606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

14: Steven Naismith - smart buy

+24
My other LB is a Ferrari
Statman
Mr_Ben
Super
Dixie Land
Made 4 Gwladys
Barry Horne's Equaliser
Gravy & Chips
SEFTON
hairy cataract
Hinchcliffe Corner
Tonteau
Knight of Thorgothshire
Blue gazza
RhinoJagz
Sack the Juggler
Yankthattoffee
SouthernSmugToffee
tadpole
Lumper
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
Kilted_Toffee
Da Judge
ToffeeDan
28 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

14: Steven Naismith - smart buy - Page 3 Empty Re: 14: Steven Naismith - smart buy

Post  Yankthattoffee Mon 18 Mar 2013, 4:16 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:
tadpole wrote:
Lumper wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:this player cannot pass a football

It's the first time I've ever seen a case of first season syndrome.

Or take a corner affraid
although it was his tackle that set Fellaini off on the run that ended with Jelly's goal and a roar that is still reverberating around Goodison
With Felli and Peenut out, seems nailed on that DM will pick him against Stoke, although Oviedo on the left seems a better option, with Vic and Jelly up front from the start.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

14: Steven Naismith - smart buy - Page 3 Empty Re: 14: Steven Naismith - smart buy

Post  Dixie Land Wed 05 Jun 2013, 9:58 pm

He is that good that Scotland have named him in their squad twice!!!

Scotland squad
Goalkeepers: Matt Gilks (Blackpool), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Allan McGregor (Besiktas)
Defenders: Steven Hammell (Motherwell), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Real Mallorca), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Andy Webster (Hearts), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Dundee United), Barry Bannan (Aston Villa), Chris Burke (Birmingham City), Craig Conway (Cardiff City), Ryan Jack (Aberdeen), Gary Mackay-Steven (Dundee United), James McArthur (Wigan Athletic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Steven Naismith (Everton), Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City) Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic)

Forwards: Leigh Griffiths (Hibernian), Steven Naismith (Everton), Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rovers), Tony Watt (Celtic)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22787925
Dixie Land
Dixie Land

Number of posts : 20992
Registration date : 2006-01-07

http://www.myspace.com/dixieland1978

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Wed 05 Jun 2013, 10:23 pm

Dixie Land wrote:He is that good that Scotland have named him in their squad twice!!!

Scotland squad
Goalkeepers: Matt Gilks (Blackpool), David Marshall (Cardiff City), Allan McGregor (Besiktas)
Defenders: Steven Hammell (Motherwell), Grant Hanley (Blackburn Rovers), Alan Hutton (Real Mallorca), Russell Martin (Norwich City), Andy Webster (Hearts), Steven Whittaker (Norwich City)

Midfielders: Stuart Armstrong (Dundee United), Barry Bannan (Aston Villa), Chris Burke (Birmingham City), Craig Conway (Cardiff City), Ryan Jack (Aberdeen), Gary Mackay-Steven (Dundee United), James McArthur (Wigan Athletic), James Morrison (West Bromwich Albion), Steven Naismith (Everton), Robert Snodgrass (Norwich City) Shaun Maloney (Wigan Athletic)

Forwards: Leigh Griffiths (Hibernian), Steven Naismith (Everton), Jordan Rhodes (Blackburn Rovers), Tony Watt (Celtic)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22787925
but he's good enough to have also been named as a defender as well .... boooooo

Number of posts : 40811
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernSmugToffee Mon 08 Jul 2013, 9:14 am

Apparently Martinez has turned down bids from more than one club for Steven Naismith.
scratch 
SouthernSmugToffee
SouthernSmugToffee

Number of posts : 3935
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoJagz Mon 08 Jul 2013, 9:58 am

SouthernSmugToffee wrote:Apparently Martinez has turned down bids from more than one club for Steven Naismith.
scratch 

Well one offer was from a tranny bar in Ibiza.

Number of posts : 26901
Registration date : 2006-01-22

http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Mon 08 Jul 2013, 10:08 am

Bluejagz wrote:
SouthernSmugToffee wrote:Apparently Martinez has turned down bids from more than one club for Steven Naismith.
scratch 

Well one offer was from a tranny bar in Ibiza.

14: Steven Naismith - smart buy - Page 3 Doh  we'll regret that come September!
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Number of posts : 25877
Registration date : 2005-10-14

http://something-wild.org/gallery/Hotties3/aaa

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Mon 08 Jul 2013, 2:13 pm

The offer was -£2m.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22501
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Mon 08 Jul 2013, 2:28 pm

Armchair Evertonian wrote:The offer was -£2m.
I think (and hope) that Robby is more interested in getting players in, dealing with Baines/Felli, and his new office.
Maybe use Naismith as a cash+player deal with someone, somewhere later in the window.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Tue 09 Jul 2013, 3:50 am

Armchair Evertonian wrote:The offer was -£2m.
14: Steven Naismith - smart buy - Page 3 F_laugh As in we have to pay the other club to take him off our books. 14: Steven Naismith - smart buy - Page 3 F_laugh 14: Steven Naismith - smart buy - Page 3 F_laugh 
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74305

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Thu 11 Jul 2013, 3:28 am

I was watching that youtube video of the Barca loan signing and my 11 year was watching it as well. He asked me if I would rather have Messi at Everton. With a straight face I said "Nah, we got Steven Naismith".

Laughing 
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Thu 11 Jul 2013, 7:16 am

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:I was watching that youtube video of the Barca loan signing and my 11 year was watching it as well. He asked me if I would rather have Messi at Everton. With a straight face I said "Nah, we got Steven Naismith".

Laughing 

cheers lol!
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Back to top Go down

Post  Dixie Land Wed 21 Aug 2013, 2:40 pm

The reason he can't play football.

14: Steven Naismith - smart buy - Page 3 Naisan10
Dixie Land
Dixie Land

Number of posts : 20992
Registration date : 2006-01-07

http://www.myspace.com/dixieland1978

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue gazza Wed 21 Aug 2013, 3:11 pm

Dixie Land wrote:The reason he can't play football.

14: Steven Naismith - smart buy - Page 3 Naisan10
i bet vic misses that as well Very Happy 
Blue gazza
Blue gazza

Number of posts : 8008

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue gazza Thu 14 Nov 2013, 5:52 pm

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/world-of-sport/everton-naismith-soldier-letter-changed-life-111409039.html

nice
Blue gazza
Blue gazza

Number of posts : 8008

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Thu 14 Nov 2013, 7:16 pm

Don't think there was ever any doubt that real life is more important than football.

Also, don't think there was any doubt that Naismith is level headed nice guy.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Sun 30 Mar 2014, 11:54 pm

Was excellent today and has actually been pretty good for us this season. He's not a centre forward, but he's a decent No10/second striker.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15976
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  SEFTON Mon 31 Mar 2014, 9:00 am

Tonteau wrote:Was excellent today and has actually been pretty good for us this season. He's not a centre forward, but he's a decent No10/second striker.

Naismith is very underated ? specially by our own fans, Needs to be given more credit were its due and deserved,
same can be said of John Stones who is doing an excellent job deputising centre back.
Aiden McGeady is another just needs time to settle , Its time we concentrated on the players who want to play for Everton perminently .not players who want to use are club as a shop window to move on.

SEFTON
SEFTON

Number of posts : 10591
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinchcliffe Corner Mon 31 Mar 2014, 10:44 am

sefton wrote:
Tonteau wrote:Was excellent today and has actually been pretty good for us this season. He's not a centre forward, but he's a decent No10/second striker.

Naismith is very underated ? specially by our own fans, Needs to be given more credit were its due and deserved,

Everything I've seen from Naismith suggests that if we play him in a central role, with a partner, he'll do a great job for us, kind of in the Chris Sutton mould.  The moment you play him out of position, he turns in to a headless chicken.
Hinchcliffe Corner
Hinchcliffe Corner

Number of posts : 2425
Registration date : 2006-01-27

http://www.phil-cooper.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Mon 31 Mar 2014, 11:22 am

Hinchcliffe Corner wrote:
sefton wrote:

Everything I've seen from Naismith suggests that if we play him in a central role, with a partner, he'll do a great job for us, kind of in the Chris Sutton mould.  The moment you play him out of position, he turns in to a headless chicken.
Is Sheringham a good analogy?
he wasn't fast and didn't seem to beat players with wizardry, just great support role and steady supply of goals.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Mon 31 Mar 2014, 11:25 am

sefton wrote:

He is actually a great footballer with fantastic vision and reading of the game but with average pace, and its that last bit that stops him being a great striker. Some of his passes yesterday were brilliant and his movement is world class (assuming Scotland ever make it to the world cup).
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry Horne's Equaliser Mon 31 Mar 2014, 11:26 am

Sack the Juggler wrote:
sefton wrote:

He is actually a great footballer with fantastic vision and reading of the game but with average pace, and its that last bit that stops him being a great striker.  Some of his passes yesterday were brilliant and his movement is world class (assuming Scotland ever make it to the world cup).

A right midfielder he is not - astonishing he's been played out there so often. Hope he gets a decent enough run in a more natural position - was a real game changer yesterday and easily his best performance for us to date.

Number of posts : 13161

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoJagz Fri 04 Apr 2014, 11:21 am

Another knife in Moyes' back!
Good manners cost nothing and burning bridges is never a smart idea. Those who disagree with such life sentiment need only study the case of Steven Naismith.

It is the summer of 2012. After deciding that his future lies away from Rangers amid a move by the club's then chief executive, Charles Green, to force players to move their contracts to a newco business, Naismith is on the verge of a move to Everton as a free agent.

"Contract-wise everything was sorted out, the facilities were tremendous," Naismith recalls. "I liked what I had heard about the manager. The team was great."

The manager of another club, though, was refusing to take "no" for an answer. Wigan Athletic's Roberto Martínez, made it clear to Naismith's representatives that he must speak to the player. "A day or two before I was meant to be coming to Everton I got that phonecall," says Naismith. "In all honesty, Roberto Martínez blew me away in the conversation.

