606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

+33
Valentino Blue
Gravy & Chips
WellOilBeefHooked
Lumper
Tonteau
Royal Blue Mersey
anticipate_the_pass
Dixie Land
My other LB is a Ferrari
SEFTON
hairy cataract
Sack the Juggler
Armchair
Knight of Thorgothshire
Super
Barry Horne's Equaliser
SouthernSmugToffee
The President
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
Made 4 Gwladys
Yankthattoffee
Albert
Helenqu
Goodison_Gringo
Blue gazza
Doc( Ninetoes )blue
Hinchcliffe Corner
Statman
Mr_Ben
Cahill the Great
Merseyblue
fourdoors
ToffeeDan
37 posters

Page 5 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20 ... 36  Next

Go down

ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?) - Page 5 Empty Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  Helenqu Thu 06 Feb 2014, 7:21 am

Another fan perspective on Bobby M

http://footyscene.com/martinez-man-engulfed-everton-jamie-davies/
Helenqu
Helenqu

Number of posts : 4895
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.silverchainsuk.co.uk

Back to top Go down

ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?) - Page 5 Empty Re: ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?)

Post  The President Thu 06 Feb 2014, 9:25 am

Helenqu wrote:Another fan perspective on Bobby M

http://footyscene.com/martinez-man-engulfed-everton-jamie-davies/

Good Read ..thanks helen
The President
The President

Number of posts : 11907
Registration date : 2005-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc( Ninetoes )blue Sun 16 Feb 2014, 9:23 pm

Had to chuckle about this "He said: "Steven took a knock and had delayed concussion. He felt fine initially and was then dizzy. He couldn't remember that he scored - so I told him he scored from 40 yards.
Doc( Ninetoes )blue
Doc( Ninetoes )blue

Number of posts : 2806

Back to top Go down

Post  mindyerEnvelopeRef? Sun 16 Feb 2014, 9:54 pm

Doc( Ninetoes )blue wrote:Had to chuckle about this "He said: "Steven took a knock and had delayed concussion. He felt fine initially and was then dizzy. He couldn't remember that he scored - so I told him he scored from 40 yards.

lol! 
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
mindyerEnvelopeRef?

Number of posts : 17435
Registration date : 2006-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Blue gazza Mon 17 Feb 2014, 2:12 am

Doc( Ninetoes )blue wrote:Had to chuckle about this "He said: "Steven took a knock and had delayed concussion. He felt fine initially and was then dizzy. He couldn't remember that he scored - so I told him he scored from 40 yards.

brilliant, i could never imagine the ginger one doing that.
Blue gazza
Blue gazza

Number of posts : 8008
Registration date : 2005-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Mon 17 Feb 2014, 8:42 pm

That's fantastic!  cheers cheers lol! lol! lol! 
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74305

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Wed 12 Mar 2014, 9:57 pm

The Spaniard was frustrated by an incident in Saturday's 4-1 FA Cup quarter-final defeat at Arsenal which saw the Toffees, with Gunners midfielder Mikel Arteta on the turf claiming he was injured following a tackle from Seamus Coleman, opt to kick the ball out even though referee Mark Clattenburg had allowed play to continue.
Martinez does not want his "fair" team emulating the antics of Arteta, who appeared to be unhurt, but is keen for them to learn from the episode.
"It was a frustrating moment for me," Martinez, quoted by the Liverpool Echo, said.
"It's not that we're too nice, it's that we're a fair team. It's important for us, though, to identity when people are playing with that and trying to take advantage.
"We just need to make sure it doesn't cost us. I don't care about us using it but we need to know how not to get disadvantaged by it.
"I'll never compromise what we represent in terms of winning games. But if you have a player that wants to lay on the pitch and moan to the referee we shouldn't stop the game. Mikel used that to his advantage and we need to be aware of that.
"We should punish that sort of reaction and behaviour with penetrating football and using the players we have on the pitch. It's a lesson to be learned. But it's a learning curve."
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Wed 12 Mar 2014, 10:16 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:The Spaniard was frustrated by an incident in Saturday's 4-1 FA Cup quarter-final defeat at Arsenal which saw the Toffees, with Gunners midfielder Mikel Arteta on the turf claiming he was injured following a tackle from Seamus Coleman, opt to kick the ball out even though referee Mark Clattenburg had allowed play to continue.
Martinez does not want his "fair" team emulating the antics of Arteta, who appeared to be unhurt, but is keen for them to learn from the episode.
"It was a frustrating moment for me," Martinez, quoted by the Liverpool Echo, said.
"It's not that we're too nice, it's that we're a fair team. It's important for us, though, to identity when people are playing with that and trying to take advantage.
"We just need to make sure it doesn't cost us. I don't care about us using it but we need to know how not to get disadvantaged by it.
"I'll never compromise what we represent in terms of winning games. But if you have a player that wants to lay on the pitch and moan to the referee we shouldn't stop the game. Mikel used that to his advantage and we need to be aware of that.
"We should punish that sort of reaction and behaviour with penetrating football and using the players we have on the pitch. It's a lesson to be learned. But it's a learning curve."
my take on this ... taken from the match thread was....

Spoiler:

Number of posts : 40814

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  mindyerEnvelopeRef? Thu 13 Mar 2014, 3:22 pm

Made FooFoo Gwladys wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:The Spaniard was frustrated by an incident in Saturday's 4-1 FA Cup quarter-final defeat at Arsenal which saw the Toffees, with Gunners midfielder Mikel Arteta on the turf claiming he was injured following a tackle from Seamus Coleman, opt to kick the ball out even though referee Mark Clattenburg had allowed play to continue.

Spoiler:

extra adjective there. 'soft' is redundant. On saturday he was just a cunt
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
mindyerEnvelopeRef?

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo Thu 13 Mar 2014, 4:18 pm

mindyerho? wrote:
Made FooFoo Gwladys wrote:

Spoiler:

extra adjective there. 'soft' is redundant. On saturday he was just a cunt

Bit extreme. He's just a modern day footballer.

On second thoughts, perhaps you're right then.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 4506
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Post  The President Fri 14 Mar 2014, 10:51 pm

Roberto Martinez's side are six points better off than at the same stage of last season.
The President
The President

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Fri 14 Mar 2014, 11:32 pm

The President wrote:Roberto Martinez's side are six points better off than at the same stage of last season.
And they lost their best players.
Spoiler:
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  The President Sat 15 Mar 2014, 9:53 am

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
The President wrote:Roberto Martinez's side are six points better off than at the same stage of last season.
Spoiler:

lol! 

I meant us Everton  ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?) - Page 5 Action-s 
The President
The President

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 15 Mar 2014, 12:21 pm

The President wrote:
Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
Spoiler:

lol! 

I meant us Everton  ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?) - Page 5 Action-s 
 Laughing Oh, OK.  cheers 
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  mindyerEnvelopeRef? Sat 22 Mar 2014, 2:17 pm

http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-footballer/16085/martinez-to-put-the-squeeze-on-title-rivals/

lol! 

read it, it explains the title! (who'd have thought it?)
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
mindyerEnvelopeRef?

Back to top Go down

Post  The President Sat 22 Mar 2014, 2:25 pm

mindyerho? wrote:http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-footballer/16085/martinez-to-put-the-squeeze-on-title-rivals/

lol! 

Anyway, at one end of Goodison Park, I chipped a ball toward the goal as we were jogging towards the tunnel and it clipped the top of the crossbar before hitting a huge fella, who was walking down the stairs, squarely on the cheek.

If I’d had another 1,000 attempts, I don’t think I could do it again
Rather than kicking off, he looked up, clocked me with my hand in the air and stuck two thumbs up over his head while wearing a huge grin. It was meant to be. If I’d had another 1,000 attempts, I don’t think I could do it again. He endeared me to Everton fans after that.

ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?) - Page 5 Action-s 
The President
The President

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 22 Mar 2014, 11:14 pm

mindyerho? wrote:http://www.thesecretfootballer.com/articles/the-secret-footballer/16085/martinez-to-put-the-squeeze-on-title-rivals/

lol! 

Cheers for posting that link. A great read.  ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?) - Page 5 Food-smi ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?) - Page 5 Food-smi 
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Mon 24 Mar 2014, 11:56 am

RM lines up Marriner for his next game at GP. Good bit of psychology here,
(btw I can see the red card being transferred to Ox-Cha, but I can't see a defense for saying it may have been going wide. Ox-Cha clearly thought it was going in, otherwise why the handball? )

"Martinez believes referees should be given some leeway in terms of the errors they make and does not believe new rules should be introduced to make greater user of technology.
"I wouldn't think you should put something in place if that happens again because it is so rare and I think at that moment the referee was completely sure," said the Toffees boss.
"I think we would be going a little bit too far. I think goalline technology was a really important breakthrough but from that point on I think we need to allow referees to do their job.
"I am sure in that incident he would have listened to the players and listened to the fourth official to try to get some help, but you need to be strong.
"Andre Marriner has incredible experience and it was one of those situations that happens in football.
"We have an elite group (of referees) in our league and for me it is one of the best in world football.
"We need to increase that group and help them have good training and development but we need to let them get on with their job.
"Errors are part of the game and there will be errors, misjudgments and mistakes but that is part of football and you need to accept it because that is what makes football what it is.
"It should be part of the game. It is not a black and white decision at times, it is a little bit more of interpretation.
"I think we need to rely on the referees and I think the referees in this country are as good as they get."
In Saturday's incident Oxlade-Chamberlain tried to tell Marriner he was the guilty party but the referee stuck to his original decision to send off Gibbs.
Martinez said that was a good rather than bad example of the relationship between players and referees.
"I think there is a really good relationship and referees are the ones to praise in that respect," he added.
"I've seen a lot of leagues around the world and referees don't want to be seen to be talking to the players because they think it means they lose power.
"I think the relationship in the British game is as good as it gets in world football maybe because the referee can trust the players a bit more.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry Horne's Equaliser Mon 24 Mar 2014, 12:17 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:RM lines up Marriner for his next game at GP.  Good bit of psychology here,
(btw I can see the red card being transferred to Ox-Cha, but I can't see a defense for saying it may have been going wide. Ox-Cha clearly thought it was going in, otherwise why the handball? )

It depends on whether 'intent' forms any part of the rule, which I don't think it does. If the rule is as straightforward as whether or not the player denied a clear goalscoring opportunity, then the answer is no he didn't and therefore there should have been no red card.

Number of posts : 13161

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Mon 24 Mar 2014, 2:28 pm

Barry Horne's Equaliser wrote:
Yankthattoffee wrote:RM lines up Marriner for his next game at GP.  Good bit of psychology here,

It depends on whether 'intent' forms any part of the rule, which I don't think it does. If the rule is as straightforward as whether or not the player denied a clear goalscoring opportunity, then the answer is no he didn't and therefore there should have been no red card.

This is true. As is the fact that, when a player who is last man brings down an attacker in the box, it shouldn't ever be a red because he's NOT denying him a clear goalscoring opportunity - the penno IS a clear goalscoring opportunity - whereas a free-kick outside the box is not a clear etc, so should result in a red card if the offence was not in the penalty area.

The red card should not be transferred to Ox, it should be struck out completely and replaced with a yellow for Ox.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25826

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernSmugToffee Mon 24 Mar 2014, 2:35 pm

hairberto cataract wrote:

This is true.  As is the fact that, when a player who is last man brings down an attacker in the box, it shouldn't ever be a red because he's NOT denying him a clear goalscoring opportunity - the penno IS a clear goalscoring opportunity - whereas a free-kick outside the box is not a clear etc, so should result in a red card if the offence was not in the penalty area.

