Jack Rodwell - Beckenbauer in err Sky Blue

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next

Go down

Jack Rodwell - Beckenbauer in err Sky Blue - Page 15 Empty Re: Jack Rodwell - Beckenbauer in err Sky Blue

Post  hairy cataract on Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:10 pm

Dixie Land wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:Strange really, we've got three players in the England squad and we're playing some of the worst football we've seen in years. And Hibbo has been playing better than any of the three named.

Very true mate.

Baines and Jagielka have looked shadows of their former selves over the past couple of weeks and have both made mistakes which have cost us points.

Baines hasn't had a decent left-sided partner for months though. Drenthe plays his own game, which doesn't really fit in with Baines. Barkley played over there when he came on against ManUre, but his natural game is to drift inside rather than link up with the left back. And now Baines seems to be suffering a drop in confidence, which is bad news because I don't think he is the most self-confident of characters. He desperately needs a Pienaar type of player next to him. I thought Jags looked a bit better against Newcastle at times, and Rodwell has been solid if unspectacular this season.

If anything, it just shows the dire state of English football.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Number of posts : 24046
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.worldofgoats.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Jack Rodwell - Beckenbauer in err Sky Blue - Page 15 Empty Re: Jack Rodwell - Beckenbauer in err Sky Blue

Post  Dixie Land on Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:14 pm

hairy cataract wrote:
Dixie Land wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:Strange really, we've got three players in the England squad and we're playing some of the worst football we've seen in years. And Hibbo has been playing better than any of the three named.

Very true mate.

Baines and Jagielka have looked shadows of their former selves over the past couple of weeks and have both made mistakes which have cost us points.

Baines hasn't had a decent left-sided partner for months though. Drenthe plays his own game, which doesn't really fit in with Baines. Barkley played over there when he came on against ManUre, but his natural game is to drift inside rather than link up with the left back. And now Baines seems to be suffering a drop in confidence, which is bad news because I don't think he is the most self-confident of characters. He desperately needs a Pienaar type of player next to him. I thought Jags looked a bit better against Newcastle at times, and Rodwell has been solid if unspectacular this season.

I agree about Baines Hairy. It was the same when he played for England and Gerrard played infront of him. Gerrard drifted infield all game (which I can't blame him for because he is a central midfielder) leaving Baines in the lurch. I am still to make my mind up about Drenthe. He is a talent but is doesn't track back and isn't a real trier. His defending for Taylor's goal on Saturday was shocking.
Dixie Land
Dixie Land

Number of posts : 20992
Registration date : 2006-01-07

http://www.myspace.com/dixieland1978

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 1:12 am

Dixie Land wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Dixie Land wrote:

Very true mate.

I agree about Baines Hairy. It was the same when he played for England and Gerrard played infront of him. Gerrard drifted infield all game (which I can't blame him for because he is a central midfielder) leaving Baines in the lurch. I am still to make my mind up about Drenthe. He is a talent but is doesn't track back and isn't a real trier. His defending for Taylor's goal on Saturday was shocking.
I think Drenthe is the type of player who can feature on loads of highlight reels because of some of the spectacular stuff he does. Having said that, he's way too lazy and doesn't track back enough, he simply gives up and lets the player he is suppose to close down do whatever he wants. The Taylor goal being a prime example of not getting stuck in and trying to prevent a player from having a pop at goal.

Funny thing is that I recorded an Everton game some time back, a couple of weeks ago maybe, can't recall who we played either. Anyway, I showed my 10-year old who just started playing football two incidences from that Everton game:

1 - Drenthe doesn't track back, lets his player get away and 3-4 seconds later the opposing team has scored.

2 - Jags is in a one on one battle and he tackles, getting the ball, and preventing a goal scoring opportunity.

My point to my son was that you have to track back, get the tackle in and don't give up. It's just too bad that I could show it using Everton players as examples.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 68516

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 7:36 am

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
Dixie Land wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Dixie Land wrote:

Very true mate.

I think Drenthe is the type of player who can feature on loads of highlight reels because of some of the spectacular stuff he does. Having said that, he's way too lazy and doesn't track back enough, he simply gives up and lets the player he is suppose to close down do whatever he wants. The Taylor goal being a prime example of not getting stuck in and trying to prevent a player from having a pop at goal.

Funny thing is that I recorded an Everton game some time back, a couple of weeks ago maybe, can't recall who we played either. Anyway, I showed my 10-year old who just started playing football two incidences from that Everton game:

1 - Drenthe doesn't track back, lets his player get away and 3-4 seconds later the opposing team has scored.

2 - Jags is in a one on one battle and he tackles, getting the ball, and preventing a goal scoring opportunity.

My point to my son was that you have to track back, get the tackle in and don't give up. It's just too bad that I could show it using Everton players as examples.

Maybe you could show some videos of your son playing to Everton players? Laughing
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 19740
Registration date : 2006-06-01

http://www.heavyrotation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Mon 07 Nov 2011, 2:07 pm

Armchair Evertonian wrote:
Dixie Land wrote:
hairy cataract wrote:
Dixie Land wrote:

Very true mate.

Maybe you could show some videos of your son playing to Everton players? Laughing
Very Happy He has a lot to learn though (just like some of the Everton players, I suppose).
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:39 am

Jack Rodwell - Beckenbauer in err Sky Blue - Page 15 Article-2058609-0EB4834600000578-92_468x394
Super
Super

Number of posts : 36895
Registration date : 2005-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoJagz on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 9:59 am

Some late committee changes.

Jack Rodwell - Beckenbauer in err Sky Blue - Page 15 Articl11

Number of posts : 26901
Registration date : 2006-01-22

http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 1:48 pm

Super wrote:Jack Rodwell - Beckenbauer in err Sky Blue - Page 15 Article-2058609-0EB4834600000578-92_468x394
Doesn't even really look like him to me.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Bryan on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 2:28 pm

*jizzes* I love you

Bryan

Number of posts : 14338
Registration date : 2006-01-30

http://www.nba.com/heat/

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 3:07 pm

Bryan wrote:*jizzes* I love you
affraid affraid affraid
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys on Tue 08 Nov 2011, 5:29 pm

Bryan wrote:*jizzes* I love you
affraid affraid affraid
king
Made 4 Gwladys
Made 4 Gwladys

Number of posts : 34498

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Tue 15 Nov 2011, 10:21 pm

Oh Jack! Missed a sitter tonight, but played alright. Done himself no harm.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15249
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Super on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 8:51 am

Tonteau wrote:Oh Jack! Missed a sitter tonight, but played alright. Done himself no harm.

Thought he played really well for the time that he was on the pitch. Yes he missed that sitter, but ahd a couple mroe chances including a long range effort from outside of the area.

Good to see him getting into the box and getting into goal scoring positions.
Super
Super

Number of posts : 36895
Registration date : 2005-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 10:49 am

Super wrote:
Tonteau wrote:Oh Jack! Missed a sitter tonight, but played alright. Done himself no harm.

Thought he played really well for the time that he was on the pitch. Yes he missed that sitter, but ahd a couple mroe chances including a long range effort from outside of the area.

Good to see him getting into the box and getting into goal scoring positions.

Largely agree, but that goal would really have boosted his confidence.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Royal Blue Mersey on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 11:53 am

Added something to his transfer value I think.
He got a good write up after the game but I did notice one question "will he be able to continue his momentum in a struggling Everton side"
Another veiled comment that he'll have to go one of the "big" clubs to progress and perhaps to keep his England place.
Royal Blue Mersey
Royal Blue Mersey

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Dixie Land on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 12:56 pm

I think this England call up could be the kick up the backside that Rodwell needs. I think he is a quality young player but he does have a tendency to go through to motions in some games and not get as involved as he perhaps should. I think comments from Capello like:

Asked whether Rodwell had now played himself into contention for Euro 2012, Capello said: "At the end of the season, I will decide".

will give Rodwell the motivation to really give it a go this season. I have always rated him and Fellaini as our central midfield pair (whether it is with a midfielder behind or infront of them or with 2 up top) and I hope that the England carrot will help Rodwell perform even better.
Dixie Land
Dixie Land

Number of posts : 20992
Registration date : 2006-01-07

http://www.myspace.com/dixieland1978

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 2:18 pm

I thought Jack was good last night, not brilliant but definitely better than he is when he plays for us. As far as I can tell, that's probably cos he was in a better team last night. Not a great team by any means, but individual for individual better than the current Everton team. So what we were seeing is a glimpse of what Rodwell would be capable of in a decent team. And the answer is - well, the jury's out.

But thinking about it, Rodwell may not have progressed because he's playing in such an average side at the moment. There's never an outlet for him, so he passes sideways. There's never any movement around him, so he goes backwards. Given a season in a good team, Jack himself would be able see what he was capable of and so would everyone else. If I was advising him, I'd tell him to take his chances elsewhere. Not necessarily at ManUre or Chelsea, cos he probably wouldn't get many opportunities there, but maybe at a team with a few better creative players in midfield than we have, where he could have more choices when he has the ball.

To be honest, with their current buying policy, I'm really surprised the Shite aren't tapping him up affraid
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 3:44 pm

hairy cataract wrote:I thought Jack was good last night, not brilliant but definitely better than he is when he plays for us. As far as I can tell, that's probably cos he was in a better team last night. Not a great team by any means, but individual for individual better than the current Everton team. So what we were seeing is a glimpse of what Rodwell would be capable of in a decent team. And the answer is - well, the jury's out.

But thinking about it, Rodwell may not have progressed because he's playing in such an average side at the moment. There's never an outlet for him, so he passes sideways. There's never any movement around him, so he goes backwards. Given a season in a good team, Jack himself would be able see what he was capable of and so would everyone else. If I was advising him, I'd tell him to take his chances elsewhere. Not necessarily at ManUre or Chelsea, cos he probably wouldn't get many opportunities there, but maybe at a team with a few better creative players in midfield than we have, where he could have more choices when he has the ball.

To be honest, with their current buying policy, I'm really surprised the Shite aren't tapping him up affraid

The movement around him last night was awful. Players would constantly be isolated with no one showing for a pass and no one within 15 metres of them. Hence, backwards/sideways passes all over the shop.

The main reasons Rodwell hasn't progressed over the past couple of years are

A: He got injured...then injured again. Thus he couldn't get many games. Pienaar and Arteta were ahead of him in the midfield pecking order so even in peak fitness it was going to be hard for him to get a lot of play.

B: No one really knows what his best position is. Initially we'd always thought he'd be a defensive midfielder, Moyes told us he saw him dropping back into the centre half slot, but towards the end of the 2009/10 season we saw Rodwell bursting forward with far more attacking intent. The wonderful shimmy on the wing vs Man City which wrong footed Kompany (fantastic defender) and set up our second and the break and finish for 3-1 against United

Personally, I see him as a deep lying box-to-box midfielder. Sitting with Fellaini, who's the more defensive player, and able to break forward in the knowledge he'll be covered. That's kind of how he's been playing this season and thus he's got an england call up. If he continues like that, I think we'll see the best of rodwell. He still needs more aggression in his play. But that can be coached in/learnt with experience.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Statman on Wed 16 Nov 2011, 5:04 pm

He seemed to jump over the ball and struggled to get down to head it in.
Statman
Statman

Number of posts : 7089
Registration date : 2005-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Yankthattoffee on Sun 20 Nov 2011, 12:58 pm

Statman wrote:

Afraid of getting butted on the nose?

BTW, what's up with Rodders? Back problem after his England debut?
Yankthattoffee
Yankthattoffee

Number of posts : 6352
Location : In Darkest South Liverpool (security light went out)
Registration date : 2011-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr_Ben on Sun 20 Nov 2011, 2:03 pm

Yankthattoffee wrote:
Statman wrote:

Afraid of getting butted on the nose?

BTW, what's up with Rodders? Back problem after his England debut?

Hurt his ribs, out for a couple week max.
Mr_Ben
Mr_Ben

Number of posts : 18404
Registration date : 2005-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Armchair on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 8:15 am

Sir Alex Ferguson will make a £20m January bid for Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell as the Manchester United boss looks to settle a midfield crisis that has seen three of his main first team options sidelined with injuries.
Full story: Caught Offside
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 19740
Registration date : 2006-06-01

http://www.heavyrotation.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  RhinoJagz on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 9:54 am

Armchair Evertonian wrote:Sir Alex Ferguson will make a £20m January bid for Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell as the Manchester United boss looks to settle a midfield crisis that has seen three of his main first team options sidelined with injuries.

Crisis eh.... Idea

Since it's you Alex, let's make that £40m

Number of posts : 26901
Registration date : 2006-01-22

http://www.cardboardboxes.ie/

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Crosby S74 on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:29 am

Bluejags wrote:
Armchair Evertonian wrote:Sir Alex Ferguson will make a £20m January bid for Everton midfielder Jack Rodwell as the Manchester United boss looks to settle a midfield crisis that has seen three of his main first team options sidelined with injuries.

Crisis eh.... Idea

Could he not get Sneijder for a bit more than 20M? He needs a Sneijder more than a Rodwell I reckon.

Number of posts : 28005
Registration date : 2005-10-13

http://www.myspace.com/mtcefc

Back to top Go down

Post  hairy cataract on Thu 15 Dec 2011, 10:39 am

Michael Crosby S74 wrote:
Bluejags wrote:

Crisis eh.... Idea

Could he not get Sneijder for a bit more than 20M? He needs a Sneijder more than a Rodwell I reckon.

Yes he deffo needs someone with more experience but on the other hand, remind me again, have much did the Shite pay for Jordan Henderson? Young, English, versatile.... ker-ching.
hairy cataract
hairy cataract

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 21 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 21  Next