Fulham 0 Everton 0 (Yakubu - oops, sorry, nearly!)

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Go down

Fulham 0 Everton 0 (Yakubu - oops, sorry, nearly!)  - Page 13 Empty Re: Fulham 0 Everton 0 (Yakubu - oops, sorry, nearly!)

Post  Goodison_Gringo on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 5:11 pm

Apart from being bottom of the league i think there were 3 positives to take from today:

1. Looks like Moyes may have realised that Coleman doesn't need to be a defender but could turn into a quality right winger.
2. We look at lot stronger with Fellaini sitting deep. He seemed to push up when Cahill went off but Moyes I think Moyes knows where he wants to play him.
3. The biggest plus for me, Yakubu. Say what you like about him but with each game there are more glimpses that he is getting back to what he was. If Moyes gives him more game time (and he doesn't have much choice at the moment) then when that first goal comes it will be the first of many.

All in all, yes it's been a shite start, we are bottom of the league, but stay positive. Things will improve. If we start winning before November then it's a massive improvement on last season cheers
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Number of posts : 3757
Registration date : 2005-10-18

Back to top Go down

Fulham 0 Everton 0 (Yakubu - oops, sorry, nearly!)  - Page 13 Empty Re: Fulham 0 Everton 0 (Yakubu - oops, sorry, nearly!)

Post  RhinoJagz on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 5:16 pm

Goodison_Gringo wrote:Apart from being bottom of the league i think there were 3 positives to take from today:

1. Looks like Moyes may have realised that Coleman doesn't need to be a defender but could turn into a quality right winger.
2. We look at lot stronger with Fellaini sitting deep. He seemed to push up when Cahill went off but Moyes I think Moyes knows where he wants to play him.
3. The biggest plus for me, Yakubu. Say what you like about him but with each game there are more glimpses that he is getting back to what he was. If Moyes gives him more game time (and he doesn't have much choice at the moment) then when that first goal comes it will be the first of many.

All in all, yes it's been a shite start, we are bottom of the league, but stay positive. Things will improve. If we start winning before November then it's a massive improvement on last season cheers

True. We've used the opening 6 games to feel out our best side and have a few 'trials'. Watch us storm up the table now. I reckon Moyes is holding the lads back for the derby. Very Happy

Number of posts : 26901
Registration date : 2006-01-22

http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 5:17 pm

Goodison_Gringo wrote:Apart from being bottom of the league i think there were 3 positives to take from today:

Agreed. I think I'd be tempted to play Beckford instead of Cahill in the next game though. With both wings pushing forward with Pienaar on the left and Coleman on the right, we could use a second striker in the box. Besides, Cahill looked a bit knocked, knee problems?
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 69580
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 5:18 pm

It probably should be noted how even the table is, a couple of wins and we are mid table. Very Happy
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheep Flavour on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 5:20 pm

Did anyone really see anything that looked good out there?

I saw a team that stepped up its game as after 80 mins and then wasted 2 chances some of there own making some by luck.

Sorry but nothing to get exicited about we are in for a long season.
Sheep Flavour
Sheep Flavour

Number of posts : 4020
Registration date : 2005-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post  The President on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 5:21 pm

The only way is up
The President
The President

Number of posts : 11907
Registration date : 2005-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoJagz on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 5:34 pm

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/everton-3-fulham-0-yakubus-treble-rewards-patience-of-everton-faithful-764007.html

Match reports coming in. Man, the Yak was good today.. Very Happy

Number of posts : 26901
Registration date : 2006-01-22

http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 6:28 pm

Sheep Flavour wrote:Did anyone really see anything that looked good out there?

I saw a team that stepped up its game as after 80 mins and then wasted 2 chances some of there own making some by luck.

Sorry but nothing to get exicited about we are in for a long season.

Disagree mate. Massive improvement on the last few weeks. even the Man Utd game. Yes we lack penetration but the biggest plus for me was that Moyes seems to be getting closer to playing people in their best positions, i.e. Fellaini, Coleman, Osman (bench). Yakubu is looking sharper too. Too many underperforming, particularly Arteta but we all know that he will come good soon.

I feel a lot more positive after watching that. I think things will click soon.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 6:30 pm

Everton boss David Moyes after seeing his side drop to the bottom of the Premier League with a 0-0 draw at Fulham: "I'm a little bit disappointed we didn't get the three points, but pleased we got a clean sheet. This is a hard place for us to come and we showed no lack of confidence. We just couldn't make that killer pass - when we get the box we're just hitting a brick wall."
Super
Super

Number of posts : 37041
Registration date : 2005-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  BB on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 6:40 pm

The Yaks job is to score goals. He failed. How is that good?

We kept a clean sheet, but that doesn't mean Fulham didn't have chances to score.

We kept our other strikers on the bench, and went totally against the wishes of every fan in the universe with the substitutions. 6 games, and no goals for the Yak. I really can't wait to see which lone striker gets played next week. It's not like we don't have any strikers available. It's simply that Moyes plays 4-5-1, even if the last day of the season we need 12 goals to stay up.
BB
BB

Number of posts : 2456
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 6:43 pm

BB wrote:The Yaks job is to score goals. He failed. How is that good?