The red card should not be transferred to Ox, it should be struck out completely and replaced with a yellow for Ox.

Taxi for Marriner!  ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?) - Page 5 F_doh 
SouthernSmugToffee
SouthernSmugToffee

Number of posts : 3935
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Mon 24 Mar 2014, 2:36 pm

This is true.  As is the fact that, when a player who is last man brings down an attacker in the box, it shouldn't ever be a red because he's NOT denying him a clear goalscoring opportunity - the penno IS a clear goalscoring opportunity - whereas a free-kick outside the box is not a clear etc, so should result in a red card if the offence was not in the penalty area.

I feel a barroom brawl is around the corner here.
So, taking the Suarez WC incident, if a player thinks the ball is likely to cross the line, and it's late on, he should handle the ball, take the red, but then appeal if, later, it can be proved the ball would not have crossed the line? Either way you've given away a penalty, but with a possible get-out clause which allows you to play the next game.
Ox should get a red, appeal and lose so he can't play at GP.
The law should be interpreted that may, using the often abused Gobshyte clause.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract Mon 24 Mar 2014, 2:54 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:

So, taking the Suarez WC incident, if a player thinks the ball is likely to cross the line, and it's late on, he should handle the ball, take the red, but then appeal if, later, it can be proved the ball would not have crossed the line?  Either way you've given away a penalty, but with a possible get-out clause which allows you to play the next game.

The real punishment is going to down to ten men - the lesser part of the punishment is the suspension cos you can bring another player in for the next match and, in the case of the Sky clubs, they have no shortage of players in their squad. I think, to make it interesting, if a player gets a red card for denying a goalscoring opporunity, he should wait in a holding area and, if the team score from the resulting free kick or penno, he should be allowed back on. If they miss, he gets an early bath. Be great - say it was us against the Shite and Suarez bit Doris the tea lady in the first minute, would we be better off missing the penno so that he stayed off the pitch, or scoring the penno and him coming back on?
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 25826

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Mon 24 Mar 2014, 3:27 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:

So, taking the Suarez WC incident, if a player thinks the ball is likely to cross the line, and it's late on, he should handle the ball, take the red, but then appeal if, later, it can be proved the ball would not have crossed the line?  Either way you've given away a penalty, but with a possible get-out clause which allows you to play the next game.

The real punishment is going to down to ten men - the lesser part of the punishment is the suspension cos you can bring another player in for the next match and, in the case of the Sky clubs, they have no shortage of players in their squad.  I think, to make it interesting, if a player gets a red card for denying a goalscoring opporunity, he should wait in a holding area and, if the team score from the resulting free kick or penno, he should be allowed back on.  If they miss, he gets an early bath.  Be great - say it was us against the Shite and Suarez bit Doris the tea lady in the first minute, would we be better off missing the penno so that he stayed off the pitch, or scoring the penno and him coming back on?

We'd lose regardless of whether he was on the pitch or not  No 
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22502
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry Horne's Equaliser Mon 24 Mar 2014, 3:43 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:

ROBERTO MARTINEZ - Meet the new boss (Same as the old boss?) - Page 5 361146 

Red cards are overturned all the time if there are grounds for that to be the case.

If a player thinks that the ball is going to cross the line and they are wrong, then they've given away a completely needless penalty which is easily sufficient punishment in my opinion. His loss of bearings has cost his team by virtue of the penalty he's conceded. To send him off as well is excessive and, to the best of my knowledge, does not even form part of the laws of the game - it's nothing to do with interpretation; the rules say you have to be preventing a goalscoring opportunity in order to earn a red card, and he wasn't. Deliberate handball is a bookable offence so Oxlade Chamberlain should have been booked and no more.

I don't really understand your comparison with the Suarez incident to be honest. He should have been sent off and any attempts of the Ghanaians to break his cock ignored. I'm pretty sure that's in the laws of the game too.

Number of posts : 13161

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 20 ... 36  Next