606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3: Leighton Baines - Hotter than Cole (sort ya hair out lad)

+52
My other LB is a Ferrari
Dixie Land
Knight of Thorgothshire
Yankthattoffee
Gravy & Chips
hairy cataract
Super
SEFTON
El Pablo
RhinoJagz
Goodison_Gringo
Tonteau
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
anticipate_the_pass
Blue gazza
Merseyblue
Barry Horne's Equaliser
Sack the Juggler
toffee_pies
SouthernSmugToffee
Statman
Doc( Ninetoes )blue
Mr_Ben
Helenqu
Albert
WellOilBeefHooked
Cahill the Great
Michael Crosby S74
Lumper
ToffeeDan
Hinchcliffe Corner
fatboblatch
Kilted_Toffee
Bryan
MagicMike
The Griffin
Top Balcony Blue
Luka Perfect
Bluey
Sheep Flavour
Gazbow
paul
BB
Da Judge
Diamond
tadpole
Brummie No Mates
yankthetoffee
notepad
Valentino Blue
VenezuelaBlue
He's Our Tater Not Yours
56 posters

Page 8 of 29 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18 ... 29  Next

Go down

3: Leighton Baines - Hotter than Cole (sort ya hair out lad) - Page 8 Empty Re: 3: Leighton Baines - Hotter than Cole (sort ya hair out lad)

Post  Gravy & Chips Thu 23 Dec 2010, 7:09 pm

Tonteau wrote:Apparently a deal may have been agreed between the clubs, but Baines didn't want to move:

Rafael Honigstein From about 6 min 45 seconds on the guardian football weekly podcast:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/audio/2010/dec/23/football-weekly-extra-podcast

If that was true, I doubt it would have been with Moyes's blessing and it could have been the last straw for him
Gravy & Chips
Gravy & Chips

Number of posts : 13355
Registration date : 2005-10-16

http://www.break.com/

Back to top Go down

3: Leighton Baines - Hotter than Cole (sort ya hair out lad) - Page 8 Empty Re: 3: Leighton Baines - Hotter than Cole (sort ya hair out lad)

Post  Sheep Flavour Sun 16 Jan 2011, 10:55 am

Everton defender Leighton Baines was on his way to buy a trampoline when he received a 10-second phone call from Fabio Capello telling him he would not be playing for England at the World Cup in South Africa.
Full story: Mail on Sunday
Sheep Flavour
Sheep Flavour

Number of posts : 4020
Registration date : 2005-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Sun 16 Jan 2011, 11:13 am

Sheep Flavour wrote:Everton defender Leighton Baines was on his way to buy a trampoline when he received a 10-second phone call from Fabio Capello telling him he would not be playing for England at the World Cup in South Africa.
Full story: Mail on Sunday

He's not the tallest, but carrying a trampoline around a footy pitch seems a bit extreme.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22536
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Sun 16 Jan 2011, 12:58 pm

of all our players, I thought LB would be the main target thsi summer.
He's going to be tough to hold on to. Big Fella too.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Mon 17 Jan 2011, 9:30 pm

Does anyone else think Baines is a defensive liability? Great going forward but I've lost count of the number of defensive mistakes he has made this season. He can be forgiven for being caught upfield after we have attacked but there has been some sloppy play and bad decision making defensively. His favourite one is to charge upfield to close down an attacker on the left wing and leave acres of grass behind him for their forwards to exploit. Only Distin's ability to read the game has meant these have gone largely unpunished.

I'm wondering if we should use Baines as a left winger like Coleman and get a Pip/Hibbo-type left back in to provide some defensive steel.
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluey Mon 17 Jan 2011, 9:47 pm

Armchair Evertonian wrote:Does anyone else think Baines is a defensive liability? Great going forward but I've lost count of the number of defensive mistakes he has made this season. He can be forgiven for being caught upfield after we have attacked but there has been some sloppy play and bad decision making defensively. His favourite one is to charge upfield to close down an attacker on the left wing and leave acres of grass behind him for their forwards to exploit. Only Distin's ability to read the game has meant these have gone largely unpunished.

I'm wondering if we should use Baines as a left winger like Coleman and get a Pip/Hibbo-type left back in to provide some defensive steel.