We kept a clean sheet, but that doesn't mean Fulham didn't have chances to score.

We kept our other strikers on the bench, and went totally against the wishes of every fan in the universe with the substitutions. 6 games, and no goals for the Yak. I really can't wait to see which lone striker gets played next week. It's not like we don't have any strikers available. It's simply that Moyes plays 4-5-1, even if the last day of the season we need 12 goals to stay up.

Thing is Moyes will play 4-5-1 every game he is manager for. For me he doesn't seem to have the balls to make the big decision and change things. As long as this goes on we are going nowhere fast.
Super
Super

Back to top Go down

Post  BB on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 6:50 pm

Super wrote:

Thing is Moyes will play 4-5-1 every game he is manager for. For me he doesn't seem to have the balls to make the big decision and change things. As long as this goes on we are going nowhere fast.

I don't go to matches any more, but if I did, Moyes would hear my displeasure. I would make sure he heard my thoughts. Surely this must be the same for thousands of old bastards like me. It can't be that playing more than one striker hasn't been put to him. He just refuses. Refusing when we are winning is admirable, but refusing when we can't find goals, and sit at the bottom of the table, while 37000 fans pay good money is gross misconduct.
BB
BB

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 6:54 pm

BB wrote:
Super wrote:

I don't go to matches any more, but if I did, Moyes would hear my displeasure. I would make sure he heard my thoughts. Surely this must be the same for thousands of old bastards like me. It can't be that playing more than one striker hasn't been put to him. He just refuses. Refusing when we are winning is admirable, but refusing when we can't find goals, and sit at the bottom of the table, while 37000 fans pay good money is gross misconduct.

Fulham 0 Everton 0 (Yakubu - oops, sorry, nearly!)  - Page 13 Action-s Fulham 0 Everton 0 (Yakubu - oops, sorry, nearly!)  - Page 13 Action-s Fulham 0 Everton 0 (Yakubu - oops, sorry, nearly!)  - Page 13 Action-s
Super
Super

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 6:59 pm

Super wrote:
Everton boss David Moyes after seeing his side drop to the bottom of the Premier League with a 0-0 draw at Fulham: "I'm a little bit disappointed we didn't get the three points, but pleased we got a clean sheet. This is a hard place for us to come and we showed no lack of confidence. We just couldn't make that killer pass - when we get the box we're just hitting a brick wall."
That's because a lot of times our play is too slow. Fulham, just like any other team we have played this season, have time to regroup and defend with the entire team.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 7:00 pm

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
Super wrote:
That's because a lot of times our play is too slow. Fulham, just like any other team we have played this season, have time to regroup and defend with the entire team.

Exactly, we have all this ball, but can't do fook all with it.
Super
Super

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 7:02 pm

Super wrote:
Super wrote:

Even though I'm really disappointed as well of course, it was good to see Coleman starting since he is the kind of player that takes on the defence and tries to make something happen. Something that can not be said about the entire midfield (for starters).
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Gravy & Chips on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 7:24 pm

It wouldn't make a difference if we had 2 strikers or 6, those useless twats in the midfield aren't doing their jobs, ie making goals and scoring them.

All doing a 4-4-2 would do is just weaken our already shite midfield
Gravy & Chips
Gravy & Chips

Number of posts : 13355
Registration date : 2005-10-16

http://www.break.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 7:26 pm

I'll refer you back to this in a 2 or 3 months when he's banging them in for fun again. Yak is looking better and better every game. The service hasn't been great but he looks stronger and sharper each week.

Snapping an Achilles tendon is one serious injury, it takes a long time to come back from and many wouldn't, fucking hell it even killed Brad Pitt. It looks like he will start to get the playing time that he needs (albeit through no other choice). If he gets back to scoring goals like before, and you can't argue with his scoring record, then all of a sudden we are an attractive team scoring goals again.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 7:51 pm

Gravy & Chips wrote:It wouldn't make a difference if we had 2 strikers or 6, those useless twats in the midfield aren't doing their jobs, ie making goals and scoring them.

All doing a 4-4-2 would do is just weaken our already shite midfield
I'd drop Cahill and get a more creative player in there. I think playing with two strikers can't really make things that much worse.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  BB on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 7:53 pm

Goodison_Gringo wrote:

I'll refer you back to this in a 2 or 3 months when he's banging them in for fun again. Yak is looking better and better every game. The service hasn't been great but he looks stronger and sharper each week.

Snapping an Achilles tendon is one serious injury, it takes a long time to come back from and many wouldn't, fucking hell it even killed Brad Pitt. It looks like he will start to get the playing time that he needs (albeit through no other choice). If he gets back to scoring goals like before, and you can't argue with his scoring record, then all of a sudden we are an attractive team scoring goals again.

With respect to your own thoughts.............