"It was unbelievable, the way he knew everything about my past, where I was most comfortable playing, so much about my career. He said he thought I had given too much defensively in the past, that if he was my manager he would rather I kept my energy for when we were attacking. The way he spoke about the game was amazing."

Naismith was to complete his Everton move but not before an important piece of housekeeping. "I texted him to say that I appreciated the call, how he had blown me away and I was very grateful, but I felt the best move for my career at that point was Everton," the Scot says.

"I did that with every manager I have spoken to. It's something I have learned over the years. Just be straight-up and honest. There's no point losing relationships with people. One year later, I am taking a phonecall at roughly the same time from the new manager at Everton. He said: 'If the mountain won't come to Muhammad then Muhammad must go to the mountain.'

"He has such good charisma and is such a good man-manager that you want to work for him. This season is the most I have learned football-wise in my whole career. David Moyes is a British-mentality manager, which I have seen a lot of. He was only tweaking and giving you a more advanced lesson on what you already knew. With the manager now, it is a totally new way of playing football. It opens your eyes to the fact football can be played in such a different way."

Not that Naismith would ever contemplate joining in the criticism of Moyes, which has reached deafening proportions since his switch to Manchester United. "He believed in me," Naismith says. "I was just coming back from a knee injury and he brought me to England. I loved the way David Moyes worked. He was the most thorough I have ever seen in preparing for anything. David Moyes was the first manager I had seen who was so hands-on, he took the majority of training every day.

"His standards were so high. I think my standards are high; if someone isn't pulling their weight in training then it annoys me. David Moyes would nail somebody for that and I liked it.

"Probably at the moment, a lot of Everton fans don't appreciate what he did for the club because the new manager has come in and hit the ground running, probably playing a more attractive brand of football. We have taken some big scalps this season. But I'm sure in 10-15 years' time we'll look at where the club was when he came in, where he left them, and nobody will argue how good a job he had done."

Under Martínez, Everton's major disappointment has been the 4-0 loss to Liverpool at Anfield in late January. "We didn't perform and it wasn't good enough," Naismith admits.

Naismith's on-field class, which he hopes to display once again when Everton take on Arsenal on Sunday, is matched by his character. He is an passionate supporter of charities, having sponsored a series of lunches for the homeless in both Glasgow and Liverpool, worked with Dyslexia Scotland and backed Help for Heroes.

"When I was injured at Rangers I got a letter from a soldier who was serving in Afghanistan, telling me he was gutted that I had done my knee," says Naismith. "He was out fighting for our country, I am just a sportsman trying to give entertainment to people. It is life or death for them, not win or lose.

"They should get all the support they need. You hear of so many servicemen coming out of the army struggling to get a job or get any help, struggling for homes. It's incredible that it can happen that way. It's not good enough."

In a professional sense, Naismith insists even matching last season's sixth-placed finish would constitute a fine achievement for a club who have been placed in the Merseyside shade by Liverpool's title charge. "I would say it had still been a very successful season because of the transition. It's not as if we had just changed manager after a couple of years, it was 11. A lot of these guys had seven years or more under David Moyes."

Naismith, now 27, only had one. What came next has been of mutual benefit.

Number of posts : 26901
Registration date : 2006-01-22

http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinchcliffe Corner Fri 04 Apr 2014, 12:42 pm

Bluejagz wrote:
He said he thought I had given too much defensively in the past, that if he was my manager he would rather I kept my energy for when we were attacking.

Seems to be working!
Hinchcliffe Corner
Hinchcliffe Corner

Number of posts : 2425
Registration date : 2006-01-27

http://www.phil-cooper.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Super Thu 24 Apr 2014, 11:51 am

Steven Naismith has been hailed as Everton FC’s “find of the season” after going from bit-part player to key-man.

The Scotland international struggled to hold down a regular first-team spot in his first year at Goodison, but has flourished under Roberto Martinez with nine goals so far this term.

Martinez has been thrilled with the 27-year-old's contribution, and reckons his intelligent approach has helped fuel the Toffees chase for fourth place.

He said: “I do believe that Steven Naismith has been the find of the season in terms of the level of performance he has brought to the side in that central position.

“We've seen the player that we all saw at Kilmarnock, emerging as an incredibly bright young footballer. He then went to Rangers and became a match-winner.
Super
Super

Number of posts : 38074
Registration date : 2005-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry Horne's Equaliser Thu 24 Apr 2014, 12:11 pm

Super wrote:Steven Naismith has been hailed as Everton FC’s “find of the season” after going from bit-part player to key-man.

The Scotland international struggled to hold down a regular first-team spot in his first year at Goodison, but has flourished under Roberto Martinez with nine goals so far this term.

Martinez has been thrilled with the 27-year-old's contribution, and reckons his intelligent approach has helped fuel the Toffees chase for fourth place.

He said: “I do believe that Steven Naismith has been the find of the season in terms of the level of performance he has brought to the side in that central position.

“We've seen the player that we all saw at Kilmarnock, emerging as an incredibly bright young footballer.  He then went to Rangers and became a match-winner.

It's amazing how he's transformed this season. You only need to read this thread to recognise how he was considered, what, two months ago. Astonishing that two different managers played him out of position for so long.

Number of posts : 13161

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next