606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sean Dyche - has one hell of a job to do !

+6
fourdoors
Tonteau
Goodison_Gringo
hairy cataract
Made 4 Gwladys
Rotterdam 1985
10 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Sean Dyche - has one hell of a job to do ! - Page 6 Empty Re: Sean Dyche - has one hell of a job to do !

Post  hairy cataract Tue 31 Jan 2023, 9:07 am

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Tonteau wrote:What I like about Dyche is that he has a bit of personality about him. He can shoulder the pressure a bit and hopefully take some off the players. Lampard usually spoke well but you always felt he was a bit overwhelmed by it all and exasperated that the players weren’t simply ‘playing better’ like he had no hand in the training or tactics. At least Dyche comes with both the experience of keeping a team up and getting a team promoted.

What I like about Dyche is that he'll have a plan. I've used that word, plan, so many fucking times in posts and conversations about Everton in the last few months.

He knows what he wants to do and he'll have an idea of how to get there, even with a limited squad. It may not work, for this season, and it certainly won't be attractive to watch. But at least it won't feel like we're making things up as we go along, one game at a time.

And yes, I quite like his personality actually. I get the feeling he'll be one of those managers who people like playing for, and even if they don't like him or his methods, they'll still respect him and will want to work for him.

Yes, both of these posts. He is very straight talking, which I think some players will probably appreciate, in that he says he pisses himself laughing at modern football phraseology like "recycling the ball". He hasn't bought into this thing of making tactics sound more complicated than they are. Football genuinely is a simple game, and I cringe when I watch some interviews with managers and pundits these days. It's like they've invented a language to try to raise the intellectual level of football. Dyche is thoughtful about the game, but he refuses to hide behind pseudo-intellectual posturing.

I also like the photo the club released of the first training session, with Dyche laughing his cock off at a player who looks like he's puking his guts out. It was a wicked pic to release, and I bet the player (James Garner?) is really pissed off, but it speaks to the fans, who want to see the players being stretched by the manager to give everything, all of the time.

Yes, I still think we'll go down, but I think the odds on us going down have lengthened slightly, and I think the odds of us coming back up have shortened.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25858
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Sean Dyche - has one hell of a job to do ! - Page 6 Empty Re: Sean Dyche - has one hell of a job to do !

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Tue 31 Jan 2023, 10:02 am

hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Tonteau wrote:What I like about Dyche is that he has a bit of personality about him. He can shoulder the pressure a bit and hopefully take some off the players. Lampard usually spoke well but you always felt he was a bit overwhelmed by it all and exasperated that the players weren’t simply ‘playing better’ like he had no hand in the training or tactics. At least Dyche comes with both the experience of keeping a team up and getting a team promoted.

What I like about Dyche is that he'll have a plan. I've used that word, plan, so many fucking times in posts and conversations about Everton in the last few months.

He knows what he wants to do and he'll have an idea of how to get there, even with a limited squad. It may not work, for this season, and it certainly won't be attractive to watch. But at least it won't feel like we're making things up as we go along, one game at a time.

And yes, I quite like his personality actually. I get the feeling he'll be one of those managers who people like playing for, and even if they don't like him or his methods, they'll still respect him and will want to work for him.

Yes, both of these posts.  He is very straight talking, which I think some players will probably appreciate, in that he says he pisses himself laughing at modern football phraseology like "recycling the ball".  He hasn't bought into this thing of making tactics sound more complicated than they are.  Football genuinely is a simple game, and I cringe when I watch some interviews with managers and pundits these days.  It's like they've invented a language to try to raise the intellectual level of football.  Dyche is thoughtful about the game, but he refuses to hide behind pseudo-intellectual posturing.

I also like the photo the club released of the first training session, with Dyche laughing his cock off at a player who looks like he's puking his guts out.  It was a wicked pic to release, and I bet the  player (James Garner?) is really pissed off, but it speaks to the fans, who want to see the players being stretched by the manager to give everything, all of the time.

