606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Birmingham 0 Everton 2 (o.g. Cahill)

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Go down

Birmingham 0 Everton 2 (o.g. Cahill) Empty Birmingham 0 Everton 2 (o.g. Cahill)

Post  He's Our Tater Not Yours on Mon 27 Sep 2010, 3:12 pm

Same as Fulham please, just with a goal for us this time.

Personally, I see the Fulham game as a bit of a turning point. Rather than the team looking fundamentally wrong, it was more of a case of not scoring, which although still worrying, it's a starting point none the less.

If Cahill is 100%, I'd be more than happy to start with the same team as we did versus Fulham. If not, I'd love to see Beckford in a 4-4-2 formation. I'm still holding out hope for him as in his limited chances so far, I don't think we've created a single goal scoring chance for him. If not Beckford, then I'm keen to see Bily given the role behind Yak, or worst case scenario, Osman there.

Howard
Neville Jagielka Distin Baines
Coleman Arteta Fellaini Pienaar
Cahill/Beckford/Bily
Yakubu

Im confident of us not getting beat, not confident enough to predict a win though.
Tempted to predict another 0-0 draw, but going to go for 1-1. Wouldn't be surprised if we won by 1 goal though.
He's Our Tater Not Yours
He's Our Tater Not Yours

Number of posts : 9158
Registration date : 2005-10-17

Back to top Go down

Birmingham 0 Everton 2 (o.g. Cahill) Empty Re: Birmingham 0 Everton 2 (o.g. Cahill)

Post  Super on Mon 27 Sep 2010, 4:26 pm

Another weekend and another potential our season starts now!! Can we take anything from Tim Howard’s 68th shut-out for Everton in all competitions and our first clean sheet of the season?

We are currently on a run of 4 away Premier League matches without a goal, getting close to our worst run of 6, dating back to Aug-Nov 1994.

Birmingham away next on the 2nd October, a date that has witnessed an Everton defeat in each of the last 3 games we have played on this date. Our record against Birmingham at St Andrews in the Prem is currently 2-3-1, will we get our 3rd away in Premier League to them this weekend? Well the omens are probably on our side, but why?

The last time we beat Birmingham away was on the 29th Oct 2005, so why is this game important? Well that day we started bottom of the Premier League having only got 4pts from the first nine Premier League games. Simon Davies hit the only goal that day (in fact his only goal for Everton) and we were off the bottom of the league.

That win prompted a little run that saw us pick up 10 points from the next 5 games (a run that included a 4-0 defeat to WBA).

COYB’s
Super
Super

Number of posts : 37147
Registration date : 2005-12-06

Back to top Go down

Birmingham 0 Everton 2 (o.g. Cahill) Empty Re: Birmingham 0 Everton 2 (o.g. Cahill)

Post  Da Judge on Mon 27 Sep 2010, 4:30 pm

He's Our Tater Not Yours wrote:Same as Fulham please, just with a goal for us this time.

Personally, I see the Fulham game as a bit of a turning point. Rather than the team looking fundamentally wrong, it was more of a case of not scoring, which although still worrying, it's a starting point none the less.

If Cahill is 100%, I'd be more than happy to start with the same team as we did versus Fulham. If not, I'd love to see Beckford in a 4-4-2 formation. I'm still holding out hope for him as in his limited chances so far, I don't think we've created a single goal scoring chance for him. If not Beckford, then I'm keen to see Bily given the role behind Yak, or worst case scenario, Osman there.

Howard
Neville Jagielka Distin Baines
Coleman Arteta Fellaini Pienaar
Cahill/Beckford/Bily
Yakubu

Im confident of us not getting beat, not confident enough to predict a win though.
Tempted to predict another 0-0 draw, but going to go for 1-1. Wouldn't be surprised if we won by 1 goal though.

Fulham played a very high defensive line that would have allowed Beckford to run onto the balls that we placed behind the line. I have a sneaky suspicion that Birmingham play deeper and that means its more likely we will be passing into feet and expecting the striker to hold, control and unlock a midfielder... I would stick with the Yak - I would seriously think about using Gueye (unknown quantity) if Cahill is not 100% (all the lads will need to be 100%)

The man who is prepared to wear a Shoite top IF, AND ONLY IF, you are prepared to cough the £25,000. Its true it was broadcast on National Radio!!
Da Judge
Da Judge

Number of posts : 9005
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://mlb.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=nyy

Back to top Go down

Post  Lumper on Mon 27 Sep 2010, 4:36 pm

Phil dowd in charge. Is usually kind to us.
Lumper
Lumper

Number of posts : 6564
Registration date : 2007-12-09

Back to top Go down

Post  callmebubbles on Mon 27 Sep 2010, 6:14 pm

Nailed on for a 1-1. Get your money on now!!
callmebubbles
callmebubbles

Number of posts : 4914
Registration date : 2006-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post  The President on Mon 27 Sep 2010, 7:41 pm

Birmingham haven't lost at home for a year.

