606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ManUre v Everton

+6
Blue gazza
callmebubbles
Armchair
Made 4 Gwladys
Knight of Thorgothshire
Rotterdam 1985
10 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

ManUre v Everton Empty ManUre v Everton

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:30 am

A proper football club takes on a corporate behemoth that whored itself out to the highest bidder many years ago. The corporate entity will win of course, but that's OK because we're better than them.

Does Manchester United truly represent Manchester? Does City, even, anymore? Where does one have to go to sample a taste of footy in that proud industrial city that still feels like its in touch with the community it's supposed to be rooted in? Droylsden? Curzon Ashton? I suppose Salford City might fill that void if they get into, say, the Championship. But even that's a vanity project with artificial roots and, as any Salfordian will tell you often enough for you to want to shoot them in the face through sheer tedium, Salford isn't Manchester. FC United is a nice idea, although they've stalled at the seventh tier of English football.

I admire Manchester for its musical output but as a footballing city, it no longer has a heart. I'll remain an Evertonian for as long as I believe the club's heart is in the right place. For all that we suffer, for all the tedium and the years without a trophy, it still feels like a part of me. I don't think it's a choice, I think it's an innate feeling that can't be manipulated by rational thought. I'd hate to have that ripped away from me. United fans simply cannot ever feel it the way we do. Of course, that's a huge generalisation, the fathers and sons thing probably still applies to them as much as any other club. It's still not the same though. Supporting them must feel like supporting Boeing. And how would we feel if we were part of the elite, trying to form a super league and packing our ground with tourists from around the globe? I do think there would be a line that, if crossed, would prompt me to turn my back on it all. I love Everton but it ain't unconditional. That connection, that feeling, still has to be there.

Yeah, I've had a drink. Anyway, United 3 (Ronaldo, Wallwork, Gidman OG) Everton 1 (Gidman OG). But we know, we know, that the only reason they beat us is because they've got an official Global Lubricant and Fuel Retail Partner and we don't.

And that famous Manc arrogance is all one massive inferiority complex, of course. Liam Gallagher clearly wet the bed well into his early teens.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14696
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

ManUre v Everton Empty Re: ManUre v Everton

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 02 Oct 2021, 1:34 am

Very informative post there Rotts.

With me not being English, it's difficult for me to rebuff any of the comments about Man Utd as a club, but I do feel that Everton is a much more special club in comparison. Not many people are drawn to Everton, as a not-nearly-as-successful-of-a-club compared to the "top" clubs.

And I'm OK with that and here's why. I met an electrician at work this past Monday. Under his safety vest he had a red Man Utd t-shirt on so I started talking to him about it. Turns out he had really no clue about the club or when I asked what he thought about the Villa game and the Fernandes penalty, his response was that he doesn't get to watch as many highlights these days as he'd like to. Uh what....? Not really a fan then eh mate? That's probably what I should have asked him.

Clearly he had no clue, but it's "cool" to wear a big sports team's t-shirt at work to show what a successful person he himself is.

Kick-off against Utd is at 5:30AM my time and I'll have to try and find some dodgy Russian feed more than likely, but I'll be watching.

And then be in a shitty mood the rest of the weekend because we lost.... Rolling Eyes Laughing
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74305
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 02 Oct 2021, 10:13 am

Manchester United defender Harry Maguire misses out with the calf injury he sustained during last Saturday's defeat by Aston Villa.

Luke Shaw has overcome illness but still has a shoulder problem and will be assessed.

Everton remain without injured quartet Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Richarlison, Seamus Coleman and Andre Gomes.

Jean-Philippe Gbamin has overcome a thigh issue but Alex Iwobi is a fitness doubt with an unspecified problem.

Number of posts : 40811

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 02 Oct 2021, 10:15 am

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:Very informative post there Rotts.

With me not being English, it's difficult for me to rebuff any of the comments about Man Utd as a club, but I do feel that Everton is a much more special club in comparison. Not many people are drawn to Everton, as a not-nearly-as-successful-of-a-club compared to the "top" clubs.

And I'm OK with that and here's why. I met an electrician at work this past Monday. Under his safety vest he had a red Man Utd t-shirt on so I started talking to him about it. Turns out he had really no clue about the club or when I asked what he thought about the Villa game and the Fernandes penalty, his response was that he doesn't get to watch as many highlights these days as he'd like to. Uh what....? Not really a fan then eh mate? That's probably what I should have asked him.

Clearly he had no clue, but it's "cool" to wear a big sports team's t-shirt at work to show what a successful person he himself is.

Kick-off against Utd is at 5:30AM my time and I'll have to try and find some dodgy Russian feed more than likely, but I'll be watching.

And then be in a shitty mood the rest of the weekend because we lost.... Rolling Eyes Laughing
pretty sure it's on NBC sport mate

Back to top Go down

Post  Rotterdam 1985 Sat 02 Oct 2021, 11:18 am

I'm not normally one to generalise but I'll make an exception for Mancs. I've met a few good 'uns but they generally leave me feeling unimpressed.

And I did notice that there was a spate of people walking round in basketball tops a few years ago (not common in England) - almost all of them were Golden State. To me, jumping on the bandwagon and following the obvious team (where you make that choice) is the least cool thing you can do.
Rotterdam 1985
Rotterdam 1985

Number of posts : 14696
Location : Milton Keynes - the Paris of the Northern Home Counties
Registration date : 2005-10-16

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD8bsfggCuo&mode=related&

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:22 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:

Which I don't have. I have Peacock. Hence a dodgy delayed Russian link. Sad
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:24 pm

Rotterdam 1985 wrote:

I'm not normally one to generalise but I'll make an exception for Mancs. I've met a few good 'uns but they generally leave me feeling unimpressed.

And I did notice that there was a spate of people walking round in basketball tops a few years ago (not common in England) - almost all of them were Golden State. To me, jumping on the bandwagon and following the obvious team (where you make that choice) is the least cool thing you can do.
I wonder if they still wear the Golden State jersey now since they have had a couple of crap years. Rolling Eyes Laughing
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:26 pm

Gordon starts
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22501
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:29 pm

Everton XI: Pickford, Keane, Allan, Gray, Digne, Mina, Townsend, Doucoure, Godfrey, Gordon, Rondon.

Subs: Begovic, Longergan, Kenny, Holgate, Gbamin, Davies, Branthwaite, Whitaker, Dobbin.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:33 pm

And we are underway.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:39 pm

Utd are a bit all over us. Martial with a free header from just a few yards out- wide.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:41 pm

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:

try oonline...at
https://ustvgo.tv/nbcsn/

it works for mw from UK on a VPN set to australia

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:42 pm

If it continues like this, it's just a matter of time before Utd score.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:42 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:

try oonline...at
https://ustvgo.tv/nbcsn/

it works for mw from UK on a VPN set to australia
http://livetv.sx/enx/eventinfo/1115382_manchester_utd_everton/#webplayer_alieztv|169529|1115382|1687861|1|1|en
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  callmebubbles Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:43 pm

Rondon is a carthorse
callmebubbles
callmebubbles

Number of posts : 5532
Registration date : 2006-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:43 pm

Possession 78/22.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:44 pm

What a chance for Rondon but he takes way too long and his shot is blocked.

Last edited by Knight of Thorgothshire on Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:45 pm

Josh King, i mean Sandro, I mean Kean,,, no wait Klaasen ...

...er no it was a fat bloke called Rondon actually

had a chance there....

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:47 pm

decent spell with the ball here

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:48 pm

Kean close Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:49 pm

Decent header by Keane from a Townsend freekick but it's wide of the far post.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:52 pm

we're fighting hard in the tackle which is great to see

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:53 pm

great save JP from Cavani

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:54 pm

What a save by Pickford.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 02 Oct 2021, 12:55 pm

Cavani might not be quite the striker he was some 5-10 years ago, but he's still very good and it's amazing how he manages to find the space between defenders. That header was a great proof of that.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next