Yes, I still think we'll go down, but I think the odds on us going down have lengthened slightly,  and I think the odds of us coming back up have shortened.

Lol, if that was Garner then I feel for him a bit. He's just coming back from injury only to get Dyched in a training session. No wonder he chundered.

I played for one team many years ago that was managed by a gym-rat pyscho. He couldn't play the game himself and knew fuck all about tactics but he knew about fitness. In the pre-season training sessions he'd have a few lads vomiting. I never vomited, I just slowed down and told him to fuck off when he tried to get me sprinting again. Like, I had a visible beer belly and he wasn't going to remove that in one hour of training every week. And it was a pub team FFS, not worth chundering for.

Ref modern football terminology - I keep on catching my lad out with this. He knows his football and agrees it's a simple game and he tries to fight the over-elaboration bollocks. But he can't help himself, him and his mates are clearly using these terms all the time. Double pivot, half space, transition - all bullshit really. I think "half space" is a Klopp invention.

The one I've knowingly adopted myself of late is this new-fangled tendency to refer to central midfielders as either a 6 or an 8 or a 10. I like this, as it takes me back to old-school shirt numbers and the way they (sometimes, not always) defined what position you played.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14755
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Tue 31 Jan 2023, 10:32 am

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Yes, both of these posts.  He is very straight talking, which I think some players will probably appreciate, in that he says he pisses himself laughing at modern football phraseology like "recycling the ball".  He hasn't bought into this thing of making tactics sound more complicated than they are.  Football genuinely is a simple game, and I cringe when I watch some interviews with managers and pundits these days.  It's like they've invented a language to try to raise the intellectual level of football.  Dyche is thoughtful about the game, but he refuses to hide behind pseudo-intellectual posturing.

I also like the photo the club released of the first training session, with Dyche laughing his cock off at a player who looks like he's puking his guts out.  It was a wicked pic to release, and I bet the  player (James Garner?) is really pissed off, but it speaks to the fans, who want to see the players being stretched by the manager to give everything, all of the time.

Yes, I still think we'll go down, but I think the odds on us going down have lengthened slightly,  and I think the odds of us coming back up have shortened.

Lol, if that was Garner then I feel for him a bit. He's just coming back from injury only to get Dyched in a training session. No wonder he chundered.

I played for one team many years ago that was managed by a gym-rat pyscho. He couldn't play the game himself and knew fuck all about tactics but he knew about fitness. In the pre-season training sessions he'd have a few lads vomiting. I never vomited, I just slowed down and told him to fuck off when he tried to get me sprinting again. Like, I had a visible beer belly and he wasn't going to remove that in one hour of training every week. And it was a pub team FFS, not worth chundering for.

Ref modern football terminology - I keep on catching my lad out with this. He knows his football and agrees it's a simple game and he tries to fight the over-elaboration bollocks. But he can't help himself, him and his mates are clearly using these terms all the time. Double pivot, half space, transition - all bullshit really. I think "half space" is a Klopp invention.

The one I've knowingly adopted myself of late is this new-fangled tendency to refer to central midfielders as either a 6 or an 8 or a 10. I like this, as it takes me back to old-school shirt numbers and the way they (sometimes, not always) defined what position you played.

Ha, yes, I've caught myself doing that "what we need is a 6 and an 8" thing, I've even committed the cardinal sin of referring to a "false 9".

Talking of old school, I watched the Wrexham Sheff U cup tie and, obviously, it was an absolute cracker. One of the things that made it a cracker was the lack of VAR. Sure, some decisions were wrong, some decisions were right, but fuck me it was great that the ref's decision was final and when a goal was scored it was a fucking goal, not a maybe while VAR takes ten minutes to see if someone's foreskin was ahead of the last defender.

Someone on the radio was saying that perhaps the FA Cup should be a completely VAR-free competition. I'd be on board with that.

Anyway, it's sealed the deal for me - VAR is a negative not a positive. The game is better without it.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Tue 31 Jan 2023, 12:28 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2023/jan/31/david-squires-on-bielsa-dyche-and-the-everton-manager-interview-process

Sean Dyche - has one hell of a job to do ! - Page 6 3571

Last edited by Tonteau on Tue 31 Jan 2023, 1:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15978
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Tue 31 Jan 2023, 1:06 pm

Laughing

Number of posts : 40856

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Tue 31 Jan 2023, 1:10 pm

We should definitely adopt that new club motto (first picture).
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22536
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Tue 31 Jan 2023, 1:17 pm

Armchair wrote:We should definitely adopt that new club motto (first picture).

Ha ha, only just seen that after you mentioned it.

"O deus, quid nunc?" in Latin.

Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  fourdoors Wed 01 Feb 2023, 2:45 pm

Tonteau wrote:Here you go, four doors. This is a great little intro to Dycheball… by the man himself.

Cheers Tonteau Sean Dyche - has one hell of a job to do ! - Page 6 Food-smi

fourdoors

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2005-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 02 Feb 2023, 2:37 pm

Big Seany's first press conference:
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 02 Feb 2023, 3:08 pm

Not gonna lie, I thought he was fucking great there. Fronted everything, made it about him, talked sense and has a plan. I can see him getting us out the championship next season.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Thu 02 Feb 2023, 3:30 pm

Tonteau wrote:Not gonna lie, I thought he was fucking great there. Fronted everything, made it about him, talked sense and has a plan. I can see him getting us out the championship next season.

cheers

His jokes were a bit shit though.  And, to be honest, that's what I look for in a new manager - good sense of humour.  He'll never make it.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Thu 02 Feb 2023, 3:38 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Tonteau wrote:Not gonna lie, I thought he was fucking great there. Fronted everything, made it about him, talked sense and has a plan. I can see him getting us out the championship next season.

cheers

His jokes were a bit shit though.  And, to be honest, that's what I look for in a new manager - good sense of humour.  He'll never make it.

Yeah, his 'zany bastard' vibe is slightly annoying.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  fourdoors Thu 02 Feb 2023, 3:39 pm

I admit I've been a bit tense and worried lately, but the first 13 minutes helped bring about a sense of calm. It was then ruined on 13m03.

fourdoors

Number of posts : 844
Registration date : 2005-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Thu 02 Feb 2023, 5:56 pm

Good press conference. I like that he doesn't bullshit. I'm happy to support and get behind him but then again, I thought Frank came across well and seemed a decent bloke. Press conferences don't count for much.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4509
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Fri 28 Jul 2023, 8:25 am

The gaffer…

‘Everton spent a week training in the Alps, where the squad were put through their paces including Dyche's infamous 'Gaffer's Day' - a training session without balls and consisting of a large amount of running.
"It is not nice," said Keane. "But you definitely feel good after it.
"It is a mental challenge, and there are times when you want to give up, but you just keep going, get back on that line, and run again.
"Everyone gave their best and everyone feels the benefits for it."’
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Mon 18 Sep 2023, 12:09 pm

Sean Dyche has a significant advantage over his predecessors as he embarks on a three-month audition to impress prospective new owners.

No matter how much worse it gets after four defeats in the opening five Premier League games, no one at Everton has the authority to sack him.

Dyche arrived at Goodison Park having inherited English football’s version of a hospital pass. Now it is more like a free pass. His chances of reversing a dire situation will be enhanced once his players can consistently execute more than one successful pass.

The word from 777 Partners is Dyche has their support as they tapdance through the regulations before inheriting Everton’s latest fight for Premier League survival. While they are engaged in the process of proving they are fit and proper owners, they will not have the power nor inclination to headhunt another manager.

Demob happy majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri, meanwhile, will spend the next few months dreaming of the possible swelling of his bank balance more than the league table, while members of Everton’s interim board will be more worried about their own long-term futures than the manager’s.

Director of football Kevin Thelwell is Dyche’s ally and probably realises his future is inextricably linked with that of the coach. They have been pretty much left to get on with the football operations since last season, presumably checking behind any old sofa for a stray £5 note and fit goalscorer.

Occasionally, the manager is candid about how unrealistic he thinks it is to expect any more than the team is producing.

“Our growth is where we are. There is a reality which I spoke about at the end of last season. Nothing was solved,” said Dyche.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/four-defeats-in-five-but-no-one-is-left-at-everton-with-the-authority-to-sack-sean-dyche/ar-AA1gS7wz?cvid=81005ed1381f411bfeaacbb18dc45405&ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&ei=9

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Mon 18 Sep 2023, 3:19 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:Sean Dyche has a significant advantage over his predecessors as he embarks on a three-month audition to impress prospective new owners.

No matter how much worse it gets after four defeats in the opening five Premier League games, no one at Everton has the authority to sack him.

Dyche arrived at Goodison Park having inherited English football’s version of a hospital pass. Now it is more like a free pass. His chances of reversing a dire situation will be enhanced once his players can consistently execute more than one successful pass.

The word from 777 Partners is Dyche has their support as they tapdance through the regulations before inheriting Everton’s latest fight for Premier League survival. While they are engaged in the process of proving they are fit and proper owners, they will not have the power nor inclination to headhunt another manager.

Demob happy majority shareholder Farhad Moshiri, meanwhile, will spend the next few months dreaming of the possible swelling of his bank balance more than the league table, while members of Everton’s interim board will be more worried about their own long-term futures than the manager’s.

Director of football Kevin Thelwell is Dyche’s ally and probably realises his future is inextricably linked with that of the coach. They have been pretty much left to get on with the football operations since last season, presumably checking behind any old sofa for a stray £5 note and fit goalscorer.

Occasionally, the manager is candid about how unrealistic he thinks it is to expect any more than the team is producing.

“Our growth is where we are. There is a reality which I spoke about at the end of last season. Nothing was solved,” said Dyche.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/four-defeats-in-five-but-no-one-is-left-at-everton-with-the-authority-to-sack-sean-dyche/ar-AA1gS7wz?cvid=81005ed1381f411bfeaacbb18dc45405&ocid=winp2fptaskbarhover&ei=9

What an odd article. Absolute load of shite.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Mon 18 Sep 2023, 4:25 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:Sean Dyche has a significant advantage over his predecessors as he embarks on a three-month audition to impress prospective new owners.

Smile it was a bit weird... I think they are trying to say that despite Dyche being fucking awful, with fucking awful results to back that up, he is unsackable because 777 are coming in no-one on the board gives a shit till then.

I dunno... maybe there is some truth in that !

Let's be honest, on paper we have players that should be mid to bottom table ... Dyche has put us firmly in the bottom 4 or 5, and the teams that were promoted are truly shite this time round.

I think Dyche should be VERY close to being told to fuck off... the thing that would stop me pulling the trigger is who out there would be better ?.. or be mad enough to take it on ??.... maybe Potter ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Mon 18 Sep 2023, 6:07 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Tonteau wrote:

Smile it was a bit weird... I think they are trying to say that despite Dyche being fucking awful, with fucking awful results to back that up, he is unsackable because 777 are coming in no-one on the board gives a shit till then.

I dunno... maybe there is some truth in that !

Let's be honest, on paper we have players that should be mid to bottom table ... Dyche has put us firmly in the bottom 4 or 5, and the teams that were promoted are truly shite this time round.

I think Dyche should be VERY close to being told to fuck off... the thing that would stop me pulling the trigger is who out there would be better ?.. or be mad enough to take it on ??.... maybe Potter ?

I can see Potter taking over if we were in the Championship and he could rebuild, or over the summer if still in the PL, but don't think he'd want to take on a club in turmoil that's heading for relegation.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22536
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Mon 18 Sep 2023, 8:07 pm

Potter’s success with Brighton was based around them being a well run club with a clear vision of how they want to play. Ship him to Chelsea, give him half a billion quid, and he couldn’t replicate it. Whereas Brighton replace him with some bloke from a 90s boy band and do even better.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Tue 19 Sep 2023, 9:21 am

Tonteau wrote:Potter’s success with Brighton was based around them being a well run club with a clear vision of how they want to play. Ship him to Chelsea, give him half a billion quid, and he couldn’t replicate it. Whereas Brighton replace him with some bloke from a 90s boy band and do even better.

This is true. We don't need Graham Potter, we need Winston Wolf.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Tue 19 Sep 2023, 11:16 am

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Tonteau wrote:Potter’s success with Brighton was based around them being a well run club with a clear vision of how they want to play. Ship him to Chelsea, give him half a billion quid, and he couldn’t replicate it. Whereas Brighton replace him with some bloke from a 90s boy band and do even better.

It's actually why Dyche is a good fit for now (even though his brand of football isn't exactly inspiring), he'll mould a team in his own image and get involved in every part of it. It's how Moyes works as well (even though moyes is a better manager) it's how Fergie worked and it's why United have (relatively) struggled since he left. They're a big club but haven't really had a cohesive identity post Sluralex.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Tue 19 Sep 2023, 11:52 am

Tonteau wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

It's actually why Dyche is a good fit for now (even though his brand of football isn't exactly inspiring), he'll mould a team in his own image and get involved in every part of it. It's how Moyes works as well (even though moyes is a better manager) it's how Fergie worked and it's why United have (relatively) struggled since he left. They're a big club but haven't really had a cohesive identity post Sluralex.

And by marginalising previous DoFs this is what we've been doing since Moyes left anyway - allowing each manager to create his team with his players, and then binning him off (sometimes too soon), so leaving the incoming manager to Winston Wolf the problem with tools that he doesn't want. This is why the Brighton analogy is on point - they have a club philosophy, they don't delegate the responsibility for creating a culture to each incoming, disparate manager. What can Dyche do with Andre Gomes?

So yes, this is an argument for sticking with Dyche, warts and all. I simply don't see what anyone else could do better by coming in in January and having to work with players that for the most part suit a Dyche style of play. We've never learned this lesson, throughout the Moshiri years, that club identity matters.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Tue 19 Sep 2023, 12:36 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

And by marginalising previous DoFs this is what we've been doing since Moyes left anyway - allowing each manager to create his team with his players, and then binning him off (sometimes too soon), so leaving the incoming manager to Winston Wolf the problem with tools that he doesn't want. This is why the Brighton analogy is on point - they have a club philosophy, they don't delegate the responsibility for creating a culture to each incoming, disparate manager. What can Dyche do with Andre Gomes?

So yes, this is an argument for sticking with Dyche, warts and all. I simply don't see what anyone else could do better by coming in in January and having to work with players that for the most part suit a Dyche style of play. We've never learned this lesson, throughout the Moshiri years, that club identity matters.

Yup, good points, Rotts. Essentially we just need someone who can bring us, limping, half-dead, however, into the new stadium as a premier league club. Then we can worry about getting an identity.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Tue 19 Sep 2023, 4:28 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

Yup, good points, Rotts. Essentially we just need someone who can bring us, limping, half-dead, however, into the new stadium as a premier league club. Then we can worry about getting an identity.

I think I've even gone beyond praying that we survive in the Prem until we're in the new stadium. The idea of playing Rotherham in our first home game at BMD seemed horrific 12 months ago, even 6 months ago. Now my fears for the club go way beyond mere embarrassment.

I'm just looking for signs that the club will at some point in the near future be run in an acceptable, business-like, sustainable manner, befitting a club of our size. If that involves or includes dropping down a division then I'm sort of already on board with that. I just need to see some shards of light where I can currently see only darkness. Off the pitch seems more important to me than on the pitch just now.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next