606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wigan 1 Everton 1 (Anichebe)

+17
Yankthattoffee
Mr_Ben
hairy cataract
Lumper
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
Blue gazza
Made 4 Gwladys
ToffeeDan
Barry Horne's Equaliser
Synth_fg®
Dixie Land
fatboblatch
RhinoJagz
Sack the Juggler
Tonteau
SouthernSmugToffee
Bryan
21 posters

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

Wigan 1 Everton 1 (Anichebe) - Page 11 Empty Re: Wigan 1 Everton 1 (Anichebe)

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 04 Feb 2012, 6:06 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
mindyerho? wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:I blame Moyes for this. Ridiculously negative against the bottom club. Neville for Cahill was a joke substitution.

Cahill did his groin

I know the change was forced, but why bring on a defender for a player who is (nominally) playing up front? He had Vic and Jellyfish on the bench, we were playing the worst club in the league and he brings on Neville and pushes Fellaini upfront. It was only when Fellaini started dropping a bit deeper again and Vic came on that we had any attacking threat. It just seemed so negative to me. Even if Jello wasn't ready, the obvious move was to bring on Vic for the second half. I can only think that Moyes was reluctant to do that cos he had it fixed in his mind that he was going to bring the new man on for Stig of the Dump after 60 mins come what may.
Yeah, it was too negative of a move for me as well. We were slightly on top after the first half, and the game was open, crying out for a match winner. Neville is not one of those players.

And it wasn't many weeks ago we talked about how finally it appeared as if Moyes had learned to sub properly. Granted Vic was a good move, but it was also a forced one since we were down when Vic came on. Bahhhhhhhhhh.............
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74305
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sat 04 Feb 2012, 10:09 pm

Armchair Evertonian wrote:Timmy off, Pip on. Holding on for a point?

This is the reason DM has his critics.
Cahill goes off, so we then have a substitution which devalues 2 positions. Pip in Midfield, and then Fella up front.
Other options seemed to be so much better, without asking one of your best players to play out of position.
Bring on Vic to RM and Donovan moving to Cahill's role, or Jellyman straight in, or Drenthe adding other options.
Pip was the worst of all of these.
DM's mentality hasn't changed much.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Statman Sat 04 Feb 2012, 11:27 pm

Very important that we equalised. Maintains some of the momentum.

Would love to see us play more open football. Some of the Europa games a few seasons back were good to watch.
Statman
Statman

Number of posts : 7093
Registration date : 2005-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Statman Sun 05 Feb 2012, 12:31 am

Having just seen the Wigan goal I am struggling to blame Howard. It was, IMHO, a complete fluke. The ball just about did a left turn. You might well be pissed off about it but who could have expected that and who would have been able to adjust/react to keep it out?
Statman
Statman

Number of posts : 7093
Registration date : 2005-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal Blue Mersey Sun 05 Feb 2012, 9:18 am

Statman wrote:Having just seen the Wigan goal I am struggling to blame Howard. It was, IMHO, a complete fluke. The ball just about did a left turn. You might well be pissed off about it but who could have expected that and who would have been able to adjust/react to keep it out?
I agree, a bit of a fluke. In cricket terms might be described as a googly. It beat Tim ends up!
Royal Blue Mersey
Royal Blue Mersey

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sun 05 Feb 2012, 11:36 am

Yankthattoffee wrote:

Cahill goes off, so we then have a substitution which devalues 2 positions. Pip in Midfield, and then Fella up front.
Other options seemed to be so much better, without asking one of your best players to play out of position.
Bring on Vic to RM and Donovan moving to Cahill's role, or Jellyman straight in, or Drenthe adding other options.

He is still very defence-minded. I can see that he wants to dominate midfield and playing five there helps no end but against some of the lower teams it does seem rather negative. I would prefer to see an extra striker in place of Cahill when playing Wigan et al as he does not bring much to the team without his goals and in any case we need to start planning for the future without him.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22501
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sun 05 Feb 2012, 10:01 pm

Armchair Evertonian wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:

He is still very defence-minded. I can see that he wants to dominate midfield and playing five there helps no end but against some of the lower teams it does seem rather negative. I would prefer to see an extra striker in place of Cahill when playing Wigan et al as he does not bring much to the team without his goals and in any case we need to start planning for the future without him.
Couldn't agree more. Cahill has done great for us over the years, we shouldn't forget about that. However, since he never really had a "position" per se, it's now starting to work against him when he is no longer popping up in the box with goals. We, in my opinion, can't keep on playing a player based on his pst, we need to take teams like Wigan to the sword and playing two strikers. Simple as.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74305
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11