When he knocks them in I'll gladly praise him. Until then, we have other strikers who deserve their turn on the pitch. Stick Yak in the reserves if he isn't ready. Then I'll say 'Aww shucks Yak, you didn't score but you sure looked great out there on the pitch again after your injury'. While he's in the first 11, I expect goals, not sob stories about injuries. If you're not fit, and you're not scoring, then get off the pitch. Forgive me for not sympathizing with a guy who gets paid £60k per week to score goals. The pitch is not there for recuperating. It's there for performing. Very Happy
BB
BB

Back to top Go down

Post  Goodison_Gringo on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 8:08 pm

BB wrote:
Goodison_Gringo wrote:

When he knocks them in I'll gladly praise him. Until then, we have other strikers who deserve their turn on the pitch. Stick Yak in the reserves if he isn't ready. Then I'll say 'Aww shucks Yak, you didn't score but you sure looked great out there on the pitch again after your injury'. While he's in the first 11, I expect goals, not sob stories about injuries. If you're not fit, and you're not scoring, then get off the pitch. Forgive me for not sympathizing with a guy who gets paid £60k per week to score goals. The pitch is not there for recuperating. It's there for performing. Very Happy

Who are the others exactly? The only one available is Beckford who has had more minutes on the pitch than the Yak this season and also scored 0 goals, a league cup penalty aside.
Goodison_Gringo
Goodison_Gringo

Back to top Go down

Post  BB on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 8:31 pm

Goodison_Gringo wrote:
BB wrote:
Goodison_Gringo wrote:

Who are the others exactly? The only one available is Beckford who has had more minutes on the pitch than the Yak this season and also scored 0 goals, a league cup penalty aside.

Louis Saha
James Vaughan
Jermaine Beckford
Magaye Gueye
Yakubu Ayegbeni
Victor Anichebe
Joao Silva
Kieran Agard
Jose Baxter

The above is a list of our strikers. If our midfield players such as Bilyaletdinov, Osman etc are more likely to get a goal, then why have strikers?
If Yakubu and Beckford can't score ( and Beckford scored great goals preseason and hasn't played in every match, and certainly not from the off ) then their contribution is 'nothing'.

Why not give Aggard or Baxter a go, or Gueye? Why play Osman every week, and either sub him on, or sub him off, every week? If Osman can't hold his job down for 90 minutes, then he isn't good enough, surely?

Last season Yakubu scored about 5 goals. Beckford scored over 40. Yakubu isn't fully fit, and rarely has been since arriving. Beckford is. My money is on Beckford, not Yakubu, as Beckford has the chance of a long career with us. Yakubu on the other hand wants out. Why resurrect his career at the expense of Beckford? Why not try and get Beckford up and running instead of Yakubu?
BB
BB

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 8:55 pm

I know a few folks won't agree, but the Yak's overall performance, glaring misses aside, was good today, IMHO. He links up the play really well, helped us keep it on the ground, too. But he's clearly still a fat, slow, lazy chuffer. Should have won that game by a mile. I know we're bottom, but I'm really not arsed, we keep playing like that and points will follow. Nice to see us keep fulham at comfortably bay for long periods and keep pushing for the win at a tough away ground, equally nice to see us keep a clean sheet. Standout performances today were Distin who was imperious, made one slight mistake , but cleared it up sharp. Coleman, who, although naive, did well cutting in from the right and Pienaar who was superb, our only player who really beat a man, tracked back all day long must have won possession back 7 or 8 times for us. I don't care if he's a greedy bastard, give him what he wants to stay here, Davey. He's class and he brings us every bit as much as arteta.

Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15249
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 9:11 pm

Super wrote:
Super wrote:

That's true to an extent, but we made the chances today. We could have scored 3 or 4 easily. Patience is the key.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Sat 25 Sep 2010, 9:14 pm

BB wrote:
Goodison_Gringo wrote:
BB wrote:
Goodison_Gringo wrote:

Louis Saha
James Vaughan
Jermaine Beckford
Magaye Gueye
Yakubu Ayegbeni
Victor Anichebe
Joao Silva
Kieran Agard
Jose Baxter

The above is a list of our strikers. If our midfield players such as Bilyaletdinov, Osman etc are more likely to get a goal, then why have strikers?
If Yakubu and Beckford can't score ( and Beckford scored great goals preseason and hasn't played in every match, and certainly not from the off ) then their contribution is 'nothing'.

Why not give Aggard or Baxter a go, or Gueye? Why play Osman every week, and either sub him on, or sub him off, every week? If Osman can't hold his job down for 90 minutes, then he isn't good enough, surely?

Last season Yakubu scored about 5 goals. Beckford scored over 40. Yakubu isn't fully fit, and rarely has been since arriving. Beckford is. My money is on Beckford, not Yakubu, as Beckford has the chance of a long career with us. Yakubu on the other hand wants out. Why resurrect his career at the expense of Beckford? Why not try and get Beckford up and running instead of Yakubu?

He didn't, mate. He scored 30 or possibly 31.

Actually, this may have been the game to try and play beckford in, as fulham held a fairly high line at times, but in footballing terms and all round contribution to play, Yakubu is miles ahead of Beckford.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 14 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum