment on the West Ham game as I didn't see it, but if Gordon has been a bit quiet, yet we're still getting results, that's obviously a good sign. He's class and it won't be long before he's on song again.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic but I don't want to get carried away. It's one win, and our record at Southampton is pretty dire.

Even though I'm starting to believe we won't go down this season, that's not to say we won't actually be in the fight. I envisage something like 94/95 when Royle came in and inherited a team that was bottom and adrift. He basically sorted things out straight away with the three dogs of war in the middle etc. By about Jan/Feb it seemed obvious we'd survive, but we didn't actually assure our safety until (I think) the penultimate week. Wouldn't surprise me if this season is similar.
Did we win the Cup that year Everton vs West Ham F_whistl

The man who is prepared to wear a Shoite top IF, AND ONLY IF, you are prepared to cough the £25,000. Its true it was broadcast on National Radio!!
Da Judge
Da Judge

Number of posts : 9785
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Mon 19 Sep 2022, 10:06 pm

He was completely anonymous yesterday, but I'm confident he'll be back to his best soon. I think the return of DCL might help.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Tue 20 Sep 2022, 12:14 am

Da Judge wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Aye! And the year before, we came really close to going down. It's in the stars, I tell thee.

Probably the most bad-Hollywood-movie of our recent past. I'll be happy to see a sequel, 28 years on but who's counting?
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Tue 20 Sep 2022, 7:58 am

Helpful we didn’t have Arsenal last week. That would probably have taken the wind out of our sails a bit. Despite conceding a few chances and not scoring more than one goal again we are looking a fairly tidy team who know how we’re supposed to be playing. Gueye has improved us no end, whether as a sub or a starter he does his job so well. Probably our best signing in a few years.

Defence definitely looking more solid, every corner was less of a stress with Coady and Tarkers in the middle. Shout out to Begovic as he’s comfortably the best reserve keeper we’ve had in a long time.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15994

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Da Judge Tue 20 Sep 2022, 9:44 am

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Da Judge wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Aye! And the year before, we came really close to going down. It's in the stars, I tell thee.

Probably the most bad-Hollywood-movie of our recent past. I'll be happy to see a sequel, 28 years on but who's counting?
we waited nearly that long for Top Gun...

The man who is prepared to wear a Shoite top IF, AND ONLY IF, you are prepared to cough the £25,000. Its true it was broadcast on National Radio!!
Da Judge
Da Judge

Number of posts : 9785

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Tue 20 Sep 2022, 11:50 am

back from the UK golf comp ... I played on Sunday afternoon with a West Ham fan... which was very nice Laughing

Golf was a bit shit & the course (Meon Valley) a bit scabby, but watching the football text updates on my phone between shots was lovely Smile

Number of posts : 41029

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Tue 20 Sep 2022, 9:53 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:back from the UK golf comp ... I played on Sunday afternoon with a West Ham fan... which was very nice Laughing

Golf was a bit shit & the course (Meon Valley) a bit scabby, but watching the football text updates on my phone between shots was lovely Smile

Was the West Ham fan alright? Like, not a twat?

I've probably said this before here but I don't mind West Ham fans, easily the most tolerable of London supporters. Generally fair and realistic in their expectations, and don't give you that "we're as big as you lot" bollocks that you get from the likes of Palace and (back in the day) QPR. There are a good few of them in my wider family due to my older brother marrying an East End lass and his two boys (both Blues) having married into West Ham families. I always enjoy chatting footy with them.

They seem to know what they are and are quite happy with it. Probably my favourite London club, if I had to choose one. Fulham are pleasant but too posh, and have no edge to them at all. Going to Fulham is like going to the in-laws for a nice Sunday roast, same vibe.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Wed 21 Sep 2022, 7:54 am

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:back from the UK golf comp ... I played on Sunday afternoon with a West Ham fan... which was very nice Laughing

I've probably said this before here but I don't mind West Ham fans, easily the most tolerable of London supporters. Generally fair and realistic in their expectations, and don't give you that "we're as big as you lot" bollocks that you get from the likes of Palace and (back in the day) QPR. There are a good few of them in my wider family due to my older brother marrying an East End lass and his two boys (both Blues) having married into West Ham families. I always enjoy chatting footy with them.

They seem to know what they are and are quite happy with it. Probably my favourite London club, if I had to choose one. Fulham are pleasant but too posh, and have no edge to them at all. Going to Fulham is like going to the in-laws for a nice Sunday roast, same vibe.

Speaking of which, my Fulham-supporting mate and me have just booked tickets for Fulham-Everton. £65!!! Shocked Maybe I'm out of touch with PL ticket prices, but that seems extortionate.
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Wed 21 Sep 2022, 8:33 am

Armchair wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Speaking of which, my Fulham-supporting mate and me have just booked tickets for Fulham-Everton. £65!!! Shocked Maybe I'm out of touch with PL ticket prices, but that seems extortionate.

I'm not going this year, but Fulham is by far my favourite away game. As Rotts says, it's mellow as fuck, and the ground is in a lovely location. If you like a pint, there are some top pubs just across the river serving Young's, which is a very decent pint in my opinion. Last time I went, we tubed to Hammersmith then walked along the river to the ground, it was lovely. The fans are great, as are the Brentford fans from my experience of their visit to Goodison earlier this year, probably because they lack the arrogance of the Chelsea, Spurs, Arse fans.

Anyway, enjoy the game. £65 does seem a bit steep, but I keep reading about this cost of living inflation crisis, so that's probably the equivalent of a tenner at 2021 prices.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down