606 Evertonians
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

16: Jermaine Beckford - Fox in the Box

+44
Super
Gravy & Chips
Hinchcliffe Corner
My other LB is a Ferrari
tadpole
Doc( Ninetoes )blue
Goodison_Gringo
Brummie No Mates
Da Judge
Cahill the Great
Tonteau
Barry Horne's Equaliser
Diamond
BB
Armchair
Knight of Thorgothshire
RhinoJagz
The Griffin
Bluey
Sack the Juggler
SEFTON
Top Balcony Blue
SouthernSmugToffee
MagicMike
Dixie Land
Michael Crosby S74
Gazbow
Blue gazza
Bryan
Lumper
paul
Valentino Blue
Sheep Flavour
ToffeeDan
notepad
Albert
mindyerEnvelopeRef?
Luka Perfect
Statman
yankthetoffee
toffee_pies
hairy cataract
Helenqu
He's Our Tater Not Yours
48 posters

Page 11 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next

Go down

16: Jermaine Beckford - Fox in the Box - Page 11 Empty Re: 16: Jermaine Beckford - Fox in the Box

Post  Armchair Sat 27 Nov 2010, 5:39 pm

Despite all his misses today, I would put him ahead of Yak and Saha (who was utterly annonymous again today) in the pecking order. As MagicMike said, he is getting into scoring positions, giving the midfielders a target to pass or cross to. Yak and Saha just aren't doing that.
Armchair
Armchair

Number of posts : 22502
Registration date : 2006-06-01

Back to top Go down

16: Jermaine Beckford - Fox in the Box - Page 11 Empty Re: 16: Jermaine Beckford - Fox in the Box

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 27 Nov 2010, 5:40 pm

Armchair Evertonian wrote:Despite all his misses today, I would put him ahead of Yak and Saha (who was utterly annonymous again today) in the pecking order. As MagicMike said, he is getting into scoring positions, giving the midfielders a target to pass or cross to. Yak and Saha just aren't doing that.
Beckford is mobile, but a bit light weight and needs to inprove on his first touch. If he can do that, he could be lethal.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Number of posts : 74305
Registration date : 2005-10-17

http://www.amonamarth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 27 Nov 2010, 5:41 pm

Armchair Evertonian wrote:Despite all his misses today, I would put him ahead of Yak and Saha (who was utterly annonymous again today) in the pecking order. As MagicMike said, he is getting into scoring positions, giving the midfielders a target to pass or cross to. Yak and Saha just aren't doing that.
If you are right & Beckford is our best striking option... we're going to be relegated

Number of posts : 40814

http://www.doogle.org/

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 27 Nov 2010, 5:42 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
If you are right & Beckford is our best striking option... we're going to be relegated
Cahill needs to score more... Laughing
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 27 Nov 2010, 5:44 pm

Knight of Thorgothshire wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
He's fucking off... we're going down

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Sat 27 Nov 2010, 5:48 pm

Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
We clearly need to put together some wins. 7 draws is not helping the cause either.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  MagicMike Sat 27 Nov 2010, 5:50 pm

MagicMike wrote:He's the only striker we have that's actually getting into positions and getting chances. Yes, he's missing them but he's doing more than Yak or Saha at the minute, in less time too.
Agreed. He ciould have scored 3-4 goals based on his chances. Saha and the Yak zero among the two of them.

I really think he's missing that last piece of quality though. I watched Bayern Munchen play Lyon the other day and Gomes (Gomez?) had two half chances and he scored on both. The first thing that popped into my mind was "Does Everton have a player that could do that?". The answer is simply "No, we don't."
Yes, I think he's lacking a bit too. His touch is a little slack and he doesn't look like his decision making is really up there.

He seems like he's going to be a player who'll miss several chances before scoring one. The upshot is that he seems to be getting chances during his cameos.
MagicMike
MagicMike

Number of posts : 11414
Registration date : 2006-03-04

Back to top Go down

Post  Made 4 Gwladys Sat 27 Nov 2010, 6:18 pm

couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo

Back to top Go down

Post  Doc( Ninetoes )blue Sat 27 Nov 2010, 8:54 pm

[quote="Knight of Thorgothshire"]
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
Made 4 Gwladys wrote:
If you are right & Beckford is our best striking option... we're going to be relegated[/quote]Cahill needs to score more... Laughing
We clearly need to put together some wins. 7 draws is not helping the cause either.

Well at least he will score next season Very Happy
Doc( Ninetoes )blue
Doc( Ninetoes )blue

Number of posts : 2806
Registration date : 2005-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post  tadpole Mon 29 Nov 2010, 10:06 am

gettin into the positions is the most difficult bit, putting them away is often linked to confidence which he is short of, bit of confidence and he'll score goals - The Yak and Saha are a million miles away from scoring.

although i can't help but curse Beckford after the misses he's made, at least he is trying

as an example or a target look at Elmander at Bolton, utter turd but is now doing his bit, a strikers return can change overnight
tadpole
tadpole

Number of posts : 4824
Registration date : 2005-11-02

http://Is, the Daddy.......... :)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr_Ben Mon 29 Nov 2010, 11:38 am

tadpole wrote:gettin into the positions is the most difficult bit, putting them away is often linked to confidence which he is short of, bit of confidence and he'll score goals - The Yak and Saha are a million miles away from scoring.

although i can't help but curse Beckford after the misses he's made, at least he is trying

as an example or a target look at Elmander at Bolton, utter turd but is now doing his bit, a strikers return can change overnight

Would have to admit for the lack of goals Beckford is making a hell of a lot of chances for himself
Mr_Ben
Mr_Ben

Number of posts : 18404
Registration date : 2005-12-01

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentino Blue Mon 29 Nov 2010, 11:42 am

Mr_Ben wrote:
tadpole wrote:gettin into the positions is the most difficult bit, putting them away is often linked to confidence which he is short of, bit of confidence and he'll score goals - The Yak and Saha are a million miles away from scoring.

Would have to admit for the lack of goals Beckford is making a hell of a lot of chances for himself

he was like that at Leeds, needed 10 chances to score 1 goal. the difference is in the prem if we don't take our chances we end up getting punished.
Valentino Blue
Valentino Blue

Number of posts : 7380
Registration date : 2005-10-14

http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Mon 29 Nov 2010, 11:46 am

My opinion on beckford has not changed.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Number of posts : 15976
Registration date : 2005-10-15

http://www.hectortd.demon.co.uk/michaela/

Back to top Go down

Post  Albert Mon 29 Nov 2010, 12:36 pm

moyes has hammered him in todays daily post
Albert
Albert

Number of posts : 15653
Registration date : 2006-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Super Mon 29 Nov 2010, 12:52 pm

treblA wrote:moyes has hammered him in todays daily post

David Moyes issues warning to Everton FC strikers

EVERTON manager David Moyes has warned striker Jermaine Beckford that he needs to start converting his chances.

Substitute Beckford looked the most likely to score out of all four of the strikers Moyes used against West Brom on Saturday after coming on as a substitute early in the second half.

However, the 26-year-old, who has netted just one Premier League goal to date, was guilty of missing several good opportunities to get 10-man Everton back in the game and the visitors gave him a lesson in clinical finishing as they romped to a 4-1 victory – their first success at Goodison Park in 31 years.

Moyes said: “At this level you can’t afford to miss chances like that.

“We’ve said the last few weeks that we have been punished for our poor finishing, and nowhere was that more apparent than here.

“Look what happened. Beckford had a great chance that had we scored then maybe we were close to winning the game, and instead we have the double whammy of the miss and we get a player sent off.

“I think for him, he needs a much better goals ratio than that, because it’s not often you get so many chances at this level.

“It doesn’t matter what level you are at, you have to put some of those away.”

He added: “When you come to a Premier League club, you know what you’re good at.

“If it’s heading, you still go out and head it, if it’s goalscoring, you have to still go out and finish when you get chances like that.

“Let’s be fair to him, we weren’t getting any chances before he came on, and after he did, we had lots.

“But he needs to convert them, and as a team we can’t keep missing them, because we are in a bit of trouble now.”

Fit-again Victor Anichebe made his first appearance of the season, playing on the right hand side of midfield rather than as a centre-forward but Everton’s other senior strikers Beckford, Ayegbeni Yakubu and Louis Saha have netted just two Premier League goals between them this term.

Moyes admits he is concerned by the situation but concedes he is unlikely to have the funds to bring in fresh blood in the transfer window.

He said: “I don’t know if things will change, but as things stand at the moment there is no money to buy any strikers in January, so we will have to look to players to step up and take more responsibility.

“The idea was that we don’t want to be chopping and changing too much, so we gave Yak a run, but he didn’t work here, so we will have to take another long look at it.”

After going on a seven-game unbeaten run, Everton have only collected a single point from their last three Premier League fixtures and Moyes knows they must improve.

He said: “The fact is, we have not performed well enough over the piece so far.

“We have put in some good performances, but not consistently enough, and our form has suffered badly in recent weeks.

“We are in a bad position.”
Super
Super

Number of posts : 38074
Registration date : 2005-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentino Blue Mon 29 Nov 2010, 1:14 pm

treblA wrote:moyes has hammered him in todays daily post

and Saha and Yak too. having a go at Beckford for missing the chances whilst having a pop at the other two for not even getting in a position to miss them.

what is the answer who starts

beckford from the start against chelsea? can he be trusted as any chance we get needs to be taken, I can't see him getting the amount of chances against them and they won't be as easy as the ones he's missed.

Saha - just no, he's shown nothing, fluffed the few chances he's had, his movement has been poor and his hold up and link play is terrible.

Yak - probably the best option as far as being a benefit to the team, his hold up play is very good but I have as much faith of him getting in goalscoring positions as I do saha.

Vic - hasn't looked convincing as a striker in the past but then his attitude does seem to have improved alot, always looks better playing from the wing coming in to support a striker. looked very good IMO in the first half, was willing to run at people and have a shot, his strength gives defenders problems.

It might be that with Arteta banned the best option may be to go with two strikers upfront, Yak and Beckford would be my choice or Yak and Anichebe. Saha is a non entity for me now and shouldn't be near our starting 11.
Valentino Blue
Valentino Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Mon 29 Nov 2010, 2:40 pm

I think it's a bit rich of Moyes to get in a thrid division striker and then slag him off for not being up to the task in the premier league.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentino Blue Mon 29 Nov 2010, 3:00 pm

Tonteau wrote:I think it's a bit rich of Moyes to get in a thrid division striker and then slag him off for not being up to the task in the premier league.

that makes it sound worse than it was, to be fair if he'd stayed at Leeds he'd be a championship striker, his goal record shows that he is better than a first division player so probably would have continued to get goals in the championship.

he's shown he is capable of scoring. to miss the chances he's missed is down to him. I'm pissed off with Moyes and the players at the moment. But you can't lay those misses at Moyes, premier league quality or not he's a professional footballer who is a striker and should have finished at least 2 of the chances he had against WBA and that one against sunderland. He was a gamble and unfortunately it's not worked out, even more unfortunately the 2 strikers we have who do have experience of getting premier league goals seem even more unlikely to score than him.

the fact is we all know we needed a top class goal scorer but we didn't and still don't have the funds for one without selling, so we gambled on a freebee from a lower league. When January comes I think we'll find that the supporters will be much more open to letting some players go than they did in the summer (you've really got to wonder how much we are supposed to have been offered for Arteta at the moment).
Valentino Blue
Valentino Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Tonteau Mon 29 Nov 2010, 4:39 pm

Valentino Blue wrote:
Tonteau wrote:I think it's a bit rich of Moyes to get in a thrid division striker and then slag him off for not being up to the task in the premier league.

that makes it sound worse than it was, to be fair if he'd stayed at Leeds he'd be a championship striker, his goal record shows that he is better than a first division player so probably would have continued to get goals in the championship.

he's shown he is capable of scoring. to miss the chances he's missed is down to him. I'm pissed off with Moyes and the players at the moment. But you can't lay those misses at Moyes, premier league quality or not he's a professional footballer who is a striker and should have finished at least 2 of the chances he had against WBA and that one against sunderland. He was a gamble and unfortunately it's not worked out, even more unfortunately the 2 strikers we have who do have experience of getting premier league goals seem even more unlikely to score than him.

the fact is we all know we needed a top class goal scorer but we didn't and still don't have the funds for one without selling, so we gambled on a freebee from a lower league. When January comes I think we'll find that the supporters will be much more open to letting some players go than they did in the summer (you've really got to wonder how much we are supposed to have been offered for Arteta at the moment).

Not really. However you dress it up, he's a player who has never played above the third tier of English football. For Moyes to get him in for free and then complain he's not putting his chances away just seems a bit daft to me. I said it first game I saw him and I haven't changed my mind, he's not good enough for the premier league. It was a low stakes gamble, it hasn't paid off and we should cut our losses and get rid when the time is right. I really hope he gets a few goals, cos I don't have a problem with him. But he's not good enough for everton.
Tonteau
Tonteau

Back to top Go down

Post  Top Balcony Blue Mon 29 Nov 2010, 4:46 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Valentino Blue wrote:

Not really. However you dress it up, he's a player who has never played above the third tier of English football. For Moyes to get him in for free and then complain he's not putting his chances away just seems a bit daft to me. I said it first game I saw him and I haven't changed my mind, he's not good enough for the premier league. It was a low stakes gamble, it hasn't paid off and we should cut our losses and get rid when the time is right. I really hope he gets a few goals, cos I don't have a problem with him. But he's not good enough for everton.

I agree with that, although at least one of those chances could and would have been buried by a non-league player!
Top Balcony Blue
Top Balcony Blue

Number of posts : 9812
Registration date : 2005-10-21

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Mon 29 Nov 2010, 7:18 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Valentino Blue wrote:

Makes you wonder what Moyes expected when he got him in the first place.
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentino Blue Mon 29 Nov 2010, 8:54 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Valentino Blue wrote:

Suggesting he's from the 3rd division so shouldn't be expected to make it in the premiership is what. I was suggesting was misleading,

Either way, I'm in agreement that he's not good enough, I said that when we were first linked with him, but I don't think its unreasonable for moyes to expect him to finish the chances he's missed given his past record. No matter what division he came from putting the ball in the back of the net is the same and the chances he's missed are no more difficult than ones he's scored before.
Valentino Blue
Valentino Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Valentino Blue Mon 29 Nov 2010, 8:59 pm

Tonteau wrote:
Valentino Blue wrote:

Probably what a lot of people expected, he might not be too good technically but if we can throw him on towards the end of the game and use his pace to get behind the tired defence if you give him chances he's got to score some of them.

For a free when were short on transfer fees and money for extra wages it was a gamble worth taking.
Valentino Blue
Valentino Blue

Back to top Go down

Post  Knight of Thorgothshire Tue 30 Nov 2010, 1:25 am

Valentino Blue wrote:
Tonteau wrote:
Valentino Blue wrote:

Probably what a lot of people expected, he might not be too good technically but if we can throw him on towards the end of the game and use his pace to get behind the tired defence if you give him chances he's got to score some of them.

For a free when were short on transfer fees and money for extra wages it was a gamble worth taking.
I agree, but that was not really my point. What I meant is that did Moyes think he had a free Tevez or Torres on his hands?
Knight of Thorgothshire
Knight of Thorgothshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Super Sat 04 Dec 2010, 4:47 pm

I LOVE BECKFORD!!!!!
Super
Super

Number of posts : 38074
Registration date : 2005-12-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 16 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next