Time to change that

0-2 Everton (Yak to get both) cheers
The President
The President

Number of posts : 11907
Registration date : 2005-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair on Mon 27 Sep 2010, 8:45 pm

0-0
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 20424
Registration date : 2006-06-01

http://www.heavyrotation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheep Flavour on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 2:35 pm

3-2 Brum.

BK to say he is on the verge of selling the club.

Neville to say next week this is the best team under EFC he has played and the players are ready for the next game and up and jumping for the next win.
Sheep Flavour
Sheep Flavour

Number of posts : 4020
Registration date : 2005-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr_Ben on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 5:53 pm

1-1 us to go in front then brum to level before half time.

Can't see any changes to the team that played last week unless Cahill is injured
Mr_Ben
Mr_Ben

Number of posts : 18404
Registration date : 2005-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 3:46 pm

STATS
This is a fixture Everton have enjoyed the better of over the years. The Toffees have prevailed 60 times in all competitions, compared to Birmingham’s 26 wins. There have been 34 draws, including two last season. Since the start of the Premier League, Everton have lost just once in 12 meetings, beating them four times and drawing the other seven.

THEM AND US
With so many players having worn both shades of Blue, we have this week opted for an ex-Everton/Birmingham XI. We have gone for an adventurous 3-4-3 formation.

In goal we have Thomas Myhre, who played more than 80 times for the Blues and qualifies having played seven times while on loan at St Andrews. The back three is made up of Matt Jackson, Carl Tiler and our skipper Gary Ablett. Jackson and Tiler both spent time on loan at Birmingham, but Ablett made more than 100 appearances for both clubs. On the right flank we have asked Marcus Bent to do a job – as he often has done there during his nomadic career. Anders Limpar – who had a short stint at Brum at the tail-end of his career – adds guile on the left. Meanwhile, doing the leg-work in the centre are midfielders Barry Horne and Mark Ward. Our three-pronged strikeforce is spearheaded by targetman Mike Newell, while Andy Johnson and legend Bob Latchford join him up front. And on a rather striker-dominated bench we have: Michael Branch, Wayne Clarke, Jimmy Harris, Fred Pickering, David Burrows and Paul Holmes. And as we need a manager we'll give Howard Kendall the job, seeing as he played for both before later managing the Toffees.

LAST MEETING
A goal from Yakubu and a screamer from fellow Nigerian Victor Anichebe had Everton 2-0 up inside 22 minutes at St Andrews in March, but the hosts came back to draw 2-2. Cameron Jerome pulled one back almost immediately and Craig Gardner grabbed the equaliser early in the second half.

TEAM NEWS
Birmingham City’s major injury problem concerns ex-Everton man James McFadden, who is out for at least six months after damaging an anterior cruciate ligament. Midfielder Craig Gardner is suspended after being sent off against Wigan last week.

Everton will be without Jack Rodwell (ankle), Louis Saha (calf/knee) and Victor Anichebe (knee), whilst Tony Hibbert (groin) remains a doubt.

FORM
Birmingham have been solid if unspectacular so far this season – especially at home. They kicked off with a 2-1 win over Blackburn and then drew 0-0 with Liverpool and Wigan. Away from home they have drawn with Sunderland and Bolton and lost at West Brom.

THE MANAGER
Alex McLeish played as a central defender for Aberdeen during their 1980s glory years, making nearly 500 League appearances for the club, and won 77 caps for Scotland. He started his managerial career with spells at Motherwell and Hibernian, before guiding Rangers to two championships and five cup wins in five years. McLeish spent 10 months as manager of Scotland but resigned his post in November 2007 to become manager of Birmingham. Brum were relegated at the end of the 2007–08 season, but McLeish guided the club to promotion back to the Premier League the following season and to a ninth place finish last term.

KEY MAN
More than a few eyebrows were raised when Birmingham managed to complete a loan deal for Barcelona midfielder Alex Hleb. The talented Belarussian midfielder is tidy in possession, can go past players and pops up with the odd goal.

GOAL THREAT
Cameron Jerome has taken a fair bit of time to settle following his move from Cardiff City. The former England Under-21 striker was prolific for the Bluebirds but struggled to replicate that form following a £4.5m switch to St Andrews. Last season he notched 11 Premier League goals including strikes against Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United and, of course, Everton.