I don't think so, reasons being is that Moyes does not mind a ball coming in from wide. he expects the CH's to deal with it. The full backs provide the width in the modern game and when you have Arteta an Fellaini told to sit it in for when said full backs bomb forward you have your flanks covered. Seamus and Phil have what your thinking off which is Phil Defends Seamus bombs forward. Both developing a good understanding of each other. Torres is a fucking nuisance and that is why Silvain had to deal with him. Pushing the fullbacks up pushes you higher up the pitch but you can get caught. Baines is becoming one of the best left backs in the prem, nothing like a Johnson. If you want him to sit like Neville then we will get less goals as his assists are remarkable this year. That little gnome of ours is becoming a great player and next to Distin player of the season for me.
Bluey
Bluey

Number of posts : 23509
Registration date : 2005-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  BB Tue 18 Jan 2011, 2:37 am

Armchair Evertonian wrote:Does anyone else think Baines is a defensive liability? Great going forward but I've lost count of the number of defensive mistakes he has made this season. He can be forgiven for being caught upfield after we have attacked but there has been some sloppy play and bad decision making defensively. His favourite one is to charge upfield to close down an attacker on the left wing and leave acres of grass behind him for their forwards to exploit. Only Distin's ability to read the game has meant these have gone largely unpunished.

I though against United he was caught out many times. I wouldn't say he was a liability, but I think Hibbert is the best flank defender at the club so Baines has a bit to learn yet. I've thought about putting him on the wing in the past myself. It was more to use Heitinga in defence, with Distin on the left plugging things. Needless to say it wasn't popular.
BB
BB

Number of posts : 2456
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Tue 18 Jan 2011, 8:07 am

Blueyaletdinov wrote:

I don't think so, reasons being is that Moyes does not mind a ball coming in from wide. he expects the CH's to deal with it. The full backs provide the width in the modern game and when you have Arteta an Fellaini told to sit it in for when said full backs bomb forward you have your flanks covered. Seamus and Phil have what your thinking off which is Phil Defends Seamus bombs forward. Both developing a good understanding of each other. Torres is a fucking nuisance and that is why Silvain had to deal with him. Pushing the fullbacks up pushes you higher up the pitch but you can get caught. Baines is becoming one of the best left backs in the prem, nothing like a Johnson. If you want him to sit like Neville then we will get less goals as his assists are remarkable this year. That little gnome of ours is becoming a great player and next to Distin player of the season for me.

I think playing him as a winger would free him up to get even more goals and assists. He is better at attacking than defending so may be would should let him play to his strengths with a solid fullback behind him, just like Coleman has.

Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Tue 18 Jan 2011, 8:09 am

I know 3-5-2 isn't fashionable anymore but we have three good CBs, 3 good CMs and two good attacking FBs/wingbacks so may be a 3-5-2 would fit them all in.

.............Heitinga...Jags...Distin.............

Coleman...Arteta....Cahill...Fellaini...Baines

.............Beckford...Saha.............

I like the look of that.
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Thu 20 Jan 2011, 8:31 am

Everton left-back Leighton Baines and Benfica defender Fabio Coentrao have been lined up by Manchester United as possible replacements for Patrice Evra - if the 29-year-old Frenchman joins Real Madrid this summer.
Full story: Daily Telegraph
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  BB Thu 20 Jan 2011, 9:41 am

Armchair Evertonian wrote:Everton left-back Leighton Baines and Benfica defender Fabio Coentrao have been lined up by Manchester United as possible replacements for Patrice Evra - if the 29-year-old Frenchman joins Real Madrid this summer.

Lined up indeed. What don't they get about contracts?
Surely any interest from UTD getting into the open would be breaking regulations?
BB
BB

Number of posts : 2456
Registration date : 2010-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post  Albert Thu 20 Jan 2011, 9:48 am

Armchair Evertonian wrote:I know 3-5-2 isn't fashionable anymore but we have three good CBs, 3 good CMs and two good attacking FBs/wingbacks so may be a 3-5-2 would fit them all in.

I like the look of that.

is it 1996? i'll just pop my reebok classics on and head off down to the paper shop to see because my dial up internet connection is playing up
Albert
Albert

Number of posts : 15653
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr_Ben Thu 20 Jan 2011, 10:00 am

treblA wrote:
Armchair Evertonian wrote:I know 3-5-2 isn't fashionable anymore but we have three good CBs, 3 good CMs and two good attacking FBs/wingbacks so may be a 3-5-2 would fit them all in.

I like the look of that.

is it 1996? i'll just pop my reebok classics on and head off down to the paper shop to see because my dial up internet connection is playing up

3: Leighton Baines - Hotter than Cole (sort ya hair out lad) - Page 8 830563
Mr_Ben
Mr_Ben

Number of posts : 18404
Registration date : 2005-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  El Pablo Sat 22 Jan 2011, 1:49 pm

A short interview from from Sky Sports News this morning:

El Pablo
El Pablo

Number of posts : 496
Registration date : 2007-04-08

Back to top Go down

Post  SouthernSmugToffee Mon 21 Feb 2011, 1:05 pm

A definite nominee for PFA footballer for year IMO.

He has definitely been our player of the year so far!

His delivery and deadball play has been sublime all season and his overall play has been exemplary.
Did anyone notice him cut in and shoot with right foot on Saturday?

Capello are you watching?
SouthernSmugToffee
SouthernSmugToffee

Number of posts : 3935
Registration date : 2008-01-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair Mon 21 Feb 2011, 2:27 pm

SouthernSmugToffee wrote:A definite nominee for PFA footballer for year IMO.

He has definitely been our player of the year so far!

His delivery and deadball play has been sublime all season and his overall play has been exemplary.
Did anyone notice him cut in and shoot with right foot on Saturday?

Capello are you watching?

Probably, as are Messrs Redknapp, Ferguson, Wenger and Mancini No
Armchair
Armchair

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentino Blue Mon 21 Feb 2011, 2:44 pm

Armchair Evertonian wrote:Everton left-back Leighton Baines and Benfica defender Fabio Coentrao have been lined up by Manchester United as possible replacements for Patrice Evra - if the 29-year-old Frenchman joins Real Madrid this summer.
Patrice Evra signs new contract with Manchester United
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/9403476.stm

Valentino Blue
Valentino Blue

Number of posts : 7380

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr_Ben Mon 21 Feb 2011, 2:45 pm

Best player, Distin comes second, Arteta last
Mr_Ben
Mr_Ben

Number of posts : 18404
Registration date : 2005-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentino Blue Mon 21 Feb 2011, 3:02 pm

Mr_Ben wrote:Best player, Distin comes second, Arteta last

even behind Vic?

Best player has been Baines by a mile, Distin and Cahill are about equal for second at the moment so all depends on wether Cahill can get back to how he was playing before the asia cup thingy.
Valentino Blue
Valentino Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee Mon 21 Feb 2011, 10:51 pm

Our number 3 is deffo one to hold on to. It may be tough.
BTW, I think Arteta has been asked to play a different role thsi season.
He's getting better each game recently, and does a lot of tireless running, often unnoticed.
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 7538
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Bluey Tue 22 Feb 2011, 7:25 pm

Needs a hair cut... Very Happy
Bluey
Bluey

Number of posts : 23509
Registration date : 2005-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry Horne's Equaliser Wed 23 Feb 2011, 9:06 am

Blueyaletdinov wrote:Needs a hair cut... Very Happy

Very true. He looks like a lego man reject.

But as he can take a half-decent free kick, I don't mind. king

Number of posts : 13161
Registration date : 2005-10-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentino Blue Wed 23 Feb 2011, 11:38 am

Barry Horne's Equaliser wrote:

looks proper 70's with that hair cut, can someone photo shop his head onto starsky or hutch?
Valentino Blue
Valentino Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  fatboblatch Wed 23 Feb 2011, 6:59 pm

Valentino Blue wrote:

looks proper 70's with that hair cut, can someone photo shop his head onto starsky or hutch?
he looks like he could have been in the buzzcocks
fatboblatch
fatboblatch

Number of posts : 1514
Registration date : 2007-08-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Wed 23 Feb 2011, 10:47 pm

fatboblatch wrote:
Valentino Blue wrote:

he looks like he could have been in the buzzcocks
Or exploding teardrops.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74366
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 29 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 18 ... 29  Next