606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DAVID MOYES - ex Boss

+50
Goodison_Gringo
hairy cataract
Super
Lumper
Knight of Thorgothshire
RhinoJagz
Made 4 Gwladys
Armchair
Mr_Ben
Statman
Gravy & Chips
SEFTON
Helenqu
Bryan
Yankthattoffee
Hinchcliffe Corner
Merseyblue
The President
VenezuelaBlue
Michael Crosby S74
anticipate_the_pass
Royal Blue Mersey
Doc( Ninetoes )blue
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
fatboblatch
tadpole
My other LB is a Ferrari
Tonteau
Top Balcony Blue
Albert
BB
fourdoors
Valentino Blue
Cahill the Great
tadpole3
callmebubbles
SouthernSmugToffee
The Griffin
Garry Adams
ToffeeDan
Diamond
Sheep Flavour
Dixie Land
toffee_pies
He's Our Tater Not Yours
paul
MagicMike
detroitblue
Bluey
Mick-J-
54 posters

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

DAVID MOYES - ex Boss - Page 34 Empty Re: DAVID MOYES - ex Boss

Post  Sack the Juggler Mon 20 May 2013, 3:54 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Armchair Evertonian wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:Which managers have actually been successful (in the long term) in the PL recently?

Fergie. Previous experience: managing an unfashionable side in Scotland to trophies.
Wenger. Previous experience: small time French management

Err... Umm.. well all the Chelsea managers have been sacked, as have all the Citteh managers. Rafa fluked two trophies at the Shite on pens and spent about a quarter of a billion quid on players. Pardew had one good season. O'Neil was flavour of the month for years until everyone realised he was actually shit. Same with Mark Hughes. Same with Owen Coyle. Same with etc etc. Harry Redknapp was lucky to escape jail.

Moyes could be considered a success but he won fuck all in 11 years at Everton. Martinez has won a trophy but his side got relegated the same season. Laudrup has won a trophy but he's ruled himself out and is probably destined for Spain anyway.

Fact is, there is really no such thing as a successful manager. They all fail in the end except Fergie.

So it doesn't really matter who we get as long as he doesn't get us relegated and he flukes a trophy. Chances are he'll be gone in a few seasons anyway and we'll be going through this again.

Assuming all the above to be true, I'd like a manager who can take what Moyes has done and add some style and a decent striker. That's unlikely to be an internal candidate as they are all defenders apart from big Dunc who is a fucking nutter.

Martinez all the way. If he's available, anything else would be wilfully stupid on the part of the club.

Wigan are even shitter (and a league lower) now then when he took over. Other managers have done much more with similar amounts of money. Maybe he would be a success at Everton, but his track record at Wigan suggests otherwise.

He won the FA Cup and he's consistently played with great style despite having to rebuild his team every season thanks to losing players like Baines, Moses etc.

Wigan were going to go down eventually, whoever was in charge. He would inherit a solid defence at Everton and a relatively settled squad. He's clearly an intelligent manager - he comprehensively out-thought Mancini (and Moyes for that matter) in the FA Cup - and he deserves a shot. As Laudrup is out of the running, I really don't see why he wouldn't be first choice.
he has only won two games in the prem in 4 years... or whatever the stat really was.

seriously his teams start of shit and carry on being shit until about April, then they manage to throw a set of results together to just scrape to safety, you know that Moyes or even allardyce would have kept Wigan up with the players they had....

so... have we approached Moyes yet?
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Number of posts : 25877
Registration date : 2005-10-14

http://something-wild.org/gallery/Hotties3/aaa

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Mon 20 May 2013, 3:57 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:Which managers have actually been successful (in the long term) in the PL recently?

Fergie. Previous experience: managing an unfashionable side in Scotland to trophies.

Err... Umm.. well all the Chelsea managers have been sacked, as have all the Citteh managers. Rafa fluked two trophies at the Shite on pens and spent about a quarter of a billion quid on players. Pardew had one good season. O'Neil was flavour of the month for years until everyone realised he was actually shit. Same with Mark Hughes. Same with Owen Coyle. Same with etc etc. Harry Redknapp was lucky to escape jail.

Moyes could be considered a success but he won fuck all in 11 years at Everton. Martinez has won a trophy but his side got relegated the same season. Laudrup has won a trophy but he's ruled himself out and is probably destined for Spain anyway.

Fact is, there is really no such thing as a successful manager. They all fail in the end except Fergie.

So it doesn't really matter who we get as long as he doesn't get us relegated and he flukes a trophy. Chances are he'll be gone in a few seasons anyway and we'll be going through this again.

Assuming all the above to be true, I'd like a manager who can take what Moyes has done and add some style and a decent striker. That's unlikely to be an internal candidate as they are all defenders apart from big Dunc who is a fucking nutter.

Martinez all the way. If he's available, anything else would be wilfully stupid on the part of the club.

Wigan are even shitter (and a league lower) now then when he took over. Other managers have done much more with similar amounts of money. Maybe he would be a success at Everton, but his track record at Wigan suggests otherwise.

He won the FA Cup and he's consistently played with great style despite having to rebuild his team every season thanks to losing players like Baines, Moses etc.

Wigan were going to go down eventually, whoever was in charge. He would inherit a solid defence at Everton and a relatively settled squad. He's clearly an intelligent manager - he comprehensively out-thought Mancini (and Moyes for that matter) in the FA Cup - and he deserves a shot. As Laudrup is out of the running, I really don't see why he wouldn't be first choice.
he has only won two games in the prem in 4 years... or whatever the stat really was.

seriously his teams start of shit and carry on being shit until about April, then they manage to throw a set of results together to just scrape to safety, you know that Moyes or even allardyce would have kept Wigan up with the players they had....

Tell you what, I bet Bill hasn't given it as much thought as we have on this fucking board! And ManUre's decision making process apears to have been to ask Fergie what he thought and then say "oh, okay, could you give David a call then please Sir Alex?".

I think they should draw names out of a hat. Though I still favour an X Factor approach (with Blue Union and Toffeeweb members banned from voting).
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25826
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Mon 20 May 2013, 4:25 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Sack the Juggler wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

Tell you what, I bet Bill hasn't given it as much thought as we have on this fucking board! And ManUre's decision making process apears to have been to ask Fergie what he thought and then say "oh, okay, could you give David a call then please Sir Alex?".

I think they should draw names out of a hat. Though I still favour an X Factor approach (with Blue Union and Toffeeweb members banned from voting).
lol! fookin brilliant! Lets get Simon Cowell to organise it - we could call it "Britain's got a people's club manager somewhere, or maybe Europe has, hang on what about South America" or something catchy like that.
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Mon 20 May 2013, 4:56 pm

hairy cataract wrote:

The more I think about the more I think Martinez will be a mistake... I don't want him.. we deserve better than a man that got a team relegated.. fuck the FA cup, I want Premier league football... however, if we do appoint him I'll support him, but if he gets us relegated I will make it my mission to piss on his car

Number of posts : 40814

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Helenqu Mon 20 May 2013, 5:01 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:

The more I think about the more I think Martinez will be a mistake... I don't want him.. we deserve better than a man that got a team relegated.. fuck the FA cup, I want Premier league football... however, if we do appoint him I'll support him, but if he gets us relegated I will make it my mission to piss on his car

He wouldn't leave Whelan for a "small club" surely? Smile
Helenqu
Helenqu

Number of posts : 4895
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.silverchainsuk.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Fri 31 May 2013, 2:26 pm

The Daily Mail reports that David Moyes' changes of Manchester United's backroom staff is expected to continue with the arrival of Everton's academy manager Alan Irvine at Old Trafford.

Irvine was Everton assistant from 2002 to 2007 before returning to the club in July 2011 after three years managing at Sheffield Wednesday and Preston.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22502
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Fri 31 May 2013, 6:35 pm

The Daily Mail reports that David Moyes' changes of Manchester United's backroom staff is expected to continue with the arrival of Everton's academy manager Alan Irvine at Old Trafford.

Irvine was Everton assistant from 2002 to 2007 before returning to the club in July 2011 after three years managing at Sheffield Wednesday and Preston.
Cause for concern.
We keep convincing ourselves that we have a great structure in place for DM's replacement, yet it seems it's getting dismantled piece by piece. Surely BK made some provisions for this too? Rolling Eyes
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Helenqu Sat 01 Jun 2013, 8:34 am

I think for me this sums up Moyes' tenure at Everton perfectly:

http://www.grandoldteam.com/news/fans-view/2013/jun/01/in-moyes-we-trusted
Helenqu
Helenqu

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sat 01 Jun 2013, 9:00 am

Helenqu wrote:I think for me this sums up Moyes' tenure at Everton perfectly:

Good piece.
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 01 Jun 2013, 2:07 pm

Yep, that was a good read. And it's hard to argue with too much in that piece.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74305

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gravy & Chips Sat 01 Jun 2013, 6:38 pm

Can someone cut and paste.......it seems my IP address is banned from Grand Old Team, even thought I have never registered
Gravy & Chips
Gravy & Chips

Number of posts : 13355
Registration date : 2005-10-16

http://www.break.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Helenqu Sat 01 Jun 2013, 6:57 pm

Here you go:

In Moyes We Trusted

Written by chicoazul on Sat 1st June 13, 04:43

Note this isn´t a self loathing piece bemoaning the departure of our manager recently but was written at the request of a United site hoping to get an insight into their new manager, and presumably feel better about it as he goes about his business ripping apart their trusted backroom staff. Just wait until they´ve got everyone back for a corner in the ninetieth minute when they´re one nil down to Helsingborgs in the Champions League.

Nor was it written by me, it was wrote instead by valued forum contributor scratchnsurf.....

I’ll try not to bore you with too many details about Everton’s history. Save for the ’85 Cup Final I’m sure you’re not really arsed, but for the sake of providing some context; before Moyes was appointed, we were sh*te. Now that Moyes has left, we’re not. I’m guessing you’ll be looking for a little more of an in depth analysis than that, so here goes.

You’ll have heard the phrase ‘In Moyes We Trust’, a popular one with Blues for a while now, though it’s going out of fashion. Well we did; we trusted him to make the most of the pittance he was given to buy players with, we trusted him to help us maintain our status at English Football’s top table and we trusted him to help us keep that respect we had earned back for ourselves under his management. All well and good, but that alone probably isn’t going to cut it as Manchester United manager.

It’s fair to say that most Evertonians did not believe that Moyes would ever land himself a bigger job than Everton. That may seem like a surprising statement considering the transformation in our club’s fortunes under the guidance of the three times LMA manager of the year, but it’s true. The most obvious reason for this view was the honours that he had won. Aside from his personal achievements, the list of honours for teams he managed reads: Divison 2 Champions. Hardly an outstanding CV for clubs used to hauling in silverware on a regular basis. Of course, not only Evertonians will have worked this out, but in addition to this, we’ve had 11 years of watching his teams play and seeing his strengths and weaknesses pan out on the pitch in front of us.

Moyes works hard. He watches a lot of games and a lot of players and he demands that work ethic from others. His teams work hard, he gets the players to play for him and for each other and there have been very few occasions over the last 11 years when Everton didn’t look like they were putting the effort in. Moyes hates losing, and to be fair we didn’t lose all that often under him. The other side of that though, is that hating losing has lead to the accusation that Moyes would rather not lose than win and I think it’s fair to say that he has been a cautious and conservative manager.

Under Moyes, Everton have sometimes played some terrific football. At the start of this season we were playing some fantastic stuff, the best I’ve seen from us for years. However, if I’m honest this is far closer to the exception than the rule and there has been an awful lot of dross over the years. You might say that this is as much down to the players as it is the manager but I can’t exempt him from any responsibility over that. Apart from anything else, he bought the players. It would be hard to pin point a particular style or brand of football that Moyes employs. When it’s good, we move the ball on the floor quickly and try to get the ball into the box from wide positions. However, I’ve spent a lot of time over the past eleven years with my head in my hands for two main reasons. Firstly, when the pressure is on, we sit too deep and hoof it. Secondly, until this season with the acquisition of Mirallas and the development of Coleman, we have been a painfully slow side going forwards. Of course, more money to spend should equate to better players who are more comfortable on the ball, more players and therefore more options so I don’t really think that how we have played will be any sort of a model for how you will play. Except for that sitting deep when under pressure, keep an eye open for that.

Tactically, I have big doubts, if I’m honest. Moyes has, for a long time, favoured 4-5-1 but there rarely seems to be a plan B. He will shoe horn players into the formation if necessary due to injuries or suspensions and stick with players who are horribly out of form. I can’t really recall him making tactical changes during a game that have swayed things in our favour. Generally speaking we have been ‘in’ most games that we have played over recent seasons, but when we’re not Moyes hasn’t really been able to get a grip of the game by switching tactics, changing formation or personnel (see Wigan at home in the FA Cup this season). In fact, his substitutions have been a cause of much consternation. You can pretty much set your clock by when they would occur in the game, regardless of the situation and some of them, especially when chasing a game or pushing for a win have been astounding(ly bad). As for his assistants, well to be honest who knows. Irvine was highly regarded as assistant but went off to manage and didn’t do all that well. Fans seemed to like him, but he played for the club when we were ace. He now manages the academy (the road to nowhere). Everyone seems to hate Round, but then what does he expect wearing a blue tooth head set on match day? As for their ability as coaches, how would I know and I suspect most fans wouldn’t really know either.

So, onto Moyes and players then. His greatest strength has been the acquisition of players and there is no doubt he can spot a player. The great buys he has made for Everton are well known, but perhaps less well known are the players he has tried to buy but has not been able to thanks to our useless board. Dzeko and Hazard were both signings that he tried to make a good while before Chelsea and City splashed the cash. He’s been a long term admirer of Moutinho also. His achievements in building a team on next to nothing will probably never be matched. In the season that Everton finished fourth in the Premier League, we spent less than every other team in the league. That will never happen again (the finishing fourth bit; we’ll more than likely spend less than every other team on numerous occasions).

There is a doubt in my mind as far as you lot are concerned though, because picking up bargains and building them into a team isn’t really what managing Manchester United is about, if we’re honest. In short, his greatest strength isn’t one that you actually need. On the other hand, he does understand the team ethic and the importance of making sure that new signings will have the right attitude and mentality for his teams. Again, only time will tell but it will be interesting to see how he handles the egos of the players in your squad. In his favour, Moyes is well respected in the game in this country and he has a good core of older British players in the dressing room who will likely be onside already. The other aspect about Moyes and players to consider is youth. I’ll keep it simple, he’s not keen. Youth prospects seem to be primarily developed via the reserves and loans to other clubs and generally don’t seem to get an extended run in the first team, even when they appear to have done well in their cameos. Speaking of the products of our youth system, managing egos and dressing room strife, it’ll be interesting to see how that one pans out. Be aware though, he’s already binned Wayne off once so don’t get his name on the back of your shirts for next season.

At the onset of this piece, I alluded to the fact that we have doubts about whether Moyes will cut it at United. You probably have them too. I’ve mentioned the tactical side of things, but perhaps the biggest factor is that of mentality. Moyes has been labeled a ‘bottler’, which might seem harsh to you but there’s good reason for it. Everton have rarely really gone for it under Moyes, especially when it counts. Yes, we played City off the park at home this season, but what difference did it make?

When it counted, the week before in the FA Cup, we didn’t turn up. It’s not often that we didn’t turn up, but it did seem to be in the big matches. Away at United, Arsenal or Chelsea, derbies, cup games. Moyes plays the percentages well, but he hasn’t shown that big game mentality for those one off occasions when it matters that little bit more. How much more does it matter when you’re challenging for the title, or the Champion’s league? To many, Moyes seems a good fit for United; cut from the same cloth as Ferguson, work ethic, team builder, no one bigger than the club. In twelve months time, these attributes may well seem somewhat less important without the tangible success of winning trophies.

So I’ve blathered on for long enough now to start thinking about some sort of conclusions to give you an indication of what to expect. Reasonable Evertonians have great respect for Moyes. He turned us from relegation candidates into challengers for Europe. In short he gave us back some respect for ourselves. Despite the despair at the names linked with us, before United came calling more than a few of us felt that things had run their course and it was time to move on.

Most would have loved him to have won something whilst with us, not just for ourselves but because we feel he deserved it, but the fact is that he didn’t and if I’m honest it’s because he didn’t make the most of the opportunities presented. He will no doubt have more of those opportunities at United. We will see what he makes of them.

Read more: http://www.grandoldteam.com/news/fans-view/2013/jun/01/in-moyes-we-trusted#ixzz2UzLW4JeL
Helenqu
Helenqu

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Wed 05 Jun 2013, 5:43 pm

DAVID MOYES - ex Boss - Page 34 435650

DAVID MOYES - ex Boss - Page 34 F_laugh DAVID MOYES - ex Boss - Page 34 F_laugh

Number of posts : 40814

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dixie Land Wed 05 Jun 2013, 7:58 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote: DAVID MOYES - ex Boss - Page 34 435650

DAVID MOYES - ex Boss - Page 34 F_laugh DAVID MOYES - ex Boss - Page 34 F_laugh

Yeah, get this ginger, Manure bastard off our board!!! cheers cheers cheers

There's only one Roberto *

* (apart from Mancini, Di Mateo, Carlos, Baggio... and quite a few others to be honest).
Dixie Land
Dixie Land

Number of posts : 20992
Registration date : 2006-01-07

http://www.myspace.com/dixieland1978

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue gazza Thu 06 Jun 2013, 10:00 am

Off off off off off Very Happy DAVID MOYES - ex Boss - Page 34 435650
Blue gazza
Blue gazza

Number of posts : 8008

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue gazza Sat 08 Jun 2013, 2:21 pm

How come moyes is making signings for man utd when he is an Everton employee until 30th june????

i hope we aint still paying him Mad
Blue gazza
Blue gazza

Number of posts : 8008

Back to top Go down

Post  Lumper Sat 08 Jun 2013, 2:52 pm

Blueberto wrote:How come moyes is making signings for man utd when he is an Everton employee until 30th june????

i hope we aint still paying him Mad

That player had a trial with United last season. Fergie is still pulling the strings.
Lumper
Lumper

Number of posts : 6833
Registration date : 2007-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Helenqu Sun 11 Aug 2013, 2:05 pm

Feels very odd watching him with United. Like seeing a former partner with someone else!
Helenqu
Helenqu

Back to top Go down

Post  Helenqu Sun 11 Aug 2013, 3:54 pm

Moyes just got his first bit of silverware. 2-0.
Helenqu
Helenqu

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Thu 15 Aug 2013, 1:53 pm

Moyes is following in SAF's footsteps by whinging about fixture list.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23710359
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  SEFTON Thu 15 Aug 2013, 3:07 pm

Armchair Evertonian wrote:Moyes is following in SAF's footsteps by whinging about fixture list.

Will Moyes get a contract with Wrigley's ?lol! 
SEFTON
SEFTON

Number of posts : 10591
Registration date : 2007-10-31

http://www.evertonfc.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Thu 15 Aug 2013, 11:45 pm

sefton wrote:
Armchair Evertonian wrote:Moyes is following in SAF's footsteps by whinging about fixture list.

and Moyesytime doesn't have a ring to it.....................................yet.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Fri 16 Aug 2013, 9:08 am

Yankthattoffee wrote:
sefton wrote:

and Moyesytime doesn't have a ring to it.....................................yet.
it'll probably be "Moyes Minutes"
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sack the Juggler Wed 18 Sep 2013, 3:41 pm

looks like United are putting the blame for the transfer policy squarely on Moyes's shoulders

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24149643

on another note... Moyes looks like he's in a dream in that picture, staring off into the distance like he's in shock, like he can't believe he's been given the keys to the castle and a six year contract - so even if he relegates them he's set for life

DAVID MOYES - ex Boss - Page 34 _69917199_david-moyes-pa
Sack the Juggler
Sack the Juggler

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Thu 19 Sep 2013, 1:38 pm

Saccum Praestigiatorum wrote:looks like United are putting the blame for the transfer policy squarely on Moyes's shoulders

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24149643

on another note... Moyes looks like he's in a dream in that picture, staring off into the distance like he's in shock, like he can't believe he's been given the keys to the castle and a six year contract - so even if he relegates them he's set for life

DAVID MOYES - ex Boss - Page 34 _69917199_david-moyes-pa
In all fairness he was set for life before he joined Utd. He's been with us for 11 years and he was the highest earner, or at least one of the top earners.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74305

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next