THE REFEREE
Phil Dowd was promoted to the Premier League list in 2001 and the 2010-11 season is his 11th year refereeing the top flight of English football. Encouragingly for Everton, in his last 11 league games officiating Birmingham, Dowd has awarded seven penalties against them.
Super
Super

Back to top Go down

Post  The Griffin on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 4:24 pm

callmebubbles wrote:Nailed on for a 1-1. Get your money on now!!

that's a ten goal thriller guaranteed, then!
The Griffin
The Griffin

Number of posts : 4994
Registration date : 2008-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 5:28 pm

The Griffin wrote:
callmebubbles wrote:Nailed on for a 1-1. Get your money on now!!

that's a ten goal thriller guaranteed, then!
lol! lol! I'd take 4-6 at the moment! Birmingham 0 Everton 2 (o.g. Cahill) Action-s
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 70482

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fatboblatch on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 6:19 pm

We are definitely gonna win this, marked my words!!!! Refer back to this post when we do!!
fatboblatch
fatboblatch

Number of posts : 1514
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 6:39 pm

fatboblatch wrote:We are definitely gonna win this, marked my words!!!! Refer back to this post when we do!!
You are not the first to say this mate. Wink

Cue the both of us looking like fools come Saturday...
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 70482

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoJagz on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 6:50 pm

If we get our rally calls right I reckon we can sneak a 0-0. Another Saturday afternoon not to sit infront of Soccer Saturday. Think I may clean the toilet bowls this week.

Number of posts : 26901
Registration date : 2006-01-22

http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Crosby S74 on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 8:37 pm

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
fatboblatch wrote:We are definitely gonna win this, marked my words!!!! Refer back to this post when we do!!
You are not the first to say this mate. Wink

Cue the both of us looking like fools come Saturday...

I'm going so they best had win.
Michael Crosby S74
Michael Crosby S74

Number of posts : 28005
Registration date : 2005-10-13

http://www.myspace.com/mtcefc

Back to top Go down

Post  Albert on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 9:42 pm

we wont score and get beat 2-0
Albert
Albert

Number of posts : 15653
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Hinchcliffe Corner on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 10:45 pm

I can see another run of 1-0's coming up soon
Hinchcliffe Corner
Hinchcliffe Corner

Number of posts : 2425
Registration date : 2006-01-27

http://www.phil-cooper.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 11:20 pm

treblA wrote:we wont score and get beat 2-0

I agree, we'll score and win 2-1.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15253
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Dixie Land on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 11:25 pm

Tonteau wrote:

I also agree, we wont score and draw. 0-0.
Dixie Land
Dixie Land

Number of posts : 20992
Registration date : 2006-01-07

http://www.myspace.com/dixieland1978

Back to top Go down

Post  Statman on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 11:36 pm

Dixie Land wrote:
Tonteau wrote:

I also agree, we wont score and draw. 0-0.

I disagree, it will be a no score draw.
Statman
Statman

Number of posts : 7091
Registration date : 2005-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  mindyerEnvelopeRef? on Fri 01 Oct 2010, 12:59 am

2-1, at least one of which will be controversial and earn the FA another beer kitty Moyes another $8000 fine
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
mindyerEnvelopeRef?

Number of posts : 17435
Registration date : 2006-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  The President on Fri 01 Oct 2010, 7:15 am

Even after this from Lawro:

I'm still going for 0-2 Everton

Birmingham v Everton

I think I'm right in saying this weekend marks a year since Birmingham were last beaten at home in the league, which is a tremendous achievement.

So they'll lose this one.

It's just the way football is. Everton, rock bottom of the league, will go there and win. It's just one of those ironies in football.

I've seen Everton a few times this season and they have actually played well at times and dominated in matches without getting the right result. That will change this weekend.

Prediction: 0-2
The President
The President

Number of posts : 11907
Registration date : 2005-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Fri 01 Oct 2010, 1:28 pm

TEAM NEWS
Birmingham are without the suspended Craig Gardner as he starts a three-match ban following his sending-off against Wigan last weekend. Keith Fahey is expected to be recalled to the left-side of midfield, with Lee Bowyer moving to a central position.

Everton boss David Moyes has reported "one or two doubts" but refused to name the individuals concerned. Tony Hibbert could return from a groin injury, although Leon Osman is still a concern with bruised ribs.

Birmingham
Suspended: Gardner (three matches)
Injured: McFadden (knee), Michel (dead leg)

Everton
Doubtful: Osman (ribs)
Injured: Anichebe (knee), Rodwell (ankle), Saha (calf)

MATCH PREVIEW
A trip to fortress St Andrew's is possibly the last fixture David Moyes' Everton need right now. The Toffees are the only side in the entire Football League without a league victory this season, whereas Birmingham equalled a club record last weekend of 18 top-flight home league matches without defeat. If Birmingham are to break that record, they will have to do so without suspended top-scorer Craig Gardner. The midfielder has chipped in with three Premier League goals so far this season, one of five Blues players to have scored in the league this season. However, none of Alex McLeish's raft of summer signings have yet managed to find the net in a top-flight match, much to the dismay of Birmingham supporters, some of them booed new striker Nikola Zigic when he appeared as substitute in the goalless draw with Wigan at St Andrew's last Saturday.

Perennial slow starters Everton have also glanced towards the history books this week. The Toffees have twice begun the month of October at the bottom of the Premier League, but survived on both times. They were winless in their opening 12 matches of the 1994/95 season before eventually finishing 15th. Then, five years ago, David Moyes' side also had three points from six games as they entered October. By the season's end, Everton had recovered to finish 11th, with Birmingham one of the three clubs relegated.

MATCH FACTS

Head-to-head
• Everton have traditionally enjoyed the upper-hand in this fixture, with 58 league wins, to Birmingham's 24.
• Alex McLeish and David Moyes have clashed as managers on three previous occasions, all of which have ended in draws.
• Birmingham's only victory over Everton in 12 Premier League meetings was a 3-0 home win in February 2004.

Birmingham
• Birmingham's last defeat at St Andrew's was over a calendar year ago, a 2-1 defeat by Bolton on 26 September 2009. Since then they have won eight and drawn 10 of 18 Premier League games.
• The Blues have drawn two of their three home games 0-0 this season.
• Alex McLeish's side have won just two of their 16 Premier League matches. That run started with a home draw against Everton.
• Cameron Jerome has been caught offside 11 times this season, a Premier League high along with Dimitar Berbatov.

Everton
• Everton are the only Premier League side not to have scored an away league goal this season.
• Despite their slow start to the new campaign the Toffees have not lost by more than one goal in a league-high 30 matches.
• Tim Cahill is one short of 100 English league goals.
• If selected, Mikel Arteta will join Cesc Fabregas, Pepe Reina and Ivan Campo by becoming the fourth Spaniard to play in 150 Premier League matches.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Birmingham
Gardner: 4 goals (3 league)

Everton
Cahill: 2 goals (2 league)

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Phil Dowd
Assistant referees: Dean Mohareb & David Richardson
Fourth official: Mark Halsey

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Birmingham (D 0-0 v Wigan, h): Foster, Carr, Johnson, Dann, Ridgewell, Larsson, Ferguson, Gardner, Bowyer (Zigic 61), Hleb (Beausejour 62), Jerome (Phillips 78). Subs Not Used: Taylor, Derbyshire, Fahey, Jiranek.

Everton (D 0-0 v Fulham, a): Howard, Coleman (Bilyaletdinov 88), Jagielka, Distin, Baines, Neville, Fellaini, Arteta, Pienaar, Cahill (Osman 62), Yakubu. Subs Not Used: Mucha, Heitinga, Beckford, Gueye, Barkley.

Super
Super

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Fri 01 Oct 2010, 1:39 pm

Tony Hibbert could return to Everton's squad for the game at Birmingham. Everton manager David Moyes said the full-back has trained this week but revealed he heads to St Andrew's with 'one or two doubts' over which players will be available. Moyes wouldn't be drawn on the identity of the potential absentees but did reveal that Louis Saha would return from a treatment centre in France next week.

At Fulham last weekend the Everton chief welcomed back Tim Cahill following a knee injury, with the Australian lasting just over an hour. Hibbert missed the match at Craven Cottage with a groin problem. "Tony has trained, he should be okay," said the manager on Friday. Moyes is set to be without Saha, Jack Rodwell and Victor Anichebe, the trio who are continuing their returns from calf, ankle and knee problems respectively.

The Blues boss said at his pre-match press conference: "We have one or two doubts which I will need to check out tomorrow. "Louis is away at his camp in France trying to get fit. He should be back next week."

Everton: Howard, Mucha, Neville, Hibbert, Coleman, Jagielka, Distin, Heitinga, Baines, Bilyaletdinov, Osman, Arteta, Cahill, Pienaar, Fellaini, Barkley, Beckford, Yakubu, Gueye.
Super
Super

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum